Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile not key specific???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The delivery guy said the driver profile is not key specific?
Why is that a big deal? I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'6"
How am I suppose to get in the seat after opening the door?
I've got the app on iOS and don't see anything there.

My Honda minivan has profile specific keys!! I hope I'm missing something here.

Because if both your and your wife get in the car with keys in your pocket, how does it know which one of you is driving?

Everything is "handsfree", so you don't even need to touch the key to unlock the doors or drive away.

Some people set up a "Exit" profile to select when exiting the car.

The delivery guy said the driver profile is not key specific?
Why is that a big deal? I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'6"
How am I suppose to get in the seat after opening the door?
I've got the app on iOS and don't see anything there.

My Honda minivan has profile specific keys!! I hope I'm missing something here.

Just have your wife be kind enough to press the button for your profile? That's what my wife does for me and there's only a 7" height difference between us.

Because if both your and your wife get in the car with keys in your pocket, how does it know which one of you is driving?
multiple easy ways to figure that out. First the easiest, if only one key in the car, use that one. (Solves 90+% of issues there with zero downside. ) If both keys, pop up the selection box like it pops up homelink when you get near your house.
Or better yet, there are different antennas on each side of the car for when you approach, make note of which key approached the driver's side.

If both keys, pop up the selection box.

That's the problem.. if the wife was the last one to drive the car, the husband can't fit in the seat to select from the touchscreen his profile.. unless he reaches in first to select it.. and in that case, he might as well just select his profile.

- - - Updated - - -

But the OP (and others) have a point. I'd suggest a "triple click" on the key fob invokes the profile set up for that fob. No popups, not exit profiles, no directional antennas. Or a "double click and hold" would work too.

Prior to actually entering the car, reach down and move the seat adjuster back......how hard is that.
I feel your pain, OP. Having come from BMW (for a long time) I am very used to driver specific keys. One challenge would be the "keyless entry" process of the Tesla is different than other cars where you touch the handle to unlock the car so it knows who's key is being used to open the door. Tesla just unlocks as you come close but still it would be a great feature to add via keyfob or otherwise and a triple-click solution or even double-click would be easy to add on with software updates.

The "reach down and move the seat adjuster back.....how hard is that" comment is flippant - we know this is a "1st world problem" but it is still an issue on a $100k+ car and something simple to fix IMO. It's not a big deal, but for those who are used to it - it would be like not having heated seats in the Tesla but they have had them in most luxury cars for the past 10-20 years so it would seem logical to have them on this car. Fortunately Tesla got it right on enough of the luxury features but the key-specific profile is a very handy feature for some of us... .

I feel your pain, OP. Having come from BMW (for a long time) I am very used to driver specific keys. One challenge would be the "keyless entry" process of the Tesla is different than other cars where you touch the handle to unlock the car so it knows who's key is being used to open the door. Tesla just unlocks as you come close but still it would be a great feature to add via keyfob or otherwise and a triple-click solution or even double-click would be easy to add on with software updates.

The "reach down and move the seat adjuster back.....how hard is that" comment is flippant - we know this is a "1st world problem" but it is still an issue on a $100k+ car and something simple to fix IMO. It's not a big deal, but for those who are used to it - it would be like not having heated seats in the Tesla but they have had them in most luxury cars for the past 10-20 years so it would seem logical to have them on this car. Fortunately Tesla got it right on enough of the luxury features but the key-specific profile is a very handy feature for some of us... .
"Just reach down and turn the window crank how hard is that you're afraid of some hard work? Maybe you shouldn't be driving a Tesla and should get a corolla."

Somehow my Cadillac could do that when both my wife and I were in the cars with our keys. If I recall, I think it might have been based on who opened the drivers door and which fob was in proximity of the drivers door when opened. It had very accurate sensing of where the fob was. Several times, I set my keys on the sunroof as I got in, but the car knew the keys were outside and wouldn't start. As I say, a clever implementation having profiles linked to the fob, but driving solo most of the time not something I miss.

The lack of fob-specific settings surprised me, too. The service advisor who delivered my car seemed a bit sheepish when I simply assumed this functionality existed.

So far I've addressed the issue by "forgetting" to show my wife how the car works, so she's afraid to drive it. Somehow I don't think this is going to work much longer...

My Accord knows which person approached the drivers door and moves the seat/changes radio/connects to my phone automatically as soon as I open it, even when she (and her purse and keys) are in the car. It can't be that hard to implement if Honda does in a car that cost ~25% of my P85. This is an example of something that could probably be implemented in one "Hackathon" day at Tesla if they did one.

Suggest it as an improvement to Tesla, but it's really not worth getting your fruit of the looms in a bunch over. The Volt doesn't even have power seats. I'm over 40, and I've still never had a car that had any kind of driver profiles at all.

I agree that this should be a standard feature...but I think we are missing the bigger picture here...

Why is he allowing his wife to drive his MS? Simple solution, don't let her drive it...worst case buy a second one for her to drive...

Tucker

Those with the childish responses have probably never owned a luxury car before - although I'm sure they will chime in with a made up list. In any case, it sounds like the easiest remedy is to program in the exit feature to both profiles. I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'4", so it's always been a challenge getting in after her. I haven't taken delivery yet, but that's my plan. Thanks for the heads up.