Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver headrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I have a 18' model 3 produced in June of 18. It has gen 2 seats however. My headrest has flaked off and I need a new headrest. Does anyone know if the headrests are the same between gen 1 and 2? I found some on eBay to buy to replace it.

I have a 18' model 3 produced in June of 18. It has gen 2 seats however. My headrest has flaked off and I need a new headrest. Does anyone know if the headrests are the same between gen 1 and 2? I found some on eBay to buy to replace it.
Do you mean that it fells apart in pieces? I would be curious to see a picture to understand what you happen.

Last edited:
I have a bubble problem. I purchased a replacement on eBay. Local shop said the could replace the bad panel with better material for $160.

38856013-997D-4697-80BB-37D3E7E824EC.jpeg

Tesla originally refused to repair the headrest under warranty last year when I first noticed the issue. I refuse to pay them $300+ for a headrest that has failed. Well, it's gotten worse and I think my time to wait is getting shorter and shorter. I just scheduled an appointment asking for it to be covered by warranty and they sent an invoice/estimate stating $301. Should I demand they pay for the repair and then what are the other two listed items as I didn't put those? I don't use hair products other than shampoo and it's only the one headrest doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_095424.jpg
    IMG_20200728_095424.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20200729-204647.png
    Screenshot_20200729-204647.png
    643.5 KB · Views: 89
Tesla originally refused to repair the headrest under warranty last year when I first noticed the issue. I refuse to pay them $300+ for a headrest that has failed. Well, it's gotten worse and I think my time to wait is getting shorter and shorter. I just scheduled an appointment asking for it to be covered by warranty and they sent an invoice/estimate stating $301. Should I demand they pay for the repair and then what are the other two listed items as I didn't put those? I don't use hair products other than shampoo and it's only the one headrest doing it.
Their system picks up tech bulletins for cars automatically. Stuff that isn't a recall, but nice to have done when it comes in. The port pins are replacing a part that used to come out in some instances.

Regarding the headrest - I bought one on eBay for $115. I'm going to take the other one to a local leather repair shop and have something different put on the front. They quoted me $180 "for something what would last". I'll probably call around before I commit.

Edit: No way would I pay Tesla $300 for the exact same thing. Although it was a bit of a pain to remove.