Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Centric Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky enough to get a sample of CJ's prototype mounts. Pics are just as @artsci had so comprehensively posted (thanks!). Here's what I originally told CJ, with a few more additions based on interval driving:

The mounts feel very stiff and solid, but surprisingly light (the wonders of carbon fiber!). The driver side mount was very tight, both on the bracket side and on the screen side. I was worried I'd have to do some sanding or filing to get the bolt holes to match up. But after a good amount of jiggling and shoving, I finally got it in. I'm not sure whether this reflects differences in the brackets or just manufacturing tolerances. In the end, tight is preferable to loose. No play whatsoever! I was going to put some loctite blue on there for added security, but the little bit I had lying around had dried up long ago...

Driver side, it feels wonderful! I'm only about 5'8", but have long arms. In the OEM position, I feel I have to stretch just a tad to reach the right side of the screen. With the mounts, it's in easy comfortable reach! The angle is so much more driver friendly, yet still not so much that the view from rest of the cabin is compromised (see CJ's original pics at the beginning of this thread). This angle seems perfectly balanced for driver orientation while maintaining passenger visual access.

Sitting in the passenger side, the right side of the screen is a bit more intrusive into the space in front. Having sat in the passenger seat a few short trips, it's no biggie. Just more noticeable over OEM.

Shroud solution is a necessity (see @artsci's pics). CJ also engineered in increased height and decreased distance to the driver relative to OEM, so the gap is very noticeable from the front of the car looking in, and from the passenger side. Can't see any of this from the driver's side (of course).

I bought myself a tempered glass screen protector last month because I found myself bringing objects dangerously close to the screen when stowing them in the passenger seat or footwell from the driver's seat. The minor intrusion into the driver/passenger space makes me very glad I did this. I hope never to make that mistake, but I can totally see it happening if I'm not being careful or am in a hurry, particularly now that the screen sticks a few inches more into the cabin.

So, to CJ's questions:
1) As I expounded above, I feel the angle is the perfect balance for driver while preserving passenger visual access.
2) Access is much easier. I can comfortable reach the opposite upper and lower corners of the screen with ease.
3) No slop whatsoever. Screen is very secure.
4) They say "perfect is the enemy of good." CJ has bypassed "good" and engineered this straight to perfection. There is nothing I can think of to improve on this. I can't believe you're not a mechanical engineer or something. Was that maybe your major/minor in college? Only thing now is the shroud.

tldr:
I LOVE THIS MOD. CJ IS A GENIUS.

I haven't had a chance to work on this in a while.
Thought I would update the progress so far:

The shroud exterior is finished.
I just have to optimize the design a little more to make it easier to install.
There is also an integrated LED which is activated by the middle compartment lid.

20190116_145927.jpg

20190116_145940.jpg

There is also an integrated LED which is activated by the middle compartment lid.

View attachment 369408

View attachment 369409

The pictures look great! As an FYI, the video appears to be blocked — the error message I got was “Video unavailable. This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”

• Helpful
Reactions: chojn1 and rvandrew

View attachment 369408

View attachment 369409

@chojn1,

Mounts look phenomenal as does the Shroud! Keep me posted!

Skione65

Reactions: chojn1
The pictures look great! As an FYI, the video appears to be blocked — the error message I got was “Video unavailable. This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”

There was a song playing on the radio while I was taking the video.
Amazing how they picked that up and determine the exact song.
I just deleted the audio track. Hopefully it works now.

Reactions: Jivas

View attachment 369408

View attachment 369409

I thought of same about having a light in that housing. I was evening thinking removing existing cover and put some leds there.

Reactions: chojn1

View attachment 369408

View attachment 369409

The cable that’s sticking out (I presume for the LED power), does that connect to a preexisting spare connection or do you need to wire something from one of the usb or 12V sources?

The cable that’s sticking out (I presume for the LED power), does that connect to a preexisting spare connection or do you need to wire something from one of the usb or 12V sources?

@Roentgen,

No splicing or re-wiring needed.
Just remove the right center console panel.
The existing plug connect the LED in the front center console compartment to power.
Unplug that LED since it will not be needed anymore.
Plug this LED in, replace the panel and you are done.

20190116_183029.jpg