Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door high pitch squeak when opening and closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone encountered a high pitch squeak when opening and closing their driver side door like in the attached clip? Would appreciate any advice on what to lubricate in order to eliminate this annoyance. It seems like a minor annoyance that I should be able to fix myself without having to bother the Tesla service.

My Model 3 is about 18 months old.

Pretty sure that's the door "check strap."

I had one replaced under warranty, though I had to argue that it wasn't "within spec."

They also managed to break it in two during replacement, which then led to them breaking the window regulator when they tried to fix the original problem, so my "simple" repair required 2 days at the service center .

The great part is that my front passenger door is starting to do it again now, so if anyone has the part number and/or a DIY, I wouldn't mind giving it a chance myself before handing it back over to them.

• Informative
Reactions: driver7
Pretty sure that's the door "check strap."

I had one replaced under warranty, though I had to argue that it wasn't "within spec."

They also managed to break it in two during replacement, which then led to them breaking the window regulator when they tried to fix the original problem, so my "simple" repair required 2 days at the service center .

The great part is that my front passenger door is starting to do it again now, so if anyone has the part number and/or a DIY, I wouldn't mind giving it a chance myself before handing it back over to them.
OMFG, I am glad they didn't kill anyone while fixing squeaky door.

BTW mine started make some noise too, will make an appointment soon. Could be related to cold weather somehow.

OP here. As @EV-by-the-Sea said, this ended up being a "check strap" issue (that's the black middle "hinge" in between two main hinges of the door). I tried lubricating it first using a white lithium grease, but it didn't do anything. So I scheduled a mobile service appointment. The tech said the fix was to replace the strap, which took ~20 minutes. It was covered under warranty so cost was $0.

Mine just started making noise last week.
thanks to this thread, I’m going to set up an appointment.

(so far, just driver’s door… will need to check all other doors).
Sadly, my prior car was 17 years old and never had this issue. (It had other issues, but this one makes my 3 sound very old).