Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door handle presenting and retracting three times every mode transition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each time I transition from park to drive/reverse or activate the door handles from the outside and allow it to timeout to retract the handles, the driver door handle retracts and presents exactly three times. The handle does not appear to be damaged in any way and suffered no trauma. There were a couple of software updates that occurred around the time it started but subsequent software updates have not fixed the problem. Anyone else experience this or know what is going on? I did not find this issue on the forum.

2021 Model S

Solution
Update: The problem turned out to be a faulty sensor in the exterior door handle. It was replaced under warranty by Tesla service. The technician said when the sensor is not working properly, it can end up in a position calibration mode, resulting in the handle presentation and retraction three times.
I only use my phone to open the doors and drive the car. I do have present door handles enabled but the issue also occurs when I start reversing or driving forward from park, which is not a time when the handles should be presented.

More specifically, all handles are presented as I approach the car, I get in and put the car in drive or reverse, I start driving, all handles retract, then the driver's handle presents and retracts another 3 times while the other handles remain retracted, as they should.

The other time this happens is when I approach the car, all handles present to me, I do nothing or go out of range of the car, the handles time out and all retract, then the driver's handle presents and retracts another 3 times while the other handles remain retracted, as they should.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Update: The problem turned out to be a faulty sensor in the exterior door handle. It was replaced under warranty by Tesla service. The technician said when the sensor is not working properly, it can end up in a position calibration mode, resulting in the handle presentation and retraction three times.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech
Upvote 0
Solution
great that you found it. I was going to suggest calling a priest to perform an exorcism. :)

Upvote 0