TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Driver Profile Display Length Question

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Half Dollar Bill, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

When creating a new driver profile it appears you have a relatively lengthy name field. However, if you create a profile of over five letters, it appears the name is getting truncated on the top of the display console. I apologize if this question has been asked already as I did try to search the board, but am I missing something?

Granted, I realize that for practical reasons there has to be a display limit. It seems like there's space at the top of the display to show more than five letters though so I just wanted to check if I was doing something to cause the issue.

Thanks

2. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

My full name has 7 letters as does my husbands and it's showing the full name. Maybe give service a quick call.

3. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

Well, this actually turns out to be a bit interesting, to me, anyway.
    Turns out the size of the letters matters. I was confused by Alysashley79's response so I did contact owner services and they responded that the field was behaving as intended.
    I tried creating a few profiles and I got an 8 letter name like "Williams" to fit but not the name "Marianne". It appears the field is about 3/4' wide so anything after that is getting truncated. Skinny letters obviously help the cause much more. Owner services did reply that the field immediately to the right is for warnings, like battery warming up. They also indicated they'd add the issue to the UI department's feedback list for consideration in future updates.
    It's nice learning something unexpected about your car, it's even nicer that the experience folks are so responsive, and a tip of the hat if this ever gets prioritized and updated. How many times do you get that with an ICE vehicle?