Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Monitoring in 10.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm noticing issues with driver monitoring in v10.5. I ALWAYS hold the wheel and pay attention. Seriously, I never let go of the wheel. This morning was my first real drive on 10.5. I got constant pay attention alerts even while holding the wheel and putting torque on it and looking right at the road. It was bad enough that I started hitting record on the screen to capture proof when it happened. Finally, FSD forcefully dissengaged. I sent email to fsdbeta with my VIN for them to check clips to confirm and I tweeted Tesla & Elon. I'm also going to open a service ticket for them to check my interior camera and document proof that this is happening. I don't want to be kicked from the beta and now I've got my first strike :(.

Is anyone else having this issue?

On my first FSD beta 10.5 drive only, I had some “red hands takeover immediately” warning but I missed the text of the alert to know whether it was in-cabin camera detected inattentiveness, or just the old regular hands on the wheel alert. It was a small access road between the parking lot I’d exited and the “real” road. I’d started navigation & engaged FSD beta by that point already just fine in the past, but this time it slowed down and said I’d arrived, then freaked out and disengaged. For whatever reason, the grey AP auto steer and TACC available symbols disappeared, as well as the green/blue and grey path finding snake of dots. I tried stopping while still on that small access road without cars around, shifting to park, then back into drive, but even getting on the road with clear lane markings, the grey auto steer and TACC available symbols wouldn’t show, causing me to wonder if I’d just gotten my first strike.

It was a road with traffic behind me and nowhere to stop safely for a bit so I drove manually, skipping my freeway entrance because I wanted to try stopping and getting out of the car to re-enable AP.

I got to a safe u-turn area, flipped around and pulled onto the shoulder, but just as I came around the grey auto steer and TACC available symbols showed up again, as well as the glorious FSD beta green/blue & grey pathfinding snake of dots emanating from the car graphic. It had maybe been a mile of driving without them. So I didn’t bother shifting into park and just continued onto the freeway with no AP issue. I was able to use it and FSD beta after exiting the freeway 10 miles later. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That weird behavior only happened the first FSD beta drive after upgrading to 10.5. Did you get confirmed feedback somehow that you received a first strike? Or of AP jail?

Last edited:
Yes, when I arrived at the end of my drive this morning, I got this message that I recieved my first strike.

Attachments

• 20211124_071253.jpg
    20211124_071253.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 574
  • Informative
Reactions: TresLA
I wonder if doing a 2 roller reset (thumbs on the scroll wheels) after an FSD strike will reset the system and make it "forget" a strike. It worked for the Safety Scores previously... do not advocate to do this in general but for obvious mistakes from the system seems like someone should see what happens.
I did try this once when I hit 80mph and got into autopilot jail. I tried to do the 2 button reset to see if it would give me AP back, but I was still jailed even after the reset. So seems like it remembers

I did try this once when I hit 80mph and got into autopilot jail. I tried to do the 2 button reset to see if it would give me AP back, but I was still jailed even after the reset. So seems like it remembers
I suppose it’s ok if you’re still jailed for the drive as long as you don’t get more strikes and get kicked out of beta especially for illegitimate reasons such as hardware malfunction. But wonder if it remembers a strike. In the past if this happened with the safety score it would forget a hard brake or close follow and I guess an autopilot disengagement. Need more data points!

I had several more alerts on my drive home from work. I don't get the blue at the top of the screen and the text prompt, just the full pay attention alert that appears after you ignore the normal prompts. Service responded to my request and will take a look at my camera on Monday but I doubt that's what wrong. This totally seems like a software bug. They suggested the scroll wheel reset but it didn't help. They also claimed there was not much they could do with the beta software.

Reactions: edseloh
I was put into a 2 week Tesla Timeout today. It was my third disengagement when the first two came from previous days last week where i was driving the same direction, on the same road, at about the same time. I am wondering If the cabin camera saw the sun behind me or a glare and thought it was my eyes? Nothing else makes sense since I was staring directly forward and still got the pay attention warning. And why this issue at the same stretch of road at the same time of day?

My first drive on 10.5 and I got my first forced disengagement, and first pay attention alert in literally months. I have a “lazy” right eye. It seemed to be happier when I looked out of that eye, so eye tracking may only ne looking at the right eye. But, i could not keep that up for a whole drive. But, from above the cabin camera does not seem to be reliable even with normally sighted drivers.

It happens a lot more if you have a passenger on their phone and it thinks its you. Im guessing going to be more common as people take their friends out for a ride and those friends want to record it.

The system needs a lot of work. I've yet to get an alert while wearing polarized glasses but pretty immediately got when when not wearing.

I was put into a 2 week Tesla Timeout today. It was my third disengagement when the first two came from previous days last week where i was driving the same direction, on the same road, at about the same time. I am wondering If the cabin camera saw the sun behind me or a glare and thought it was my eyes? Nothing else makes sense since I was staring directly forward and still got the pay attention warning. And why this issue at the same stretch of road at the same time of day?
I also get the pay attention alert and ding if I’m looking at the screen or checking my phone. But how are you getting a forced disengagement? As soon as I hear the pay attention ding, I wiggle the steering and it’s all good

Got an Autopilot strike (tracked for FSD Beta) today driving down California highways (plain NoA not FSD Beta) today while adjusting Caraoke for the kids. Several times it gave the small red "Please pay attention" message earlier in the drive, so unclear if that accumulates before showing the big red "Take over immediately." Had to drive straight for an hour with just plain TACC, but it seems like even Tesla Vision can be set over 80mph when not using Autosteer.

Got an Autopilot strike (tracked for FSD Beta) today driving down California highways (plain NoA not FSD Beta) today while adjusting Caraoke for the kids. Several times it gave the small red "Please pay attention" message earlier in the drive, so unclear if that accumulates before showing the big red "Take over immediately." Had to drive straight for an hour with just plain TACC, but it seems like even Tesla Vision can be set over 80mph when not using Autosteer.
I got one "Take over immediately." yesterday - because FSD was confused, got disengaged but TACC didn’t. The usual mess. Have to check whether this is counted as a strike - if so, log a bug and hope someone reads.

Have to check whether this is counted as a strike
It'll show up directly under the FSD Beta toggle above the FSD driving profile slider. Looks like the strike count is driver profile independent.

Some more testing of Autopilot driver monitoring with NoA on these straight California highways, I was able to eat a whole Chinese takeout meal with utensils, so no hands and no warnings other than the usual gray hands periodic check in -- no "pay attention." So the monitoring is more of looking up vs down.

Reactions: edseloh