Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver LCD Display for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could be seriously tempted by this. I like simplicity but the M3 is just a bit too Spartan for me, and even more importantly a single screen, however large, can only display a very limited amount of information at any one time.

I won’t bother for my present M3 because I’ll be getting rid of it in 2 years, but it’s certainly something to bear in mind.

I could be seriously tempted by this. I like simplicity but the M3 is just a bit too Spartan for me, and even more importantly a single screen, however large, can only display a very limited amount of information at any one time.

I won’t bother for my present M3 because I’ll be getting rid of it in 2 years, but it’s certainly something to bear in mind.
Out of interest, what more information do you think you need that isn’t on the current display?

Reactions: Yachtsman
Out of interest, what more information do you think you need that isn’t on the current display?

That was sort of my point :)
Mind you, I wish they did that super-duper CANBUS app that tells you all sort of parameter for iOS as well.
There is something cool about knowing voltages, temperatures, flows, etc :)

You’ve answered my question! However, my wish is not necessarily to show information which isn’t already available, it’s the fact that you can show very little of it at any one time on a single screen. Stabbing at the screen with my left hand at 70mph isn’t ideal.

You’ve answered my question! However, my wish is not necessarily to show information which isn’t already available, it’s the fact that you can show very little of it at any one time on a single screen. Stabbing at the screen with my left hand at 70mph isn’t ideal.

There are a number of Heads Up Displays available. Almost tempted but the trigger remains unpulled.

Sorry to labour on the point, but the usual information you're likely to need on an ordinary drive is all there?

In my case, this is the thing, all the info is there, but I'd like it to be here, that is, in front of me.
It is not bad enough not to love the car, which I do love. It was bad enough in a previous Peugeot 807 I had, it was much much worse. In fact, I had sworn that I would never ever but another car with central displays for the main information.

Yesterday I saw the Mustang Mach-E and I'd love a similar screen in front of me (though I prefer landscape and no button inserted in it for the central one).

That said, I won't install one unless it is affordable and I can have references that one of them is good quality.

Sorry to labour on the point, but the usual information you're likely to need on an ordinary drive is all there? Speed, temperature, Speed Limit, Navigation, Mobile signal strength, driving profile, instant charge/discharge status.....
I'm genuinely curious as to what you need to change screens for whilst driving :)

The essential information I need to drive is there, but there maybe other things I want to look at. For instance, on a long drive I like to monitor the energy usage graph, but I can’t have the graph and the satnav map open at the same time. So if I want to swop between them I have to stab away at the screen at speed with my left hand - possible on a motorway but dangerous on a bendy road.

Its’s also about how you access information. On my A6 I have Audi Virtual Cockpit, and on the VC screen I can have a scalable satnav map; call anyone in my contacts; see which of my safety systems are active; check my odometer for this trip/since I last reset it/since the car was new; monitor my fuel usage; choose my radio station or listen to music on my phone . . . and several other things. And I can do all this without lifting my hands from the steering wheel.

Sure, I should be able to do at least some of this (such as calling contacts) using voice control on my M3, but as voice control is next to useless it isn’t a realistic option.

I do like the simplicity of the M3, but a decent binnacle screen, a HUD and just a few more physical buttons would be far more practical and wouldn’t destroy the simplicity.

The Mini was first launched in 1959. It's been produced on and off for the last 61 years. I can't ever remember anyone complaining that the centre-mounted speedo dial was either dangerous or inconvenient.

At the time the Mini was launched many cars on the road in Britain had a speedometer mounted in the centre of the dash, or close to it. Cars that preceded the Mini, like the Morris Minor, Austin A30, Ford Prefect, etc all had instruments in, or near, the centre of the dash, so when the Mini came out it just followed that pattern, as it was what people were used to.

Instrument binnacles that placed instruments in front of the driver didn't start to come in on everyday cars until the late 1950's, early 1960's, and was probably an idea shipped over from the USA. They'd switched to instruments in front of the driver in the 1950s, and 1960's British car design seemed to borrow lots of cues from American cars.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
At the time the Mini was launched many cars on the road in Britain had a speedometer mounted in the centre of the dash, or close to it. Cars that preceded the Mini, like the Morris Minor, Austin A30, Ford Prefect, etc all had instruments in, or near, the centre of the dash, so when the Mini came out it just followed that pattern, as it was what people were used to.

Instrument binnacles that placed instruments in front of the driver didn't start to come in on everyday cars until the late 1950's, early 1960's, and was probably an idea shipped over from the USA. They'd switched to instruments in front of the driver in the 1950s, and 1960's British car design seemed to borrow lots of cues from American cars.

It's still centrally mounted in today's world of HUDs, augmented reality and virtual cockpits. Still, I can't ever remembering hearing any motoring journals, YouTube "influencers" or Joe Public moaning about it or declaring it unsafe, unlike the M3