Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver LCD Display for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@webbah I've been looking at this today and wondered if you (or anyone else) knew the answers to the following:

1. Does the voice assistant work in English? No idea why it wouldn't but read some post that says 'hey google' only works in Mandarin.
2. For RHD cars, is the OBD connector on the same side, so under the steering wheel in the UK?

Decided not to go with the front camera, don't like the idea of screwing a mount into the bumper and with it being so exposed, I bet it would often be redundant due to 'schmutz'.

Price without camera is £450 so don't feel that's too bad.
I have no idea as I have a LHD here in Switzerland, but I've attached all the PDF's that Hansshow includes with the firmware updates, etc. This is the latest one from April 1st. They are still actively developing the unit so I hassle them for these updates every 2 weeks or so to keep mine up to date. Apparently they will be adding OTA updates soon as it's a bit ridiculous that you cannot find the update files on their website and when asking support you get download links from different providers depending on whom you speak with that day as the files are large (1GB or so).

Anyway, I only use Siri for the voice assistant as I use it exclusively with CarPlay. There is no OBD II connector, however they provide the cable adaptor to connect to the bus in the passenger footwell. Most people think the only way to connect (ScanmyTesla, etc) is behind the center console in the rear, but you can also connect in the passenger footwell directly to the onboard computer. See attached PDF (in broken English which is entertaining) for relevant information.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Installation manual of Tesla 3. Y multi function intelligent display (2).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 148
  • Instructions for setting up startup pictures and wallpapers.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Tesla Center Console Dashboard Screen Function Manual 使用说明书.pdf
    847.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Touch Screen Software Upgrade Method.pdf
    111 KB · Views: 57
  • Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
There is no OBD connector on the Model 3 ... at all.
If you need an OBD connection you need to buy a third-party kit to tap into the data bus round the back of the centre console somewhere (below the rear USB sockets).
The kit is comprised of a short lead with big white plug one end, a big white socket at the other end and a short lead from the middle terminating in an OBD socket that lets you plug whatever you need. You separate the sockets already there and daisy-chain the kit.
Pretty sure the HUD connects to CAN port.

Pretty sure the HUD connects to CAN port.

The OBD socket is a CAN port and is a requirement on ICE vehicles to be provided typically close to the steering wheel.
It is usually easy to find and you can directly plug in Bluetooth 'dongles' to get engine and vehicle stats on a tablet or phone.
Using a wired connection to a HUD often gets additional info like RPM, water temperatures, fuel level etc.

The Model 3 does not have such an easy to access socket anywhere you can see - you need to open up some trim panels to access the otherwise hidden bus cabling to tap into for use with a HUD. For a Model 3 you would expect to be provided with whatever 'pluggery' needed in the supplied installation kit to achieve that.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Hansshow touchscreen with apple carplay"

Has anyone in the UK installed the hansshow touchscreen ?
I have watched a few YouTube Videos about it and it seems a pretty great addition to the model 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find issue with central screen only is less seeing but doing I can't change music source via screen without 'wandering' in my lane so sticking with sudo commands. Central binacle won't help.

Nice discreet heads-up display would be nice for speed an nav instructions

I've tried installing the new 9 " Hanssow on my Intel based Model 3, but I had to abort the installation as I could not figure out which plug on the CPU box I needed to pull out. Has anyone actually installed this and can show a photo of the plug to be removed.

On our UK cars, the CPU is still in the passenger side, but the sockets are next to the centre console and not the wheel arch,