Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver LCD has Bubbles after Visit to Clarkston, MI Service Center.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My driver display LCD was FINE, until I left the car in the care of the Clarkston, Michigan service center for 2 nights. Repairs completed: emmc recall, passenger door handle fix, and a headlight bulb replacement.

I got in the car and immediately noticed 6 giant air bubbles in the LCD (pic attached). The service center manager refuses to repair it because he insists that none of the repairs completed have anything to do with the driver's LCD.

2 possibilities:
1. SOMETHING happened in the course of their repairs that affected the driver's LCD.
2. S**t happens, and it JUST SO HAPPENED TO HAPPEN TO ME, while the car was at the Service Center...

Which would you say is more likely?

Anyone have any similar experiences?

air bubbles.jpg

My driver display LCD was FINE, until I left the car in the care of the Clarkston, Michigan service center for 2 nights. Repairs completed: emmc recall, passenger door handle fix, and a headlight bulb replacement.

I got in the car and immediately noticed 6 giant air bubbles in the LCD (pic attached). The service center manager refuses to repair it because he insists that none of the repairs completed have anything to do with the driver's LCD.

2 possibilities:
1. SOMETHING happened in the course of their repairs that affected the driver's LCD.
2. S**t happens, and it JUST SO HAPPENED TO HAPPEN TO ME, while the car was at the Service Center...

View attachment 776247
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I dropped off my car at the service center, when I picked it up I had bubbles in the IC, I talked to the service manager and he refused any responsibility until I showed him a video of the interior and exterior of the car. It proved there were no bubbles. They replaced the IC as good will

I had the same issue, eMMC repair that took two days, and when I pick up the car luckily during open hours I immediately report the issue, but they took no responsibility. After some back and forth they are offering $300 off the $1500 technology upgrade but I feel that is still outrageous to pay $1200+tax to fix a problem they created. If I was seeking a technology upgrade I would pay for it but for my car do not see the value given you lose use of the radio. Has anyone had better success, I feel they should either replace the driver screen with a like older screen or offer the technology update at reduced cost, I would consider paying out $700 for the slightly better responsiveness and resolution, not sure I need Netflix and more games.

My 2013 battery failed and after the replacement the screen bubbling happened to me after they fixed the battery under warranty. I can’t justify $1500 to replace that screen and the mcu (apparently they do both at the same time). I have the screen from ReelDealEv but have been too nervous that opening the trim some clip will get broken so I’ve just tolerated it.

My soon to be job is to replace the ballast and headlight bulbs as they have been going out. Hoping a $140 part and replace will be successful compared to the $750 estimate from the service center. I figured if I could successfully replace my 2013 12v then I can try the headlights and maybe move to the display. 2013s with 200k miles on it.

Reactions: Eclipso
Here is my suspicion on why this is happening right after the service center fix. All the old mcu1 screen are defective and out of specs in terms of how it can handle the heating and cooling of a vehicle. Basically it is NOT automotive grade stuff. When the service center guys opened up the screen and release the pressure that holds the touch overlay to the screen, it forms bubbles. And there is not much they can do about the bubbles other than replace the screen ideally with the mcu2 which supposedly is automotive grade. Honestly someone needs to class action sue tesla on this. They were using something that was not automotive grade and they should be replacing everyone's screen with the new stuff for free.

Reactions: Ketchups
@No2DinosaurFuel, interesting theory. I wonder how my battery battery replacement needed any work down to the screen, but the pressure idea is one I didn't think about.

I'd gladly take all these problems if my supercharging speed was back to what it once was. Anything over 30% SoC and I am pretty much under 50kW and typically towards 30.
I was thinking about those guys that had the Emmc replaced but did not get the MCU2 upgrade. The battery replacement might also require some screen removal and firmware update to make it fit the new battery? Who knows? But I think anything related to removal and modifying the center console can lead to the bubbling.

Here is my suspicion on why this is happening right after the service center fix. All the old mcu1 screen are defective and out of specs in terms of how it can handle the heating and cooling of a vehicle. Basically it is NOT automotive grade stuff. When the service center guys opened up the screen and release the pressure that holds the touch overlay to the screen, it forms bubbles. And there is not much they can do about the bubbles other than replace the screen ideally with the mcu2 which supposedly is automotive grade. Honestly someone needs to class action sue tesla on this. They were using something that was not automotive grade and they should be replacing everyone's screen with the new stuff for free.
The service center techs dont open the open the screens, they simply do a swap. the outer sealant on the old MCU and IC are prone to heat failure. While the car is at the service center cabin protection is most likely not active. The car get extremely hot and the outside sealant fails

Reactions: sonofagunn

2 possibilities:

View attachment 776247
did you ever figure out a solution or follow through with the service center?

I just picked up my car from the same service center in Clarkston... I get in my car and there's a 2-3 inch cut in my steering wheel. They are saying the same thing and refusing to fix or take blame. It was 100% not there when I dropped it off. I am so meticulous about my car. As soon as I sat in it, I felt the cut on my palm and immediately went back in to talk to the staff. But yea, they're refusing to help. Currently escalated it with corporate. I just can't believe I'd have to settle for that. They fixed an 1/8 scratch on the trunk due to bad alignment and in the process, damaged my car worse than the trunk scratch. Absolutely insane.

did you ever figure out a solution or follow through with the service center?

I just picked up my car from the same service center in Clarkston... I get in my car and there's a 2-3 inch cut in my steering wheel. They are saying the same thing and refusing to fix or take blame. It was 100% not there when I dropped it off. I am so meticulous about my car. As soon as I sat in it, I felt the cut on my palm and immediately went back in to talk to the staff. But yea, they're refusing to help. Currently escalated it with corporate. I just can't believe I'd have to settle for that. They fixed an 1/8 scratch on the trunk due to bad alignment and in the process, damaged my car worse than the trunk scratch. Absolutely insane.
I have seen Techs at the service centers taking videos of the cars when they are dropped off. I do the same for the interior and exterior of my car. I let the service advisor see me do it. This is an example as to why.