Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have an issue with my driver profile selection. I have two driver profiles on the car, we both have iPhones, myself a 12 and the other driver a 13 and we are both logged in to the same Tesla account.

I was added to the car first, and the second driver after.

Any time I go and open the car and press the brake, the second drivers profile is selected, even if they're nowhere near the car.

I've noticed if I go to Keys -> Locks I can see both phones are marked as active even if the second drivers phone is in the house and nowhere near the car. Is this causing the issue?

Have I missed something somewhere that it is struggling to select my profile instead of the second drivers when in the car?

If the other phone is in the house but close enough for Bluetooth to connect, that’s likely the problem.
you can make yours “primary” somewhere in settings.

So that primary thing is for calls etc which my phone is already set to.

Surely Tesla can realise one phone is closer than the other to select the correct profile.

Is there a way for two separate Tesla accounts to access the same car?

Not sure I want to pay for all my wife’s miles or indeed for her to check on the app and find out where I am 24x7. Judge me if you like, we are just not joined at the hip.

Multiple accounts can be assigned to the same car from the master cars account. However, some finance plans do not give access to the main cars account.

BUT.

I think what you are asking is can the cars supercharging be billed to different accounts and, if I drive the car, will the app on another account see the cars location? The car and separation of accounts will not allow this. Supercharging billing will be to the payment method on the main car account. The app will also see the location of the car, irrespective of who is driving and what account they are using.

On the latter point, driver profile, driver keys and Tesla accounts are not related in any way other than you need a Tesla account to be setup as a driver and have a phone key. But anyone with a key card can use the car and driver profiles are independent of anything, although a key can optionally select a specific driver profile. But you never asked about driver profiles.

tl;dr - there are no secrets in the cars location (unless you turn off mobile access which you probably don't want to do) and billing is assigned to the one master account

Last edited:
Reactions: Katic1972 and init6
Any time I go and open the car and press the brake, the second drivers profile is selected, even if they're nowhere near the car.
I have exactly the same issue. And my wife is much shorter than me, so I end up getting squished against the steering wheel while the screen loads.

Very annoying. Agree that the car should be able to tell which phone is closer, even if they're both within Bluetooth range.

Maybe phone's Bluetooth ranges has just improved too much?

I have exactly the same issue. And my wife is much shorter than me, so I end up getting squished against the steering wheel while the screen loads.

Very annoying. Agree that the car should be able to tell which phone is closer, even if they're both within Bluetooth range.

Maybe phone's Bluetooth ranges has just improved too much?
Same issue here. Really annoying and should be easy to fix. Especially if one is sitting on the wireless charger and one is in the house. I'll have to test if it will still do it if I turn off BT on my other half's phone.

Same issue here. Really annoying and should be easy to fix. Especially if one is sitting on the wireless charger and one is in the house. I'll have to test if it will still do it if I turn off BT on my other half's phone.
I am not sure this will help but we do not have the problem even though both phones are connected it picks the correct one 99% of time. What I did was to assign my profile with my mobile key. You go to the locks and then in the keys assign your key with your profile so it specifically says the profile name next to the key.

I am not sure this will help but we do not have the problem even though both phones are connected it picks the correct one 99% of time. What I did was to assign my profile with my mobile key. You go to the locks and then in the keys assign your key with your profile so it specifically says the profile name next to the key.
This. My assumption was that whichever phone was the one that unlocked the car would then be seen as the phone/key of the driver; and set the profile accordingly. Obviously the phone that unlocks the car (i.e. the key) has to be in very close proximity when unlocking... Won't even work if it's in my back pocket!

This. My assumption was that whichever phone was the one that unlocked the car would then be seen as the phone/key of the driver; and set the profile accordingly. Obviously the phone that unlocks the car (i.e. the key) has to be in very close proximity when unlocking... Won't even work if it's in my back pocket!
Yes as you assign that to your profile it brings the correct profile. Regarding being very close - Don’t know about that as I keep my phone in my front pocket so works all the time and my wife keeps her phone in the bag - so sometimes it doesn’t work for her.

My car seems to have changed from setting the profile automatically from whichever key is used to unlock the car to leaving it on whoever drove it last since the last update. Probably need to check the settings to see if I need to change something (again).

Yup, I've done that! Still doesn't work.

My car selects my partner’s profile every single time, when she’s a passenger, and most of the time when I’m alone in the car and her phone is in the house. My phone was set up first, is set as priority in settings - makes no difference. I think it might be happening because she drives it more often, but secretly think the car is trolling me.