TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver Door Problem

Discussion in 'Model X' started by toonman, Jul 28, 2018.

1. toonman

toonman Member

My driver's door is not self presenting and hardly opens today. Did a reset with same results. Took a better look at it and see a broken 'hinge'. Attached pictures. Anybody seen this? It is scratching the inside paint whenever I open and close the door. Will be bringing it to the SC first thing Monday. Unbelievable!!
    IMG_1070.jpg IMG_1071.jpg

• Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. dethman

dethman Member

ouchies. never opened my door to look that far. wonder if that was what was wrong with my passenger door grinding.

3. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

On the flip side at least it looks like your door jambs were painted... that's more than I've see on here. Hope it's an easy fix.

• Funny x 1
  4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

OP wat year/model (battery) do u have ?

5. toonman

toonman Member

2018 75D. Got my delivery early June.

6. ek993

ek993 Member

There is a post on one of the recent threads where Tesla had indicated to a customer that the PUP hinge for self presenting doors is different than non PUP hinges.

Can a non PUP owner check and confirm if their hinge looks different?

7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

My 2018 PUP hinge looks like OPs. I never seen opened that far do gave a try :oops:...that sucks on such a new build his popped off

8. toonman

toonman Member

Problem fixed. Needed a new door drive unit. SC says it is a rare problem due to a defective part.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. dethman

dethman Member

non-PUP door hinge. looks the same to me. not sure why it would be different, the only thing that differs is the self presenting. they are both motorized.

[​IMG]

10. dethman

dethman Member

I also needed a new door drive unit (broke on day 1 of ownership). never actually looked at the hinge, wonder if the problem was like yours.

i don't think tesla actually 'fixes' things. based on experience and reading these forums, it seems they just 'replace' things.

11. XHokie

XHokie Member

I had a similar problem with my passenger side front door. They had to replace the door drive unit on that one earlier this year when I took it for the 2-year service earlier this year and it works fine now. Obviously, that door is not supposed to self present, but I had many issues opening and closing the door either from the key fob or screen controls, especially as the weather got colder. I've also had the sensor in the driver's side door fail, which caused the self presenting function to stop working during my first year of ownership. That was also fixed by Tesla. My father had the exact same issue with his Model X driver's side door as well. I know I've also heard similar stories from several other Tesla owners, which if you search this forum a bit you can find similar threads, so not sure how "rare" it is.