Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door contours not matching up to rear door. SC tech said in spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I took my new 2022 MYP 12/2020 build date in to Burbank, California SC to see if they could adjust the driver door or passenger door so the contours met up better between the doors. The driver door is slightly outset from passenger in some areas and in other areas of contours greatly outset. My passenger side of car is fine. The technician noted in their report the driver door was fine but passenger door was out of spec and made tweaks which did not help counters matching and in my opinion just created other visual imperfections in rear door meeting up with rear panel. Uggg. So I'm debating whether I try this again possible at different SC near me or same one. I'm also wondering if my doors were just pressed a bit oddly and can never match up. I went to a paring lot filled with new and prepared Teslas and did not notice other cars having the issue highlighted in my image.

Also considering living with it the way it is and selling car after 2-5 years and being a lot better and inspecting the next Tesla I buy, if I buy another when the time comes. I was very rushed and pressed for time (not due to Tesla) during the inspection of this car definitely not the situation one should be in when inspecting a Tesla or any car but it was unavoidable.

IMG_5650.jpeg
DR_SIDE_PASSDOOR_REARPANEL_OFFSET.jpg

The door sheet metal stamping is inconsistent. Some match, some don’t.
Also happens with hoods. The left leading edge of Model 3 hoods all had a droop, during 2020 to mid 21.
Some Model Y hoods have a stamping problem also where the contour doesn’t match the fenders and front facia.

My right rear passenger door. I’m not happy about it when I’m spending $60k for this. It’s not acceptable. Of course I noticed it about a month after delivery. I have an appointment scheduled to address it. To rub salt in the wound, I have a neighbor who has the exact same car as me with the same color, interior, and wheels and I don’t notice one gap or imperfection on their car doors.

Attachments

• C235C51B-75CB-4A51-87F5-14A1FE759550.jpeg
    C235C51B-75CB-4A51-87F5-14A1FE759550.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 96
My right rear passenger door. I’m not happy about it when I’m spending $60k for this. It’s not acceptable. Of course I noticed it about a month after delivery. I have an appointment scheduled to address it. To rub salt in the wound, I have a neighbor who has the exact same car as me with the same color, interior, and wheels and I don’t notice one gap or imperfection on their car doors.
When you go for the appointment show them the areas on the door which are not aligning. Have them note each area with tape as it will help the outsourced body shop or tesla. I hope they agree to fix.

Reactions: CloudCowboy
My panel gaps & misalignments have been fixed. I was the original poster (OP) of this thread. I went to a second Tesla service center which agreed all but one of the misalignments / gaps were not in spec. Tesla sent the car to an approved body shop for the work. The body shop fixed all issues, even the issue Tesla said was in spec likely due to needing adjustment to fix an approved concern. Although I thought my driver side door sheet metal was not pressed correctly, the body shop got it to match up with passenger door curvatures. I think Tesla agreed to send my car to body shop since I also had trunk gap issues. They mentioned they don’t have the equipment to handle trunk issues.

Some before and after photos: