Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver crashes Model S into restaurant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry Bonnie, gender issues aside, you can't ignore the statistics of older people having a higher incident of these types of parking accidents. My parents, in their early 80's, don't drive as well as they used to. Luckily they are aware of this and avoid driving at night, and have not been in any accidents.

As for men discussing how women look, you'll need to become a member of a different species if you don't want to be exposed to that. It's part of our genetic programing.

Right. But this thread is pretty nonspecific. Are we talking 50? 80? A 35-year old with COPD might be more dangerous than an 85 year old who plays softball twice a week (like my dad). Using age or gender to draw conclusions is inappropriate. I'm 59, looking at the big 60 shortly. Yep. There are some assumptions made here that my 'age group' perhaps shouldn't have a car as powerful as a Model S, perhaps because it's believed our reaction time might not be as good due to age. It's an arrogant assumption.

There is a reason many people quit driving at some point. But it's also easy to make the broad claim that a 40 year old driver is a safer driver than a newly-licensed 17 year old.

Regarding discussions about how women look ... lots of forums for that. This forum would also not be the place for discussions about child birth, pedicures, quilting bees, house-cleaning tips, etc. We want to keep this forum welcoming to everyone. Discussions about women and how they should look just seems like it belongs somewhere else.

Right. But this thread is pretty nonspecific. Are we talking 50? 80? A 35-year old with COPD might be more dangerous than an 85 year old who plays softball twice a week (like my dad). Using age or gender to draw conclusions is inappropriate. I'm 59, looking at the big 60 shortly. Yep. There are some assumptions made here that my 'age group' perhaps shouldn't have a car as powerful as a Model S, perhaps because it's believed our reaction time might not be as good due to age. It's an arrogant assumption.
It's not arrogant at all to realize that as we age eventually our abilities diminish. This is an irrefutable fact, proven by our ultimate failure at life.
There is a reason many people quit driving at some point. But it's also easy to make the broad claim that a 40 year old driver is a safer driver than a newly-licensed 17 year old.
Indeed, and that claim is backed up by statistics, as is the claim that older people are more likely to be in these unintended parking lot acceleration accidents.
Regarding discussions about how women look ... lots of forums for that. This forum would also not be the place for discussions about child birth, pedicures, quilting bees, house-cleaning tips, etc. We want to keep this forum welcoming to everyone. Discussions about women and how they should look just seems like it belongs somewhere else.
Fair enough, though if there were a thread discussing what suit, or speedo, a man should wear with his Model S it would not offend me in the least.

It's not arrogant at all to realize that as we age eventually our abilities diminish. This is an irrefutable fact, proven by our ultimate failure at life.
Indeed, and that claim is backed up by statistics, as is the claim that older people are more likely to be in these unintended parking lot acceleration accidents.

That wasn't my point. I also said that everyone reaches the age where they need to stop driving. It was the sweeping generalizations that I was commenting upon, saying that those generalizations were arrogant. Some of the ages quoted as 'too old for a Model S' were laughable. (For the record, I have had to help more than one person out of my Roadster ... and every one of them was younger than I was, some by quite a bit.)

I'm talking from personal POV, where both my grandparents were blind as a bat at 70, and the fenders on their cars were soooo scraped and dinged up from hitting things...god knows how many cars they actually scraped every time they parked...and I'm 100% sure they never knew they even hit other cars when parking either.

Tesla should begin offering those long metal car whisker things as part of their 'Technology Package' lol.

not arrogant at all, its true.

not arrogant at all, its true.

Hahaha. Thanks for the good laugh this morning. (I'm assuming it's a joke, because I'm sure you're not saying that Model S sales should be restricted to certain age groups.)

Note the clarification I had added, since some seemed to miss the point:

That wasn't my point. I also said that everyone reaches the age where they need to stop driving. It was the sweeping generalizations that I was commenting upon, saying that those generalizations were arrogant. Some of the ages quoted as 'too old for a Model S' were laughable. (For the record, I have had to help more than one person out of my Roadster ... and every one of them was younger than I was, some by quite a bit.)

I think the problem is not so much age, as amount of time since last driving test / last serious practice.

There are some serious problems with people who took their driving tests 65 years ago or more, but who continue to get their licenses renewed without question. The driving tests didn't even require the same level of skill 65 years ago. There should probably be a periodic retest required, every 10 or 20 years.

1. Public buildings need protective posts to keep cars off sidewalk & out of the buildings. Why is this not an insurance requirement?

2. Case in point for TM removing that Nanny Gong whenever we apply both pedals at the same time. With an 'automatic' car one should ALWAYS have both feet on respective pedals when negotiating in close quarters. Especially negotiating in close proximity to pedestrian traffic.
--

On point 1, the probability of something like this happening compared to the cost of installing protective posts around all public buildings is likely not worth it. It would be like someone in the Sahara buying flood insurance - - I guess it's entirely possible but not worth the expense.

Three times in the last three days I have had an "older gentleman" pull up to a red light, not really look, then pull out right in front of me as I pass by. Slam brakes, swerve lanes, HONK!!! Definitely past their driving expiry date.

Mind you, this is a growing problem with Ottawa drivers of all ages, but younger ones look first and THEN cut you off.

oh don't worry, I'm already royally screwed with the gene's I inherited from all 4 grandparents...let's see, uh they all had diabetes, one had 4 or 5 heart attacks, two strokes, lets see, what else - schizophrenia, breast cancer twice, hypertension/high blood pressure, a plethora of other stuff I can't pronounce or even attempt to spell, and one was putting bowls of cereal in the attic to "feed the little ghost boy". yea...I have a really bright future ahead of me. (just kill me now)

You have a bright future of higher insurance premiums now that the Internets know your medical history!

Three times in the last three days I have had an "older gentleman" pull up to a red light, not really look, then pull out right in front of me as I pass by. Slam brakes, swerve lanes, HONK!!! Definitely past their driving expiry date.

Last three days, hmmmm......."Snowbird" season ended here on Easter Monday and there was an exodus of biblical proportion with cars headed back north last week. :wink: