Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Centric Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi @Roentgen,
I am pretty happy with both 10 and 15 degree versions, so the design of the brackets is set.
My current version works fine, but I am experimenting with different materials for extra tensile strength - probably will be carbon fiber reinforced nylon.
Also designing a new shroud to cover the mount behind the screen.
Will post pictures when I am a little closer to finish.
CJ

Hi @Roentgen,
I am pretty happy with both 10 and 15 degree versions, so the design of the brackets is set.
My current version works fine, but I am experimenting with different materials for extra tensile strength - probably will be carbon fiber reinforced nylon.
Also designing a new shroud to cover the mount behind the screen.
Will post pictures when I am a little closer to finish.
CJ

Thanks for taking the time to update!!

@smak, @tesababa,

If you loosen the screws and tilt the screen you can gain ~1.5 degree rotation.
I created some brackets which allow me to rotate the screen 10 or 15 degree.
For stiffness, it will have to be fixed at either rotation (not adjustable).
I am also creating a shroud to cover the mount at the back of the screen to accommodate the new rotation.

CJ

Hey CJ, is a new shroud needed because theres a gap created from the angle which does not look good?
Or does the stock shroud interfere with the ability to be at an angle hence why it needs to be removed/replaced?

Also, do you see room for lowering the screen (and tilting up...), or going more towards the passenger side? Not saying you should do this, but wondering if I ever want to tackle this option personally if it is possible....given you are familiar with the mount....

Hey CJ, is a new shroud needed because theres a gap created from the angle which does not look good?
Or does the stock shroud interfere with the ability to be at an angle hence why it needs to be removed/replaced?

Also, do you see room for lowering the screen (and tilting up...), or going more towards the passenger side? Not saying you should do this, but wondering if I ever want to tackle this option personally if it is possible....given you are familiar with the mount....

Hi @Eddyrelik,

Stock shroud does not need to be removed in my configuration. But there is a gap in the angle so the new shroud is to complete the custom look.

There is plenty of room to place that screen where ever you want it. But the longer or more off axis you place it, the longer and more distorted the bracket arms will have to be. Make sure you have a stiff enough material to avoid any vibration of the screen.

Found some free time to finish this project over the weekend. What do you guys think?
20180904_083355.jpg
20180904_083503.jpg
20180904_083544.jpg
20180904_083700.jpg

I really like the look of that. Is this something you will be producing? If not any chance you could give guidance for those of us less experienced with any type of modification? Also I assume you feel like the screen has plenty of support, no additional stress on any part or any potential squeaking? I don’t yet own the car yet but have rode/driven a friend numerous times and I think this could fix one of the little things that bugs me.

I really like the look of that. Is this something you will be producing? If not any chance you could give guidance for those of us less experienced with any type of modification? Also I assume you feel like the screen has plenty of support, no additional stress on any part or any potential squeaking? I don’t yet own the car yet but have rode/driven a friend numerous times and I think this could fix one of the little things that bugs me.

The mount has been perfect for me the last couple of weeks of testing - solid, no squeaking, no vibration. It is made of carbon fiber/nylon composite for the optimal strength and stiffness. The part I finished this weekend is the synthetic leather covered PETG shroud which took a while to get just right. The installation of the parts takes about 15-20 minutes, but producing the parts themselves is not an easy beginner DIY project.

I do not have any plans to produce these, but will consider adding it to the kid's projects later if there is enough interests.

CJ

The mount has been perfect for me the last couple of weeks of testing - solid, no squeaking, no vibration. It is made of carbon fiber/nylon composite for the optimal strength and stiffness. The part I finished this weekend is the synthetic leather covered PETG shroud which took a while to get just right. The installation of the parts takes about 15-20 minutes, but producing the parts themselves is not an easy beginner DIY project.

I do not have any plans to produce these, but will consider adding it to the kid's projects later if there is enough interests.

CJ
As you know from before I’m very interested still.

Reactions: chojn1

CJ

Keep me in mind please if you ever do, I would be extremely interested.

CJ

Interested!

I have to believe that Tesla knows that the screen can be rotated. It wouldn’t be so easy if not. I wonder if they will make this available as a modification? I have to believe that there will be a large percentage of owners wanting to do this. The MS screen has a very slight tilt.
That said, I’d love to tilt mine as you did yours. Did you shim the screws or put something otherwise in the space that opened? Do do the screws tighten in any position without a shim?
I don’t understand the shroud. Can you post some close ups of what you did, please?
I think you have a job as a Tesla engineer if you want it!

Reactions: JES2 and chojn1