Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Assistance Features Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had the same problem:
IMG_20160105_095911.jpg

I've been having this issue every couple weeks since v7. It shows up on the dash when I first get in to the car, seemingly at random - when I come out of a store, leaving from home, or charging at a supercharger. I've found that the quickest way to clear it is to leave the car (with the key) and go far enough away for it to turn everything off and lock the doors for a short time. When this happened Sunday I was at a supercharger and was about to get on the highway. I was sad that I wouldn't have AP for the next 100 miles so I walked away with the key for about 3-4 minutes into a local store, came back, and all was well with no issues on that drive. I'm not sure what the very minimum time is, but 3-4 minutes is the shortest I've tried successfully.

Coincidentally this happened again since I posted above. I tried walking away just far enough for the car to lock and mirrors to fold, waited less than 30 seconds, and came back. That did not fix it. I then went into the library for about 5 minutes and it was fine when I came back out. So it takes somewhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes.

I have a newer 70D that was delivered in early December. The problem has been happening to me almost every 3-5 days. I called Tesla service after it happened several times. They said the likely cause was dirty sensors. I explained that the car was spotless every time it happened. They did a remote reboot, but I wasn't sure what that would do since it was a recurring random issue as explained by many of you. Happened with 7.0 and same problem with 7.1.

Next time it happens I will try leaving the car for 5 minutes to see if it resets. Whenever it has happened, it has always worked on my next use of the vehicle.

I also had this issue - documented in another thread. The culprit ended up being a bad camera. It wouldn't "start up" right every time. It was mostly, but not always, due to direct sunlight on the camera on startup. (I live in AZ) Either way the SC changed the camera and I have not had a single issue since.

This is a bullshit error message. If there's a problem, tell me where the $!^# it is! Not just "oh something somewhere might be wrong in some manner". I'm seeing it on days when the car is perfectly clean. I live in Western NY, not exactly known for an abundance of sunshine, yet that's the only guess I can come up with since it never happens after I've been parked inside my garage at home. (Really, complaining about too much sun??). I park at work facing east, and yesterday after 5pm when I left I got this damn message - hardly the first time this has happened. Even though it hadn't been pointed into the sun for 5 hours. The nearest Service Center is hours away so I've been trying to just endure it until it's time for the annual service - but it's really annoying. And it keeps giving that error noise every minute or so while I'm driving.

You might have tried this already - but did you completely turn off your tesla? You can do this in the settings. Although do note that I don't think it does a complete shut down immediately, you might want to want a few minutes or longer before starting it up again. It helped me once.

Every freaking day when I leave work, if there has been any amount of sunshine during the day. Argh. 30 minutes of driving tonight didn't bring it back. I did call Service last week, they didn't have any idea, just pushed out a software update which didn't change anything. Yet it's okay every morning when leaving my garage. If it was really the Sun, the only thing I can see it affecting is the camera, and yet the radar is gone too - I tested this by approaching a stopped car in a big hurry and did not get the usual collision warning.

Every freaking day when I leave work, if there has been any amount of sunshine during the day. Argh. 30 minutes of driving tonight didn't bring it back. I did call Service last week, they didn't have any idea, just pushed out a software update which didn't change anything. Yet it's okay every morning when leaving my garage. If it was really the Sun, the only thing I can see it affecting is the camera, and yet the radar is gone too - I tested this by approaching a stopped car in a big hurry and did not get the usual collision warning.

I'm experiencing the same. The guy at the Service Center in Milford CT was blah-blaing me about sensors re-adjusting themselves, etc. It is clearly an issue when the car is out in the sun, or against something bright. It never happens when I have it parked in the garage, but very often happens when I leave the car outside and it "looks" at something bright.

Any idea how I get past that (clearly BSing me) service guy? How does one "escalate" something best?

Well, the past 10 days it has NOT done it every time, and when it does it has cleared up within 3 minutes of driving. I can't tell whether it's due to a software update, or some component needed to be "broken in", or there was some environmental change, or what. So I guess I don't know anything helpful, but at least I'm not quite so grumpy any more.

I drove my MS from Washington down to Souther California and had the same thing come up. I just wiped all the sensors and everything started working fine. It was odd since it didn't seem like any sensors were covered but there must have been something since power off and on didn't fix it a physical wipe of the sensors did.

I have experienced TACC unavailablity in heavy rain several times but the problem has never been sticky for me.
(Rain is however a sticky problem in Portland :))
I did not realize that this wiping the sensors was an option - not that one would find that useful in heavy rain.
I also would like the basic cruise control to still function when TACC is unavailable,, but also understand the difficulty of making the behavior of the human in the loop reliable enough.

I have experienced TACC unavailablity in heavy rain several times but the problem has never been sticky for me.
(Rain is however a sticky problem in Portland :))
I did not realize that this wiping the sensors was an option - not that one would find that useful in heavy rain.
I also would like the basic cruise control to still function when TACC is unavailable,, but also understand the difficulty of making the behavior of the human in the loop reliable enough.
Funny thing is, it was the Portland portion of the trip when I first experienced the issue and when we stopped at the Supercharger we decided to try to wipe the sensors.

We took delivery of 70D with AP in early March. In late March, we took a road trip that involved stopping at the Supercharger. After that, autosteer no longer functioned, but TACC did. Later that day, TACC also stopped. It did not come back despite multiple car reboots. Our service center attempted an over-the-air fix later in the week, which seemed to reduce the frequency of the DAFU error. But it still happened, sometimes for a few seconds at a time and other times for longer periods, but I would say the car was 90-95% without error. Because the error was still intermittently occurring, the service center agreed to address it. They replaced the camera and recalibrated the radar. Since then we have not experienced another occurrence of the DAFU error. The attention we got may have something to do with our car being within the happiness-guarantee period and us asking about the terms of returning it; or perhaps they really wanted to make our car the way it should be.

I had this problem. At first it was occasional then daily. The service center recalibrated the camera and reset the system. The tech told me he doubted this would work and the solution was to replace the camera, but Tesla made them try this solution first. When that did not work, they replaced the camera and I have not had the problem since. That was about 2 months ago.