Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Door Latch Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up our X to get the passenger door glass replaced (scratch at delivery from window regulator) and when we got home the driver door latch on opening is making its latching sound like its trying to either open/close or latch the door. Tried powering down both the screens and the car with no luck. We can get it to close/latch using the brake pedal but sometimes multiple attempts are necessary. Anybody experienced this? Is there a door rest procedure kinda like the windows? Got a call into Tesla but no call back yet. Could be related to this latest, one button door closing update.

Just picked up our X to get the passenger door glass replaced (scratch at delivery from window regulator) and when we got home the driver door latch on opening is making its latching sound like its trying to either open/close or latch the door. Tried powering down both the screens and the car with no luck. We can get it to close/latch using the brake pedal but sometimes multiple attempts are necessary. Anybody experienced this? Is there a door rest procedure kinda like the windows? Got a call into Tesla but no call back yet. Could be related to this latest, one button door closing update.
Umm..you can get the passenger door close by the brake pedal..I think that's supposed to work only on the driver door.

The same stuff with the driver's door happened to me within days of receiving my MX, XerXes. It has now been over a month since XerXes was delivered, and it has been with me only a few days. The rest of the time it has been in service, with them trying to fix the driver's door. They have sent it back to me more than once with the door still malfunctioning, and with big alignment problems. You can see some of my other posts about this. I am not exaggerating, I have only been in physical possession of XerXes for a few days.

I have not made a big deal of this on the forums mainly because the loaner vehicle they gave me is a fully loaded P90DL Model S, which we all know, is the fastest production car on the planet. I don't hugely mind the annoyance of being without XerXes when I get to scoot around in this speedster. However, I am starting to fray a little, since we bought XerXes mainly for the convenience of getting my 4 year old daughter, and now newborn daughter, in and out of the vehicle through the FWDs. Every time I'm in a parking lot next to another car, and I have to squeeze my newborn's car seat through the tiny portal of the backdoor, I get a little more ticked off. Accelerating quickly is neat, but the neatness is wearing off; I want the utility of the MX I paid for.

Reactions: Ormond and Neohippy
Bigcountry, try the suggestions here:
First problem with my Model X doors | Tesla Motors

They did not work for me... but maybe the "workarounds" can help in your case.
As for myself, the following is also posted on Tesla forums:

>>>
Well I guess when it rains, it pours...
On top of the A/C quitting (well more like slowly dying over the past two weeks), I also have experienced door problems!

Today, on the way back from a short drive around town, the driver side front door will not close automatically and CANNOT close completely. The displays say that the driver side door is open no matter what I do. Again, pressing the brake pedal will not close it when open, neither does the door functions from the touchscreen. I can drive if I manually pull the door close, but it alarms constantly and the door is not completely closed because I hear wind and road noise coming in. I can hear occasional "actuator" sounds, like it trying to latch on, but it is not successful. When I manually push it open, the door will "push" back so it is not completely non-functional, but it appears the latch is no longer working. By the way, I have tried shutting down power and re-starting, rebooting the touchscreen, rebooting the console/dash, opening the door manually and slowing closing it again repeatedly in hopes of re-calibrating, also the screwdriver, knee, left hand, right hand trick!!!, nothing works. Additionally, since the door does not close, automatic open and manually pushing on the door handle also does not open the door! I have to climb in from the passenger side, reach over, and manually push open the drivers side door just to get into the car. Worse of all, the car will NOT lock since it thinks the door is open (which it is) so I doubt the alarm is on and basically anyone can push on the other door handles to open it... so I just emptied out anything that is valuable just in case.

Not sure what I'll do tomorrow since it's now my daily driver. We'll see what the SC says, I am hoping they have a loaner or at least get me in and get a rental, or... my next door neighbor offered to lend me his BMW X6 for the day :-( seriously! I was futzing around with door late in the afternoon and he came over to see what I was doing. I (embarrassingly) explained the situation, and he also helped with the knee, left hand, right hand maneuver to no avail...
>>>

Bigcountry, try the suggestions here:
First problem with my Model X doors | Tesla Motors

They did not work for me... but maybe the "workarounds" can help in your case.
As for myself, the following is also posted on Tesla forums:

>>>
Well I guess when it rains, it pours...
On top of the A/C quitting (well more like slowly dying over the past two weeks), I also have experienced door problems!

Today, on the way back from a short drive around town, the driver side front door will not close automatically and CANNOT close completely. The displays say that the driver side door is open no matter what I do. Again, pressing the brake pedal will not close it when open, neither does the door functions from the touchscreen. I can drive if I manually pull the door close, but it alarms constantly and the door is not completely closed because I hear wind and road noise coming in. I can hear occasional "actuator" sounds, like it trying to latch on, but it is not successful. When I manually push it open, the door will "push" back so it is not completely non-functional, but it appears the latch is no longer working. By the way, I have tried shutting down power and re-starting, rebooting the touchscreen, rebooting the console/dash, opening the door manually and slowing closing it again repeatedly in hopes of re-calibrating, also the screwdriver, knee, left hand, right hand trick!!!, nothing works. Additionally, since the door does not close, automatic open and manually pushing on the door handle also does not open the door! I have to climb in from the passenger side, reach over, and manually push open the drivers side door just to get into the car. Worse of all, the car will NOT lock since it thinks the door is open (which it is) so I doubt the alarm is on and basically anyone can push on the other door handles to open it... so I just emptied out anything that is valuable just in case.
>>>

You're describing my problem. Just wait for the awful grinding noises from the failure of the motorized door mechanism. This seems to be something Tesla is not acknowledging publicly, but is a common problem. Like I posted, my MX was delivered a little over a month ago, and it has been at the SC for weeks while they try to fix the door.

