Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Centric Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CJ, this might have been discussed in the earlier part of the thread, but do you ever see Tesla actually making the modification themselves to this screen (a tilt capability, even if it is locked?) It would seem to make sense, but I wonder if Tesla has any issue for not doing that. I can see where no tilt makes it easier for a company producing left and right driver cars. If the car is driverless, then I can see no tilt being better for rear view passengers.

One other question, by modifying the screen tilt, will Tesla have any issue with warranty on the screen? I would assume that it is not likely an issue, but has anyone discussed this alteration with any Tesla service teams?

Frankly, I would love to do the modification, but I have zero ability for any type of mechanical work. I have old eyes and trying to look at a screen from an angle with small fonts to begin with is a chore.

The flat screen is a design choice for Tesla. It is a beautifully simple symmetrical design and is best suited for autonomous driving.
I doubt very much if they will ever deviate from their design choice.

But I like to control my own car (no FSD for me).
And in my world, the driver is the center of the car.
Ergonomically it just make sense to tilt the screen. The views and the controls are so much better with it.
My front passengers do not have a problem with it. And I don't really care what the backseat passengers see on my screen.
I had it back to original configuration a few times during testing and really hated it.
Once you go tilt, you will never go back.

I have no idea about warranty issues.

It is a little scary if you are not used to taking things apart. But it is really a 10 minute job with a socket wrench and an allen wrench. Just have someone do it for you. Your teen age kids would not have a problem. Mine didn't. :)

Reactions: Roentgen
would a metal piece added to the screen mount like that change how you would impact the screen in a crash? (or vice versa)?

The crash testing videos seem to indicate that the center screen is really not an issue.
Like any other cars, the airbags deploy directly in front of the front passenger and driver.
I have never seen an impact over the front console at the position of the screen.

Conceivably if you are an un-belted passenger in the middle back seat, you could be affected flying forward toward the windshield.
But I doubt a 10 degree tilt in the front screen will make any difference in the outcome in that scenario.

Someone had raised a concern earlier about adding the nylon/carbon fiber piece and now I see you are concerned about the aluminum piece. I guess what you are basically concerned about is any alteration of Tesla original design and how it affects safety. The design criteria and material choice for the brackets should make them strong enough to withstand the initial impact and elastic enough to absorb any passenger impact. Either materials will not break in the catastrophic event. And the elasticity is actually unchanged from any that was already built in to the system by Tesla as no Tesla parts were modified..

The main concern is from someone in a model 3 crash reporting they got cut on the center screen. unfortunately there are no photos that I'm aware of of the center screen after the crash, so I'm not sure how much they impacted it. From the photo of the mount it appears it's meant to crumple, but I'm honestly not sure.

The flat screen is a design choice for Tesla. It is a beautifully simple symmetrical design and is best suited for autonomous driving.
I doubt very much if they will ever deviate from their design choice.

But I like to control my own car (no FSD for me).
And in my world, the driver is the center of the car.
Ergonomically it just make sense to tilt the screen. The views and the controls are so much better with it.
My front passengers do not have a problem with it. And I don't really care what the backseat passengers see on my screen.
I had it back to original configuration a few times during testing and really hated it.
Once you go tilt, you will never go back.

I have no idea about warranty issues.

It is a little scary if you are not used to taking things apart. But it is really a 10 minute job with a socket wrench and an allen wrench. Just have someone do it for you. Your teen age kids would not have a problem. Mine didn't. :)

Great response. I have some service guys that I think can help me, but I love the idea you came up with. Could you please put me on the list for one?

Reactions: chojn1
The crash testing videos seem to indicate that the center screen is really not an issue.
Like any other cars, the airbags deploy directly in front of the front passenger and driver.
I have never seen an impact over the front console at the position of the screen.

Conceivably if you are an un-belted passenger in the middle back seat, you could be affected flying forward toward the windshield.
But I doubt a 10 degree tilt in the front screen will make any difference in the outcome in that scenario.

Someone had raised a concern earlier about adding the nylon/carbon fiber piece and now I see you are concerned about the aluminum piece. I guess what you are basically concerned about is any alteration of Tesla original design and how it affects safety. The design criteria and material choice for the brackets should make them strong enough to withstand the initial impact and elastic enough to absorb any passenger impact. Either materials will not break in the catastrophic event. And the elasticity is actually unchanged from any that was already built in to the system by Tesla as no Tesla parts were modified..
Is this for sale? I need this in my Model 3, lol!

It is possible. See Elon Musk promises Model 3 safety changes after crash report

Quote from the article, the Model 3 driver stated: "My only complaint about this car is that during the crash my passenger's arm hit the screen and shattered it which prevented me from opening the glove box [with the] title and insurance. Needs a manual option. Also my passenger got a pretty big cut on her arm."

When I read that I could not imagine how a human arm could “break” a flat screen display; that would require a lot of force and I would think could result in a bone fracture. Regardless, apparently it is possible during a Model 3 crash for someone sitting in a front seat to have their arm hit the display even though they were presumably belted in and the post-crash photos show the airbags activated.

Tilting the display slightly towards the driver puts the right side of the display a few centimeters closer to the passenger’s left arm. Whether this would make a difference in a crash scenario depends on a lot of variables, but it is possible it would make a difference.

I’m not trying to throw cold water on the impressive work @chojn1 is doing! Just offering information.

Hi @Roentgen,
I am pretty happy with both 10 and 15 degree versions, so the design of the brackets is set.
My current version works fine, but I am experimenting with different materials for extra tensile strength - probably will be carbon fiber reinforced nylon.
Also designing a new shroud to cover the mount behind the screen.
Will post pictures when I am a little closer to finish.
CJ
Thanks for the great work CJ. Really love all your amazing ideas.

I won't speak for everyone, but I would have to say the group here are definitely the early adopters of the early adopters. (Bought a Tesla in the first place, then are willing to actively discuss in a forum environment ways to break open their new toy and tinker with it) I would bet that the largest majority of those who have indicated interest in these brackets would be open to using brackets made of carbon fiber/nylon material. I agree for a "sell on the open market" item, aluminum would be more appealing, since many people do not really understand how strong the new synthetic materials are, nor do they realize how many of the components in their everyday life are CF/N. I am puzzled about one thing. Since CF/N is similar in price to Aluminum, and sometimes harder to machine, since it tends to chew up bits, why would it be cheaper to make parts out of CF/N than out of aluminum?
As far as the shrouds go, I sent a suggestion to you in a private Conversation here in the forums, let me know if this is something that could help.
Well said

Hi @chojn1, how is the project coming along?

The aluminum CNC project is on hold behind some large oil company orders.
I am taking the time to do a few more tweaks.

In the meantime, I have a few carbon fiber/nylon parts I am sending out to be evaluated.
Will let you know how the testing turns out.

Great, I would actually prefer the carbon fibre parts. Either way, you are doing a fabulous job. Thanks