Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Assistance Feature Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeKFE

2023 MXP | 2023 MSLR
Jun 22, 2016
Dallas, TX
Took my 60D in for some minor work today (tire rotation, badging, rattle on the dash).

When I picked the car up this afternoon I got a message saying "Driver Assistance Feature Unavailable. If problem persists, contact Tesla service".

I went back inside and inquired and was told that the sensors may be re-calibrating and to give it 1-2 days. They admitted they didn't do anything that should have impacted the calibration and were unsure why I'd be getting the message.

Has anyone else experienced this message? If so, what had happened?

Took my 60D in for some minor work today (tire rotation, badging, rattle on the dash).

When I picked the car up this afternoon I got a message saying "Driver Assistance Feature Unavailable. If problem persists, contact Tesla service".

I went back inside and inquired and was told that the sensors may be re-calibrating and to give it 1-2 days. They admitted they didn't do anything that should have impacted the calibration and were unsure why I'd be getting the message.

Has anyone else experienced this message? If so, what had happened?

I picked up my S90D on Tuesday and the exact same thing happened to me. The SC connected to my car and said the camera board didn't sync with the MCU or somesuch and to go ahead and drive it home. I was kinda pissed as I live 20 miles from the SC but figured that if I got home and still had the issue I'd 'encourage' them to bring me a loaner and drive the car back to the SC themselves. Got home and powered off the car but still had the error. Went back out 2 hours later and the error was gone. Haven't seen it since. So my guess is it has something to do with the 2.34.115 update they'd applied while they had the car. Sounds like it just takes some time for the update to propagate to all the peripheral hardware.

So they did NOT apply the 115 update. When I got home it said the update was available. I applied it and the issue was gone when everything was complete.

Thanks for sharing. Who knows what happens behind the curtain.

Just for future reference - this error can happen if the radar is blocked by dead bugs etc. I don't think that was the case in this particular situation, but for anyone else seeing this message in the future, make sure the radar and camera are clear.

Specifically for this example, MikingCO, I'm disappointed in your service center. This error happened to my car once when the West Houston SvC had it in (door handle replacement) and they didn't let me take the car home until they'd fixed it. The SvC should not have sent you home with this message displaying. They should have installed the latest firmware on-site and made sure it was working with no errors before giving the car back to you.

Reactions: MMC-
Very similar situation for me. I've been receiving this message intermittently since last week. It first occurred when leaving the Decatur service center after getting my tires rotated. I immediately brought it back and they rebooted a few systems and everything seems to be ok. Then it occurred again Monday morning. I parked the car for the day and everything was fine that evening. The message didn't reappear again until yesterday. I called Tesla service and after looking at my logs speculated that the camera was out of calibration. The service rep said they would reflash the camera overnight but instead i got the 115 update. The problem hasn't appeared again (yet.)

Been driving just fine for a week and a half, and just got this message.. :(

How do I clean what?
20160917_105638.jpg

How do I clean what?

The radar is the recessed black square in the center of the lower grille (below your front license plate if you have one). Just wipe it off with a damp rag or paper towel.

The camera is at the top center of the windshield. Look for the triangular or pie-shaped cutout in the middle of the blacked out area, that's the opening for the camera's field of view. The circle to the side of the pie slice is the sensor for the automatic windshield wipers.

How do I clean what?
View attachment 194830
Too weird. I randomly got hit with it again Thursday morning. I had been driving for about 90 minutes with no issues. Stopped to SC, got out, got a coffee, came back and I had the error message. None of the sensors were dirty. Drove for another 2.5 hours. Parked for 6+ hours. Got back in and the issue was gone. ???????

I had the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" message pop up countless times. Took my vehicle to the Orlando service center who then recalibrate the camera. However, the message continued to pop up. I finally took my vehicle in back to service in Tampa. The camera was replaced. It's been over a month...no more messages!
i would recommend you push to have your camera replaced. I believe it's strictly a hardware issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
Happened to me upon install of 8.0 I have waited a couple of days, reboot the 2 computers, still going on. Haven't tried cleaning my radar, yet . .. (headed to my garage)

{12 minutes later} Nope. Still same error message.

Last edited:
I'm 215 miles from my SvC. It started with an OTA software update, I hope they can fix it with an OTA software update.

I bet wk057 or ingineer can fix It. If I understand what they have written, every electronic part has a version number on it, and the computer won't let it run unless the numbers line up. So I'd bet that for some of us the FW8.0 update failed to write the new version numbers on the AP camera and/or radar.

I've also had this occur when facing into the sun at a low angle. The bright sun can "blind" the camera and cause that message.
I had this happen this morning. I figured it was the sun angle because it happened when I was sitting in a parking lot and the sun just came up, directly in front of the car. I thought it would go away, but I drove my entire 50 route to work and its still there. Tried multiple MDC and IC reboots to no avail.

Haven't heard back from the SC yet.

I have this problem two weeks ago and last five days, failed to solve with camera/Ultrasound sensor and radar cleaning twice and even reset my car and deleted all personal record.
But it trigger me a trial on turning off the "emergency brake" while driving and turn it on again. It work the - all TACC and driver assistance features resume normal.
Maybe you can try.:)