Please try to lower the window and pull the handle on the inside. That seems to help close the door. Avoid it slamming while the door lock mechanism is not working. We just started to have the problem on the passenger side and opening (and closing) the door with the inside handle (not easy or convenient I know) seems to be working.... for now. YMMV

Please try to lower the window and pull the handle on the inside. That seems to help close the door. Avoid it slamming while the door lock mechanism is not working. We just started to have the problem on the passenger side and opening (and closing) the door with the inside handle (not easy or convenient I know) seems to be working.... for now. YMMV

gjunky,
Tried your suggestion, and variations of it, after resetting screens, powering off, etc... no dice.

Ironically, I have the exact same config as you, with the exception of figured ash trim! I think I'll add a sig to my messages, but include an issues history to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I emailed and left a phone message with the SC this morning, it's now noon and there's been no call back... I still think it's an amazing car, just hoping the service is equally as amazing, tbd.

Proactively called and got in touch with the SC, next available appointment, next Wed. will also address the A/C issue along with some door alignment issues leftover from delivery at this time.
In the mean time, the vehicle is driveable (in my case), the door open warning is annoying but goes away after 10-15 minutes.

Yeah, my front passenger door lock mechanism went through this too. Was living with the latch cycling until it no longer closed properly. Had to get the latch replaced. I think twice, but my X has been in the shop 5 times, so it's hard to keep track. It was working fine for a few weeks, but just recently a latch problem occurred once again.

You know, my sister's Kia has rock solid doors. Honestly, screwing up normal front doors this badly has to earn Tesla a special merit badge or something.

Same problem here; driver's door mechanically opens and closes OK but the car thinks it's open. Result: constant alarms if you try to drive it, car won't lock, and instrument panel stays on.

Towed to the SC today for a fix along with several other problems.

P.S. Vperl would be pleased - I got a rental Kia as a loaner!

DOOR LATCH UPDATE: After calling tech service and filing the report. They said try a screw driver to reset the latch, which did stop the latch but now the door is open and can't be closed cuz the latch is locked. Pulling the handle starts the process all over again. From inside, stepping on the brake while pulling on the door was the only way to get it to close.
While at Home Depot I used the Fob to open the problem door (1st time I tried that) and presto, it worked and has been working since!
It really is a computer with 4 wheels. We'll see how long it lasts before freaking out again. Surprised I got no calls from the SC cuz the tech guy said he was forwarding to them. Me thinks they're being hammered with misc problems.

Now for an update on my end for my own door latch issue(s)...
Turns out that not only was my latch defective, but so were the door motors... SC is not sure why both failed at the same time, or if one failed and caused the other to fail. Regardless, "new" latch and door motor were installed. I did confirm they are the same parts, not a new design. No issues again at least for the past day or so since I picked my X back up from the shop.

I already posted my feedback about the SC staff on the HVAC thread, but I have to say it again with same additions!
The SC was also very professional at handling the issues I had and even looked at some concerns that were just that. There was the unavoidable wait to get into the shop (my local SC admits they are just overwhelmed, not necessarily due to unusual issues with the X, but just in the shear volume of units that go through due to the large service area), but at least I had an electric loaner. The staff were all very friendly, open, and engaging, though I did notice some apprehension at first... that is likely for a whole other reason that's not relevant to this thread. There are still a couple outstanding issues that are minor that I need to go back to the SC to address, but with this recent excellent experience, I myself no longer feel apprehensive about it.

Reactions: ModelX
Just had the latch problem occur on mine as well...

Driver side door wouldn't latch properly - constant cycling noise coming from latch. Cycling can be stopped by manually moving the striker latch with a screwdriver to fool the car into thinking the door is closed. Car can be driven by placing an arm out the window and holding the door closed manually. If the door is forced closed during the constant cycling, the door cannot be opened from the outside, you need to climb in to the front from the passenger side or from the rear seats to open manually with the inside handle.

I flipped the latch to "closed" with plans to tow to the service center the next morning, but once the car sat overnight, the latch was working again in the morning. Not sure if going to "low power" overnight in the closed position solved it, but it hasn't come back yet.

Tesla Service won't book the car in for 6 weeks, so keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come back up again in the meantime.

Only other factor was that I had the door open for about 5 minutes and I had just washed the car. Given the poor fit of most of the door seals, I was also speculating that slight water intrusion might have caused a temporary short in the latch mechanism.

Just had the latch problem occur on mine as well...

Driver side door wouldn't latch properly - constant cycling noise coming from latch. Cycling can be stopped by manually moving the striker latch with a screwdriver to fool the car into thinking the door is closed. Car can be driven by placing an arm out the window and holding the door closed manually. If the door is forced closed during the constant cycling, the door cannot be opened from the outside, you need to climb in to the front from the passenger side or from the rear seats to open manually with the inside handle.

I flipped the latch to "closed" with plans to tow to the service center the next morning, but once the car sat overnight, the latch was working again in the morning. Not sure if going to "low power" overnight in the closed position solved it, but it hasn't come back yet.

Tesla Service won't book the car in for 6 weeks, so keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come back up again in the meantime.

Only other factor was that I had the door open for about 5 minutes and I had just washed the car. Given the poor fit of most of the door seals, I was also speculating that slight water intrusion might have caused a temporary short in the latch mechanism.

Just out of curiosity, do you have auto present enabled? Try to toggle it on or off and cycle the system.