Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Assistance Feature Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery about 7 weeks ago and have received this message 4 times. The first time it was gone after 8.0 was installed overnight. Had another instance where it was gone the next morning (again). Called it in after the 3rd (on a Sunday) and they said they were downloading the logs and the SC would call me the next day. Didn't get a call on Monday, but had another occurrence on Tuesday and called the SC who said they were still looking at the logs. Got a call the next day and said the forward camera appeared to be out of sync and they scheduled a service appointment at my house later in the week. Technician arrived right on time, spent 3 hours replacing and syncing the camera and, voila, as a previous poster said, no more problems.

I have this problem two weeks ago and last five days, failed to solve with camera/Ultrasound sensor and radar cleaning twice and even reset my car and deleted all personal record.
But it trigger me a trial on turning off the "emergency brake" while driving and turn it on again. It work the - all TACC and driver assistance features resume normal.
Maybe you can try.:)
Sorry I didn't follow up sooner. After a couple of hours, I went out the the car and the alert had gone away. I asked my SC rep if there was a way to force a reboot of the relevant systems. He told me "no, but if you allow the car to sleep and wake again it should go away." It appears he was correct.

Sorry I didn't follow up sooner. After a couple of hours, I went out the the car and the alert had gone away. I asked my SC rep if there was a way to force a reboot of the relevant systems. He told me "no, but if you allow the car to sleep and wake again it should go away." It appears he was correct.

I found the power-off/on reset the problem. Just have to leave it powered off for at least a couple of minutes.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I have had this way more than I would like to admit. It's gone in twice over the last year for "calibration". Not sure what that entails. But generally I don't do a SC trip unless it's really prevalent. Usually it goes away after I park and walk away and come back to the car at a later time. Usually rebooting doesn't help, or powering off the car doesn't help.

Last time I took it in, got the system calibrated. And then the 3rd trip after I got it back, it came back on. Got out of the car and back in, went away. They are looking at logs again.

This also just happened to me before Thanksgiving. I was worried because I was going to take a road trip and not even basic cruise control would work. My local SvcC was able to squeeze me in and diagnosed a bad radar unit. A few days later I had a new radar installed and everything was working flawlessly. Actually, it was working better. After experiencing the performance of the replacement radar, I realized that the old one was not working well. Hard stops (2.44.130), not detecting objects as accurately.

I got a call from my SC, they were investigating the logs of the failures and ordered a new camera and it's going in tomorrow to get that camera replaced. I haven't gotten this error for a week or so now, but maybe that will help things.

I got my first "unavailable" message with the first heavy snowfall. I don't use my driver assistant features much but the regenerative braking is tied to them and it was also unavailable. This feature is critical to me as it means getting home or not. I travel over two mountain ranges each way commuting every week and need to regain the lost range from going up over the passes. The Denver SC said to wash the car. That works! There is no way I'm washing my car twice a day when it gets to below zero here and that happens for several months of the year. I did some test washing to see which sensors might be the weak link and found that the doors (sensors) needing to be washed thoroughly as well as the front and back. No single point to make it easy. Does anybody know if Tesla plans to address this issue?

I got my first "unavailable" message with the first heavy snowfall. I don't use my driver assistant features much but the regenerative braking is tied to them and it was also unavailable. This feature is critical to me as it means getting home or not. I travel over two mountain ranges each way commuting every week and need to regain the lost range from going up over the passes. The Denver SC said to wash the car. That works! There is no way I'm washing my car twice a day when it gets to below zero here and that happens for several months of the year. I did some test washing to see which sensors might be the weak link and found that the doors (sensors) needing to be washed thoroughly as well as the front and back. No single point to make it easy. Does anybody know if Tesla plans to address this issue?

I had this problem 4 or 5 times in the first couple of months of owning the car before it was corrected by replacing the front camera and the brake regen was not affected. How did you determine the two are connected?

Service Centre has asked me to bring the car in. Hopefully the problem will be solved this time. The last time they recalibrated and it was OK for a day and then problem cropped up again. Maybe they will have to change the camera/radar. I am leaving town for a few days so will leave the car at SC tomorrow. Will update this thread when I get the car back next week and hopefully with everything back to normal.

I get this after I abort a summon that was started with the app but cancelled with the key fob. Almost every time. If I get in and out it pops up, if I leave it sit for a while it disappears until I do a app summon that is cancelled with the fob again.

I had this problem on the 24th, shortly after getting a brand new Autopilot camera to fix a failed camera heater: no Autosteer, no TACC. I scheduled a visit with the service center, but it fixed itself after sitting parked for about 45 minutes. Then I had three problem-free drives, and then this morning it happened again.

This time I checked the radar and camera for obstructions. There was some condensation on the camera, so I wiped that off. No change, so I tried a few reboots and other tricks, without any relief. Then I called the roadside assistance number, and chose the "feature support" option from the phone tree (I think this was "2" then "1"). A friendly Tesla lady asked me to park, then walked me through powering down the car. Of course I already knew how to do this: I'd tried it multiple times before calling. But she also instructed me to sit quietly for two minutes, not touching the brake nor opening the door. I checked email on my phone. After two minutes I touched the brake, and everything came back online.

So if you run into this problem, try this workaround:
  1. Park
  2. Controls > Power off
  3. After the screens go black, wait two full minutes; don't touch the brake or open any doors
  4. Use the brake pedal to turn the car back on
If you've lived a good clean life, you'll have AP again. Of course you may still want to visit the service center in case there's a more serious problem. And if you find out exactly what causes this, let us know.