Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Centric Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed CJ's beta mounts today. Not that difficult, but I would have helped if I had the agility of my youth -- I had to lie on my side over the console to see behind and under the touchscreen and to work my tools (largely a rachet wrench and a special pry device I created to detach the plastic panel that give you access to the hardware).

Here are a few photos of the procedure and the results. Commentary is offered where helpful.

When the small plastic panel is removed under the touchscreen arm, this is what you'll see. Those two 10mm bolts at the top of the photo hold it in place and have to be removed to remove the screen and mount CJ's brackets.

IMG_0672.jpeg

Once those bolts are removed, you loosen the screen from the mounts by jiggling it around. I placed it face down with some cushioning on the console. CJ's mounts fit the brackets just under the dash opening.

Also shown are my VBox and EZpass, which I have mounted on the back of the screen.

IMG_0692.jpeg

The two white squares with the tapered ends near the bottom of this photo are mounted to the screen and hold it in place. They slide into CJ's mounts and are bolted into place.

IMG_0694.jpeg

CJ's mounts fit into the brackets pictured under the dash opening.

IMG_0695.jpeg

CJ's mounts are shown slipped into the brackets. They bolt into place with the original bolts I removed when I removed the screen from those brackets. The white squares pictured above slip into CJ's mounts and are bolted into place with bolts provided by CJ. He provides a threaded insert at the top of each mount so the bolts can be secured tightly.

IMG_0700.jpeg

Below are a few photos of the driver centric screen in place. Oriented this way the screen is easier to see and use of the touch controls is much more convenient.

IMG_0706.jpeg
IMG_0707.jpeg

This photo shows clearly the angle of the screen and how the reoriented screen exposes its support and why a modified shroud is needed. CJ's beta mounts did not include the shroud, but I clearly now need it.

IMG_0709.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hi Artsci,
Sorry about the shroud.
The kiddos are occupying the printers full time for their end of the year push, so I have not have a chance to work on my new user friendly version of the shroud.

We just finished commissioning the fourth printer, so now I will have one exclusively for my prototypes. Will send a copy when I get the new shroud finished. Just didn't want to keep you waiting on the the brackets anymore.

Are you happy with the angle of the screen now?
How is your interface with the screen compared to the flat screen?
How does the screen feel? Any slop?
Any things you like to see changed?

Thanks again for all the help.
CJ

Last edited:
Hi Artsci,
Sorry about the shroud.
The kiddos are occupying the printers full time for their end of the year push, so I have not have a chance to work on my new user friendly version of the shroud.

We just finished commissioning the fourth printer, so now I will have one exclusively for my prototypes. Will send a copy when I get the new shroud finished. Just didn't want to keep you waiting on the the brackets anymore.

Are you happy with the angle of the screen now?
How is your interface with the screen compared to the flat screen?
How does the screen feel? Any slop?
Any things you like to see changed?

Thanks again for all the help.
CJ

No problem with the shroud. I'm very grateful that you allowed me to be a beta tester and I think it's terrific that you kids are making all these Tesla things.

The angle of the screen is much, much better than the OEM. The interface is also vastly improved: easier to reach the touch controls and the outer right side is easier to see with out distraction from the road. There's no slop that's bothersome. The only change I would recommend concerns the horizontal orientation. It seems a fraction high on the left side, perhaps 1/8 to 1/4". There's no way to measure it but that's just my sense.

Frankly I think this will prove to be one of the best mods for the car. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla adopted this for all Model 3s, or at least provides it as an option.

No problem with the shroud. I'm very grateful that you allowed me to be a beta tester and I think it's terrific that you kids are making all these Tesla things.

The angle of the screen is much, much better than the OEM. The interface is also vastly improved: easier to reach the touch controls and the outer right side is easier to see with out distraction from the road. There's no slop that's bothersome. The only change I would recommend concerns the horizontal orientation. It seems a fraction high on the left side, perhaps 1/8 to 1/4". There's no way to measure it but that's just my sense.

Frankly I think this will prove to be one of the best mods for the car. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla adopted this for all Model 3s, or at least provides it as an option.

@artsci,

The screen rotation you perceived is actually an optical illusion of a free floating off angled screen.
If you put a level at the top edge of the screen, you will see that the left side is actually ~1.5 degree lower than the right.

I intentionally designed it that way to compensate for that illusion.
That rotation also allows me to CNC the bracket out of a single block of aluminum.

Is it troublesome enough for me to change the design?
I could easily alter it for the 3D printed carbon fiber version, but not so easy for the CNC aluminum version.

CJ

Last edited:
@artsci,

The screen rotation you perceived is actually an optical illusion of a free floating off angled screen.
If you put a level at the top edge of the screen, you will see that the left side is actually ~1.5 degree lower than the right.

I intentionally designed it that way to compensate for that illusion.
That rotation also allows me to CNC the bracket out of a single block of aluminum.

Is it troublesome enough for me to change the design?
I could easily alter it for the 3D printed carbon fiber version, but not so easy for the CNC aluminum version.

CJ

Not at all troublesome. Now that I've been driving with it for a few days those perceptions have disappeared. I really like it very much -- makes all the difference in the world. I visited my service center today and looked at several Model 3's on display in the showroom. The straight screen now looks so conventional:)

What a wonderful modification!

Please add me to the list of interested buyers...I can’t fully straighten my right arm, so I have to lean slightly forward every time I use the interface. The combination of the extension and the slight tilt seems perfect!