TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Driver-adjustable Regen

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Nik, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

A snippet from the TTAC contributor's write-up of the Model S beta factory tour. For those who have strong opinions on the subject, this might be of interest.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/10/tesla-model-s-customer-blog-beta-under-the-bright-lights/#more-413446

Way to go with the customer feedback, but I do hope Elon isn't seeing himself as some form of replacement Steve Jobs.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Why Steve jobs? Because he responded to the email? I +1 adjustable regen though.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

That's good news. But as a "Prius Expert" the information in that statement about the Prius applying the friction brakes is completely false. It was true on the first gen prius, but since late 2003 the 2nd and 3rd gen Prius do not apply the friction brakes at all until you get below 7mph or in abrupt/emergency braking situations.

4. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Is it just me or are the tail lights in the first video in that article (around 20s) different from the Betas we saw on the tracks? They look more Roadster like.

5. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

That, and the apparent making of policy on the hoof. Do that too often and one day you come a cropper.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Same as the ones in the charge port door picks?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#7 TEG, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Yes, there was that one partially finished chassis on the factory floor with the one charge port door people could touch (although no socket behind it) and those big round (LED?) tail light fixtures. My assumption is that they are not anything that would ever see production, and were maybe just a test fixture to make sure the wiring harness could activate the rear lights. They looked like something you could buy at an auto parts store to go on a trailer:
    led.JPG

6213647752_4df88c02c0_z.jpg
    Or maybe those are just buried under the light reflector box that changes the shape of what you see?
    tlight1.jpg

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Having the ability to temporarily disable regen would be wonderful for those rare times you take the car on a track. You don't want it getting in the way of cornering.

For street driving however I'd want as much regen as they can muster.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

This is GREAT news.

Now to get it where it can be adjusted quickly while driving. The AC Propulsion E Box has a 4" mechanical slider on the dash. As i have said before I would love a dedicated steering wheel stalk to adjust regen radidly when approaching a traffic jam (more) driving highways (less) heading into the canyons (more) and general hypermiling (less).

I don't think Fanz reads these boards but if there is an engineer reading this please pass it on the design team as well. :)

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Here you go.....

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

And the pic they posted with it:

screenshot_miriam_cid.jpg

Seems to only show 2 settings though :(

As an aside, is this the first official screengrab of a Model S screen? And will we have screenshotting capabilities?

12. onlinespending

hopefully they allow you change the suspension a bit more easily than clicking through the touchscreen menus. I can see there being times when you need to adjust it rather quickly as you approach a drive-way or speed bump as an example.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Dude, slow down. That's what speed bumps are for......

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I really want to know what the "Jack" button does.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Probably the highest setting to allow you to easily get under it? If so though, I guess those without the air suspension are gonna have it harder.

*edit* or maybe it disables the air suspension and rigidly locks it in place so it's not dangling as you jack the car up

16. Zorba

Zorba Member

I think it probably is a screenshot from a computer screen.

17. goyogi

goyogi Member

Sure, if you know where you are going but often if you don't know the terrain and you for example have to turn into a driveway that is steep you'd want to be able to adjust it quickly instead of annoying all the people behind you. Hopefully they'll have voice control. "KITT (or HAL), raise the suspension". Or "Go go gadget suspension" :)

18. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

The screen simulations are run on computers at Tesla. I am sure this came from one of those setups. Unless Tesla leaks how to screen shot, I doubt it will be a feature at first if ever.

Happy to see adjustable Regen. I hope for more adjustment...

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I believe that changing the suspension will require two 'button' pushes: Controls/RegenLevel. It may require a third (an intermediate Driving push) if your Controls dialog isn't on Driving already. But a voice command ("Tessie, suspension high") may be quicker.

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Yes, the blog posts says that 'some will like a little more and some will like a little less.' That is not available with just two buttons. I would like to see a slider with Aggressive regen on one side, and less regen on the other.