Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Assist Options Stop Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I noticed all of my driver assist features have stopped working. This includes auto beams, auto headlights, auto pilot, parking assist, cars on the dashboard, etc. Everything was working last night. I called Tesla this morning and I was told it is a known problem and they are working on a software update. Curious to see how many are affected. I am running software version v 9.0 (2018.42.2.19e7e44)

This morning I noticed all of my driver assist features have stopped working. This includes auto beams, auto headlights, auto pilot, parking assist, cars on the dashboard, etc. Everything was working last night. I called Tesla this morning and I was told it is a known problem and they are working on a software update. Curious to see how many are affected. I am running software version v 9.0 (2018.42.2.19e7e44)
When you see symptoms like this - it means your autopilot computer crashed 3 times in a row and enters the failsafe mode.

To reset it, park in a safe place and execute "car poweroff" procedure for 2 minutes (i.e. let the car stay powered off for 2 minutes), that would restart the autopilot computer and hopefully clears the problem. Leaving the car parked with nobody inside would have the same effect, only slower.

On the way into work today I had my IC just shut down all together while I was traveling 70MPH on the interstate. Kind of scary. It came back online after about 3 minutes. Running 42.2

Funny thing was AP was still drive the car, tho I disengaged to take control of the car while the IC was off. The center main screen remained on and tracking just fine during all this. And when the IC came back on I noticed a off-the-charts spike on the energy graph.

When you see symptoms like this - it means your autopilot computer crashed 3 times in a row and enters the failsafe mode.

To reset it, park in a safe place and execute "car poweroff" procedure for 2 minutes (i.e. let the car stay powered off for 2 minutes), that would restart the autopilot computer and hopefully clears the problem. Leaving the car parked with nobody inside would have the same effect, only slower.
The issue is, though, why have many (hundreds?) cars had the same issue today? Weather? Mothership issues? What?

If all will auto-reset overnight or during the day (parked), excellent, but WTF, and why doesn't Tesla Support know? I saw one mention of 'gonna replace the computer'.

Man....

The issue is, though, why have many (hundreds?) cars had the same issue today? Weather? Mothership issues? What?

If all will auto-reset overnight or during the day (parked), excellent, but WTF, and why doesn't Tesla Support know? I saw one mention of 'gonna replace the computer'.

Man....
Ok, I have a pet theory. And it is: somebody pushed bad triggers round. So all cars that got 'em are crashing I have seen that happen before. This would explain why it happens all of a sudden without any firmware upgrades and on a bunch of cars, but not all of them.
It's more likely than rather than bad map update because bad map update would probably be more localized.

Naturally since my car does not get any triggers for quite.a while, I am not affected. Other people I know that don't get triggers are also not affected.

And re "why doesn't Tesla Support know" when was the last time they actually knew something for sure? They seem to be super disconnected from everything and for all I care they might be just reading forums to get their knowledge ;)

So I called TESLA again at around 5:45 pm est.

I told them that all my driver assist features where still gone. They said they would likely be back online for me in a few hours. I tried to get more out of the guy but he wouldn’t tell me exactly what happened, just that it was a software issue that would be “fixed with a patch.”

Interestingly enough I got a call from from TESLA at 8:00 pm est saying that they just wanted to let me know that my autopilot was now working. I was at a business meeting, but when I left it was all back to normal.

Reactions: chdavis and Bogobec