Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Monitoring in 10.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa whoa whoa. No, stop. It's a bug. This is beta software.

I'm as woke a white guy as you're going to find, but I write bugs in software every day, for a living. If I accidentally push a poorly-audited training set (to be clear: I don't do ML work) and the results show racially-determined behavior, that doesn't make me a racist. It means I made a mistake I should fix.

I meant that the algorithm will be accused of being racist, and the company will be accused of not taking the necessary steps to prevent it.

I don't believe Tesla is doing what needs to be done of insuring that the driver monitor system works equally across a diverse set of people.

You say accidently, but a lot of times its not accidental as much as it is bias in the industry itself. Where there just isn't as much training data from a diverse set of people versus white people.

With the Tesla DMS it's not just race, but physical size as well. Does my physical size give me an advantage over someone much smaller than I when it comes to the Tesla DMS?

I don't know because Tesla doesn't give me any way to audit the DMS.

There is no way of verifying it because Tesla doesn't allow us to. They need to provide Beta Testers the tools to do this so we can give the necessary input to prevent the algorithm from discriminating.

It's important to understand that the Interior camera wasn't designed with this use case in mind. It was something they added after so it's bound to have issues. These issues need to get vetted before it really starts to impact drivers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sandor
I just took a 3 hour trip at night. Did a ton of testing and found out:
  • Wearing sunglasses fixes the issue. As long as the car can’t see my eyes. So I wore sunglasses for most of my road trip at night. Funny how this safety feature made me do an unsafe thing so I could get autopilot to work on a long road trip.
  • If AP displays the pay attention to the road notification, cancel AP and re-engage. This resets the AP jail counter.
  • Came to the conclusion that whatever changes they made, my car is now racist. I’m typical Asian with small eyes. I think the driver monitoring is giving me these issues because it can’t see my eyes. Had my white friend drive for 15 minutes, no issues. I get the notifications within seconds. If I open my eyes abnormally wide, no notification either. Just dry strained eyes.
Will see if 10.6 resolves it.

Was able to test with 10.6 and a pair of blue light blocking glasses from Amazon.

For me, 10.6 seems to have some minor improvements to false driver monitoring alerts. I feel like maybe 30%-40% better. I got alerts within about 10-15 seconds of taking my glasses of on 10.5.1. It’s a few minutes on 10.6.

Now if I put on my blue light blocking glasses, it seems to solve the issue just like sunglasses. Still getting a lot more prompts to touch the steering wheel than I recall in 10.4. But without glasses, I don’t even get prompts to touch the steering wheel. Skips straight to the pay attention prompt randomly, which counts as a strike for AP jail.

I also noticed my issue also only occurs mostly on AP, rather than FSD. I have a new theory to test. My head and eyes being too still during freeway driving. I tend to move my head a bit checking traffic during city driving, but then to be pretty still staring at the road on the freeway. Maybe glasses helps prevent the system from thinking I’m too still?

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Ruffles
Let's try to find commonality in the situations where this has been a problem. In my case, both of my strikes occurred like this:
  1. Happened in the dark (early morning and at night)
  2. Happened in rainy weather
  3. I wear glasses
  4. I'm tall (6'2)
  5. Happened on freeway/highway/straight roads. Not in the city streets
  6. Happened with light traffic. I was traveling around 50 mph
  7. No one else in the car
  8. Phone in pocket
Are these conditions similar to anyone else?

Happened both bright clear day or at night for me. With or without other people in the car. Phone in hand or in pocket. Doesn’t seem to matter. The only thing that helps with mine so far is any form of glasses.

I do agree with #5. Only happens on freeway/highway/straight roads. Not in the city streets. Was going 60-80mph.

Have to wonder is 10.6.1 all about correcting driver monitoring or.....? Maybe it will also reset the Strikes counter.
I sure hope so. Luckily, the driver monitoring issues started to trend on Twitter thanks to people like Whole Mars Catalog with even Elon laughing at one of them so I think the message has been received. I hope it resets the strikes and goes back to monitoring like versions 10.2 - 10.5. I had no issues with them.

Just got 10.6.1. Drove about 10mi, mostly freeway to dinner. So far appears to be fixed for me. No pay attention prompts on the freeway. My 2 of 3 strikes also appear to be reset. Not seeing it under the autopilot menu anymore.
I downloaded 10.6.1 last night, but haven't had a chance to take a drive. I did jump in the car to check if my one strike is still there...yep, still there. Maybe there's a time factor included in the strike roll off? Maybe I need to take a first drive on the new version? Dunno.

Does anyone’s release notes no longer say how many FSD disconnects they will get? Mine used to say 3, now just doesn’t reference any number any longer with the red wheel icon in the release notes.
Release notes are version specific to new features being added to that release.

You can still see any strikes you have in the normal location.

Drove about 2 hours today on 10.6.1 with no alerts which is promising but it was under different circumstances.
1. During the day (overcast)
2. With a passenger.

It still shows my two strike but so far so good. The real test will be a drive to the office early in the morning as that is how both of the other strike happened.