Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Assist Features Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85D with AutoPilot 1. On Friday, coming home from work, we had a decent snow storm here. After driving in the snow for about 15-20 minutes the "Driver Assist Features Unavailable - if problem persists, contact Tesla Service". No big deal I thought at the time, the front camera probably can't see very well through the snow storm, and also the front radar is probably caked with snow, as this has happened a couple times before in the past. When I got home, the entire front of the car was indeed caked with snow. However, over the weekend, all the snow melted off the car while in my garage, and the error message persists. I drove it probably about 10 miles Saturday with the car completely clear of any snow, in sunny conditions, and the message did not go away. I tried rebooting the IC and the MCU. Didn't go away. Later that day I called Tesla Service and they had be do a power down for 3 minutes and then power it back up. As soon as I shifted the car into Drive, the message re-appeared. I tried powering down again for probably about 10 minutes or so on Sunday. Same thing, once I shifted into drive, the message re-appeared. The car is out of warranty by about 3 weeks now, and the nearest Service Center is over an hour away, so I would like to at least make an attempt to try and avoid going there... I find it incredibly hard to believe that something actually went wrong at the same time as the car was getting covered with snow, and that it simply isn't correctly re-setting itself somehow, the fact that this initially happened during a snow storm is just too large of a coincidence.

Does anybody have any advice at all?

Thank you!

Did the snow leave any dirt/salt on the bumper when melting?
If the bumper area in front of the radar is really dirt it can block or scramble the signal bad enough to disengage AP.
A little washing can go very far.
The front end, including the radar section does appear to be very clean at this point, but I can try washing again, once temperatures here are at least close to freezing..

I have the exact same problem as you also since friday... i am in the north east where it is now really cold. I tried washing the front of my car, message still there. On the phone Tesla tells me it is because of the snow storm and the cold, but my car sleeps in a heated garage, and the message pops up as soon as i get in... i will maybe stop by the SC tomorrow to ask if they can check it out.

Vinade, let me know what they tell you if you take it into the SC! My garage isn't heated, but it is an attached garage, so rarely gets below freezing in there (it has been below freezing in it Sunday and Monday with the outdoor temps below zero F here. Like you, just moments after I shift into drive, the message comes up...

I've seen this issue several times with my 2017 S 100D with AP2.0 & MCU1.

When leaving the garage in the morning, I immediately get a warning that not all AP features are available.

Each time, after parking the car (and likely having the car enter sleep mode while parked), the problem has cleared and everything gets back to normal.

This will be on my list to get checked at the next annual service.

Our 2015 P85D had the same problem 2 months ago at 43,000 miles. Took it to the Tesla Walnut CA Service Center where they determined the front bumper radar needed realignment... Probably from bumping into a curb (no snow in SoCal). They fixed the loose lower air dam, and realigned our radar and it was all good... at no charge. :cool:

Reactions: d-bone
Finally got a chance to drop by the SC today. Just like BrokerDon, they had to recalibrate the front radar. Took 20 min to fix, and all seem good now. They told me i probably hit some snow (lots of it here in Montreal!)

D-bone if your are only 3 weeks out of warranty and this is the problem, imo they will fix it for free..

Had the same error but in Florida, a big leaf was stuck in the radar. I cleaned the radar but it still didn't work for days so I made a service appointment for the following week, but the same damn afternoon I made the appointment, it just started working without issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe threaten your car with a service center visit? :)

• Funny
Reactions: BrokerDon
Had the same error but in Florida, a big leaf was stuck in the radar. I cleaned the radar but it still didn't work for days so I made a service appointment for the following week, but the same damn afternoon I made the appointment, it just started working without issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe threaten your car with a service center visit? :)

Funny you say that. I was going to send an email to the Tesla Service Center yesterday, but ran out of time, so planned on doing it today. Last night, after work, with temps in the single digits, it just started working again, after not working for about 5 days. Ran another errand last night, worked without any problems. On the way to work today, worked again with zero issues. So I guess it is good to go now! For now at least, but it finally did "fix itself on it's own" I guess.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Reactions: fabionomaz
The same thing happened to me on the same date.
Called Tesla and did a power off and the message disappeared but auto pilot was very squirrely for the remainder of my trip (~100 mi).
Called Tesla again when I got home and they found that my car had "gone dark" after the power off reboot so we rebooted again and they were able to find me and read the logs.
They saw issues with the camera (AP1 has only 1 camera) and fixed it OTA.
All god now.