TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Driver fined for wearing Google glass. How does Tesla screen fit in the existing law

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Auzie, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

A driver in California got a ticket for speeding and for wearing google glass behind a wheel. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/30/this-woman-got-a-ticket-for-wearing-google-glass-behind-the-wheel/
    VC Section 27602 Television http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27602.htm specifies what sort of screens are prohibited in front of the driver whilst driving. I have not driven a Tesla car so I am not sure how the screen in Tesla cars fits in with this law. Perhaps Tesla owners would care to comment.

2. Zextraterrestrial

Tesla screen is fine and complies with that DMV code. No video period.

Tesla could add video and have it disabled when driving and it would be ok too.

3. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

Also, any device that has GPS capabilities is excluded....atleast in the region where this occurred. The ticket could probably be easily fought.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

actually for it to be included, it must be "installed in the vehicle". Google glass isn't "installed in the vehicle", so it wouldn't fall into that exclusion list.

5. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

Really? I thought using your phone in a holder or a portable unit like Tom Tom was ok. I don't see why Google Glass is any different.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The CA law says some type of display mounted in front of the drivers seat is okay if it is "installed in the vehicle" and is for purposes of navigating, vehicle info, camera views of your surroundings, etc. it comes down to the meaning of "installed". I think it is reasonable to interpret a phone mounting device as "installed" but clearly a Google Glass is not "installed in the vehicle". It's on the drivers head.

I would say that wearing Google Glass while driving is illegal in California. Which seems reasonable to me.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

even if it did fall under those provisions, because it displays video it would still clearly be banned in current law.