Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver’s Door Button Stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DeedWest

2008 VP & 2011 2.5 Sport
Feb 5, 2014
Dallas, TX
Just went to unlock my Roadster, pressed the driver’s button as usual (with hardly any force) and it pressed down further than usual. Now, it appears to be stuck. I’ve wiggled it around a bit, and was able to trigger the unlock function after about five minutes, even though it’s still stuck.

Has this happened to anyone, and are there any known fixes? Thanks so much in advance.

There is just a thin steel backing plate under the button that bends inward until it contacts the microswitch. If you didn't bend it by force, the plate is probably broken. If it was loose, I would think it would have happened gradually. You will need to remove the door panel and get a look at it. It is a pain to replace.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Just went to unlock my Roadster, pressed the driver’s button as usual (with hardly any force) and it pressed down further than usual. Now, it appears to be stuck. I’ve wiggled it around a bit, and was able to trigger the unlock function after about five minutes, even though it’s still stuck.

Has this happened to anyone, and are there any known fixes? Thanks so much in advance.
It happened to my passenger door shortly after I took delivery. Although it would stick in the depressed position I was always able to wiggle it until it popped out again. Tesla service "made an adjustment" and it's been working fine ever since. After reading MLAUTO's post I'm not sure if my issue was the same as yours.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Thank you all for the advice. Yeah, @MLAUTO - I’d just stumbled across a similar thread where @Carl W was discussing his door button as well. I figured it may have something to do with that thin metal piece.

I may remove the door panel and take a look at what’s going on.

Hello DeedWest

If you manage to remove the panel, could you please also take some pictures and document the process in the same time (where are the screws, etc...) ? It sure would be a really valuable thing to have as a DIY.

Thanks and good luck :)

I have the same for my #633. A few years back I couldn't open the door, but a slight knock on the door would make the button work again (so actually popping up just enough to release the activator switch so it can be activated again). I reported it for the yearly maintenance but at that time it worked and they didn't know what to do. It comes back every now and then, and I noticed indeed the unit is bend down/in a bit. Like dpeilow says, I think someone tried to force it....and indeed I can peel it up also with my nails if needed. So I'm planning also to remove door panel to find the mounting and fix it - when it's bit warmer here though. I hope picture are available when i do it, and if not i will make pictures and publish. I might also try to add mirror heating at the same time, but I'm not sure i can safely remove and put back the mirror cap etc....

The bolt holes that hold the button on have some play so you can adjust the button to be centered in the door so it doesn't bind. If the button stays down all the time and doesn't appear to be jammed against the opening in the door, then the backing plate is broken or bent.

Reactions: DeedWest
Thanks again for the information.
I walked outside this morning and gave the door one single and firm fist - and BOOM. The most satisfying of clicks. The button popped back up and now it works.

Luckily, my service center was able to find the parts at a warehouse in California. $115 for parts, $230 installed (quote). I’ve decided to just purchase the parts when they arrive and keep them until the day arrives that the handle is unfixable.

Speaking of taking apart the door panel, are there any threads on this? Pardon my ignorance in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Rolf68 and Roadster