Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door "Thumps" like lock/unlock actuator or maybe door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

In the past two days, I've started noticing loud banging THUMP sounds from the driver's side door. S90D, Mid-2017 build.

It has happened:
In my garage, at a stop
At a supercharger, while plugged in and I was in the car, about 1-3 minutes after I re-entered the car
While backing into my driveway (moving)

Also, I've noticed twice now that the driver door handle was not retracted when I came back to the car.

Both issues are intermittent, I've not yet found a consistent reproduce case. I mention them both because the sound *could* be the door handle retracting - like, the motor tried to retract it but the handle got stuck, and then eventually the spring overcame whatever was stuck, and the handle snaps back into the door, causing a loud banging noise right next to the driver. The sound definitely feels like something is trying to close or slam into place.

I've had trouble with the door panel - the SC was replacing my mirror, and didn't re-seat the panel correctly, so it started to separate from the door frame. They fixed that, but now there's more trouble with the door, which makes me more concerned that something still isn't seated right inside, or is bent, or whatever.

Anyone else get sudden, startling door "thump" sounds lately?
Ever seen a door handle that doesn't retract?

Thanks gang!

We had this problem on our S 100D.

After we started driving - we'd hear a loud thump from the front passenger door. The loud thump comes from the door handle being stuck in the open position - and then rapidly popping to the closed position (rather than the normal smooth motion).

If you see the handle stuck open - BE CAREFUL STICKING YOU HAND INTO THE HANDLE - because any motion to the handle could get it unstuck, and the tension on the handle is pretty great - which can hurt your fingers (not sure if it's enough to break anything).

It was a simple adjustment by the Service Center - didn't require replacing the handle - but probably can't be done with a mobile service van, since they have to do some disassembly of the door to make the adjustment.

So... If you have a handle that's sticking. If it's in the open position - push on it first and see if it will retract, before putting you fingers inside the handle.

• Informative
Reactions: GameMaker
This has been happening to my passenger side store. A few weeks ago it did it for a couple of days, and the the problem went away. Usually it happened after getting into the car, and it's so loud I thought I had hit something. I've been meaning to call the ranger but may just wait for the first service.