Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver and Passenger door closing and opening issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quite ignorant , but issues are going on since last 5 to 6 months.
On the Driver side door, sometimes, the door would not open despite pressing the handle. It would try to, but failed to open. Has to pull it by grabbing at the edges. Particularly, when it is raining, it is sure to give this problem.
On the Passenger side, most of the time, the door would not open by pressing handle from outside. the driver has to manually reach out to the handle in side and push hard outward. Even closing seems very hard. It would take quite a force to close. sometimes, closing the door after getting out fails. Have to push very hard to close.
Has anyone noticed these problems? Thinking to call SC but hate driving 60 miles and leaving car for few days. Jacksonville SC is notorious for giving a gas car for loaner. Don't like it at all. Please advise if any simple remedy is there.Thanks.

Sounds like something for the SC to me. The only thing I can think of for some of it is an obstruction sensed by the falcon wing door, or a phantom obstruction. That makes the door open only part way and resist a bit when opening further. However, that should not affect the door closing. That could be something like a latch problem, not uncommon on older X's.

Door latches failure is very common on 2016 Model X's. Unfortunately you will have to bring it in (or have Ranger come out?). On the bright side they will replace them with the new versions that are silent.

we had this problem when it was cold on a recent ski trip (10-15F). passenger and driver door would not latch or close. windows froze in position. we had to use some hot water to loosen things up but had to reboot computer each time for the doors to finally start engaging again. have to rethink cold weather travel again and be prepared. did not know about the 2016 problems. we have a 2016 x.

did not know about the 2016 problems. we have a 2016 x.
Falcon wing door problems have been known for a long time.

Google for stuff like this:
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model x" latches replaced
site:teslamotorsclub.com "model x" fwd issues

Look at these, for example:
2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up under Maintenance & Repairs.
So sad. . .the X is going back to service center :(
Post Initial Problems with the Model X
Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts

I had what sounds like the same issue on my 2016 Model X. Not the Falcon Wing Door problems that people are so familiar with, but an issue with the front door (in this case the passenger) not opening properly. It felt like the mechanism that opens/closes the door wouldn't disengage, so you would feel resistance opening or closing the door and it would only pop open 1/2 or so when opened. SC "performed a hard reset of the right front door module" and it's been fine since.

My car, 06/17 build, has a plastic rod that comes out of the front doors to push against the door frame if the door is stuck. Is that a new feature? This happened a month ago and was surprised to see the feature.

I think there is a problem with those door, my model X went to service last week and this was on the invoice:

Concern: While vehicle was in for service, the left front door had a slight delay when pressing the exterior handle.
Pay Type: Goodwill
MISC Items: NO LABOR PERFORMED Front door latches are on backorder. Mobile installation will take place when parts arrive.

I went to service because of a Falcon Door issue, not opening completely, a sensor was changed, they created thisd problem the last time I went to service:
Concern: Technician noted that the vehicle displayed an alert for the right Falcon door unable
to fully open.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - RH
Removed and replaced the right Falcon door ultrasonic sensor and sensor carrier.
Calibrated system and verified vehicle is functioning as designed.
Part Quantity
SENSOR, ULTRASONIC,
RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE (1055890-00-E)
ASY, SENSOR CARRIER W/ADHESIVES,
RIGHT (1075448-00-C)
Parts Replaced or Added

By the way, Dania Beach Service Center told car will be ready in 2 hours but it took 3 days to be ready!

I was quite ignorant , but issues are going on since last 5 to 6 months.
On the Driver side door, sometimes, the door would not open despite pressing the handle. It would try to, but failed to open. Has to pull it by grabbing at the edges. Particularly, when it is raining, it is sure to give this problem.
On the Passenger side, most of the time, the door would not open by pressing handle from outside. the driver has to manually reach out to the handle in side and push hard outward. Even closing seems very hard. It would take quite a force to close. sometimes, closing the door after getting out fails. Have to push very hard to close.
Has anyone noticed these problems? Thinking to call SC but hate driving 60 miles and leaving car for few days. Jacksonville SC is notorious for giving a gas car for loaner. Don't like it at all. Please advise if any simple remedy is there.Thanks.

Yep right front door swings extremely fast opening beyond stop! Then wont close. Service replaced in morning. Sa.e problem inly worse late afternoon. Can't close door. Reset computer. Finally closed manually. Not funny in Rainy season. Tried to schedule again now texting service manager in Miami.

Yep right front door swings extremely fast opening beyond stop! Then wont close. Service replaced in morning. Sa.e problem inly worse late afternoon. Can't close door. Reset computer. Finally closed manually. Not funny in Rainy season. Tried to schedule again now texting service manager in Miami.
I had the same problem, in fact it flung open into my wife's brand new Model 3 and dented the door quite effectively. Tesla replaced the front door drive unit due to corrosion, it's been fine since. They were also able to repair the dent in the Model 3 at no charge since it was caused by the failure in the Model X door.