TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Driver Assistance Features Unavailabe"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MDMGSO47, Sep 8, 2016.

1. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

When I left for work this morning, my S was operating normally. I drove about 5 miles and then stopped at a store for about 5 minutes, and when I got back into the car, I received a warning message "Driver Assistance features unavailable. If the problem persists, contact Tesla Service". Sure enough, neither cruise control nor Autopilot would work. I rebooted to no avail, although I did not turn off the power to the car. I wondered if Tesla had disabled the Driver Assistance features, as some on here have feared.

I drove another couple of miles with the warning message on, and then stopped at another store for about 5 minutes. When I got back into the car, the message was gone and everything functioned properly.

We have had no recent firmware updates.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

Was something intefering with the sensors?

3. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

I don't think so. When I first received the message, I was parked in a parking lot with a car in front of me, but I continued to receive the message after I left the parking lot and drove on a four lane divided highway. When I rebooted, there was nothing close to me.

BTW, British Columbia is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

4. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

I was wondering if an errant leaf had messed one of the sensors up. Thanks for the BC support :) Victoria is pretty sweet.

5. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

This is a known issue. If you park facing the sun in early morning or evening hours when the sun is lower on the horizon, the camera cannot adjust properly and at the time of putting the car in drive or reverse, the camera cannot calibrate and will not be available. I've tried 2-button reboot of 17-inch and IC, but neither seem to help. Best solution is what you discovered. Park in a place not facing the sun, get out and walk away letting the car enter sleep mode (or whatever it is). When you return, the system will re-initialize and everything should work.

I have actually starting thinking about how to park my vehicle because of this very reason.

6. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

I had the same. The on/off nature got worse and worse over the course of a week or two. Eventually replaced the camera.

7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Yep! I got this morning, and I have had the car less than 48 hours, a brand new S75. It also has AP 8.0. Naturally, it has to be a Sunday. My car wasn't facing the sun btw. Called Tech Support, did the two thumbwheel reboot - no luck. Tech guy had me do a power off and power on - no luck. Sending a flatbed out for it. Maybe I'm back to ICE if this is what can expect after only 48 f'ing hours of ownership!