Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver crashes Model S into restaurant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably going to get reemed for this, but a 71 year old lady driving a brand new Tesla Model S? Really? Probably doesn't' even know that it doesn't run on gas, blind as a bat, clearly can't even tell the difference between the "gas pedal" and the brake, and probably had no idea how to put the car in "park". Maybe it might have helped if she turned creep mode off...that is if she could even figure out how to use the console, let alone read and understand all of it.

yea, you'll probably get reamed, but it was funny. :).

As for the hinkyness of the Instagram, the top of the car seems to be obscured by the bushes and the sky is so overexposed that any of the roof that might be seen is blending into the sky.

Still some weirdness with the interior building damage. The two interior pictures have been taken at different times. The Instagram shot does look like it's been staged a bit. The gray sheet to the right of the fender looks like it has been propped up on on-end box.

Other points:

Car looks silver.
Car looks pretty good for having crashed through a wall.
The article calls it a "luxury electric sedan".

Well, the Instagram was clearly professionally photoshopped to enhance colors and possibly clean up the picture A LOT.

Just look at the difference between these two photos of the same scene:

View attachment 19231

- - - Updated - - -also, the one of the left looks white, and the one of the right looks silver.

As mentioned, a big part of the appeal of Instagram is the ability to apply color-enhancement filters and blur effects that mimic the use of a tilt-shift lens (Google it, I'm not going to start a photography tangent here, but there's so cool photography out there that utilizes actual tilt-shift lenses, and not just after-effect filters)...And that's clearly what is going on in the original photo. As for the car looking white/silver, you can see from the the additional VCStar.com article that the car is indeed white, and only looks silver because the photo you posted was clearly shot through a window, and was causing some glare that made the car look darker and more grey.

highly doubt that, ya this situation apparently is a simple misplacement of foot to pedal but its pretty easy to distinguish which one is which

i can assure you that a 71 year old woman would have a substantially consolidated time trying to understand this technologically advanced vehicle, and im still surprised that a 71 year old woman was even avowed the chance to drive this car lol

elderly people are always the ones on the road driving odd....... and asians :tongue: jk

I drove for 18 hours with my dad (81 yo) yesterday. He is fully functional and sharp, but I realized that he could never operate this vehicle as he does not have visual accomodation at the distance of the center screen. He had vision correction and now has a focal accomodation of 20" or so. In order to see the screen he has to lean over and put his face in front of the screen. I don't think he could be safe in this car without the information on the center console. Any new owner should be willing and able to learn new systems and routines that are necessary in operating an electric vehicle. A full test drive is in order for elderly considering this purchase.

Agreed on getting the warning, but no acceleration. I have big, wide feet, happens a decent amount in any car for me, but thought the Tesla warning - audible and visual - was an elegant notification to my big feet.... This woman is likely embarrassed, but I really respect people when they take responsibility for their actions. Sometimes it really is just our fault. Own it!

Elon has the data. ;)

I do notice that my foot hits the gas and brake more often in the S than other cars. I've had to move my seat back a bit more to keep that from happening. But I never get acceleration from it, just a warning from the Tesla. Sounds like she hit the wrong pedal.

Elon has the data. ;)

I do notice that my foot hits the gas and brake more often in the S than other cars. I've had to move my seat back a bit more to keep that from happening. But I never get acceleration from it, just a warning from the Tesla. Sounds like she hit the wrong pedal.

I have the same problem. Also I find that without a center console I'm getting hip discomfort because I cannot rest my knee while pressing on the accelerator.

garrrgh. This thread is just so wrong. Wrong! I've done my best to stay away (kind of like how I'm treating the thread about the best dress a woman should wear in a Model S. Really?? We're 12 now??)

For those who issue blanket statements about age / gender, well, you give away a lot about yourself. And I'll leave it at that.

I don't think there is a magic age. It varies from one individual to another.

Mcornwell's link also points out the two thirds of all accidents involve male drivers. Why not be concerned about them, instead of the two thirds of unintended acceleration accidents with female drivers?

GSP

garrrgh. This thread is just so wrong. Wrong! I've done my best to stay away (kind of like how I'm treating the thread about the best dress a woman should wear in a Model S. Really??

Now now, no need to start being shy. I've been waiting for your response on that thread. You know how I love your comments :)

why don't we combine the two threads and ask what type of dress an old lady should wear when she gets in and out of the Model S?? LOL!!!

why don't we combine the two threads and ask what type of dress an old lady should wear when she gets in and out of the Model S?? LOL!!!

Whatever damn dress she wants. I mean really. I have to admit that a group of men discussing what dress a woman should wear is amusing, considering it's the same group that also asks 'what color of car should I get?', 'which tires do I want?', 'should I get performance?', 'what's the better battery deal?', 'will I ever use a Supercharger?', and 'where are my Garanimals?'. :) Let's get the easy task of 'configuring your car' done before moving on as to what women should wear.

I don't know about the rest of the forum, but decades later, I'm still 13:tongue:

The only difference is that I don't say stupid stuff most of the time, but I'm still thinking it:eek:

I think everyone could say the same.

Last edited:
garrrgh. This thread is just so wrong. Wrong! I've done my best to stay away (kind of like how I'm treating the thread about the best dress a woman should wear in a Model S. Really?? We're 12 now??)

For those who issue blanket statements about age / gender, well, you give away a lot about yourself. And I'll leave it at that.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh... Now I'm happy :biggrin:

Sorry Bonnie, gender issues aside, you can't ignore the statistics of older people having a higher incident of these types of parking accidents. My parents, in their early 80's, don't drive as well as they used to. Luckily they are aware of this and avoid driving at night, and have not been in any accidents.

As for men discussing how women look, you'll need to become a member of a different species if you don't want to be exposed to that. It's part of our genetic programing.