Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile not key specific???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to actually entering the car, reach down and move the seat adjuster back......how hard is that.

Like I used to do with my Acura 20 years ago??? Really??? WEAK SAUCE HERE... :sigh:

Does your wife request that you put the toilet seat down when youre done?

Absolutely. So what's your point?? :sigh: again.
Actually, I close the lid when I'm done.

I agree that this should be a standard feature...but I think we are missing the bigger picture here...

Why is he allowing his wife to drive his MS? Simple solution, don't let her drive it...worst case buy a second one for her to drive...

Tucker

It's actually her car most of the time, but she'd prefer I drive when we go out together.

It's PATHETIC how the Tesla Fanboi's drink the cool-Aid so hard that they prefer to overlook obvious FLAWS in a car that cost $70,000- $120,000+.
And are we really going to compare a Tesla to a Volt?? Really?? Just because the doors unlock automatically, doesn't mean I can't push the roof of the fob to tell the car who's driving next.

Here's a REAL simple fix. Add a profile button on the door or seat like all the premium manufacturers have on their LOW END cars.
Or like someone said above, add it to the app.
And I agree, the radio stations should be key specific too. Are there really only 6 presets?? Before all you Pandora junkies go off about "who listens to radio..." I listen to sports talk radio and like too jump from show to show, along with a few talk radio stations.

I'm not even sure why people are being defensive about Tesla on this point. It's a feature that's available on cars costing a fraction of the price of a Tesla and it's very convenient for couples that have extremely variant heights. My wife is 14" shorter than I am. When she drives the car and doesn't reset it to my profile I literally cannot sit in the car. It's such a simple thing to implement that I literally cannot conceive of the counter argument against it. Don't just argue for the sake of it people.

I think it would be a really cool feature. I had it on my previous two vehicles (Benz and Lincoln) but it's not really bothering me with the Tesla. As others have said, put it in as a feature request. It's going to probably be just below the middle of their priority list, though.

As was already mentioned, I think just adding the profiles to the app is the easiest solution. My wife is 14" shorter than me, and I'd be fine with that. The fanboys in this thread that can't take constructive criticism (about a product they weren't even involved in making!) is pretty astonishing though. And if I see one more person compare a Volt, Leaf, or Prius to a Model S on this forum about things like this I'm going to lose my sh**.

This is the biggest con we've found in considering a Model S. Our Fusion Energi automatically adjusts the seats based on which key is sensed when grabbing the driver's door handle. It works perfectly. My wife is 5'9 & I'm 6'3, so the difference is just enough that it would be annoying, but I usually can still squeeze into the car when the seat is forward for her. In our Focus Electric we have to manually press the power seat buttons to move the seat back & forth, so it's something that we are used to doing on a regular basis. The Model S would be our only car however, so the switching between drivers would become even more common than it is now. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's a feature that one would expect to be standard on a car that costs so much money.

If you do setup a profile marked "exit", how would that work? Would that mean that at the end of each drive you would have to go to the profiles screen & select the exit profile? And then the next driver would have to go to that screen & select their profile?

For profiles where your seat is moved forward a bit, will the seat automatically slide back when you go to exit the car?

Because if both your and your wife get in the car with keys in your pocket, how does it know which one of you is driving?

Both my wife's Acura and my Infiniti have no problem figuring this out.

It's just laziness on Tesla's part (or differing priorities). Another example of that lack of luxury in the Tesla interior.

Auto-exiting profile is totally something at least they could add via software (even if they might not be able to do key-specific profiles), but given their priorities, I'm not holding my breath.

Infinitis (and many other luxury brands) have been doing it for many years, and even the wife's Acura half does it (steering wheel only, no seat movement).

Those with the childish responses have probably never owned a luxury car before - although I'm sure they will chime in with a made up list.

OK get ready to call my response Childish because of the low class of cars I bought before this. At least you didn't put me in a suicide cult like later posters!

I am grateful that my Model S has any profile memory. Turned out it has pretty much unlimited profiles, there's one for me, my daughter, for reading, for reclining and napping, valet, and more empties to spare. These hold Climate and Seat Heat settings which I wouldn't have thought of doing, guess I'm a "no-brain" or "less than none."

My wife's late-model, fully optioned, "Touring" Edition Forester won't even remember even ONE profile. When I drive hers, I get a cramped neck because if I move the seat "she'll take forever to get it back to normal" - we take two cars everywhere so it is not that often.

The Tesla spoils me and I'm the first to admit it too.

/snippyrant

Last edited:
This feature probably doesn't exist because Tesla doesn't have a long history of catering to classic rich people like Mercedes Benz, Rolls-Royce, or some other luxury brand might. Simply put, they didn't realize it would be an expectation. I'm sure they will add it eventually, perhaps sooner rather than later if they get a lot of polite requests.

I think the only solution is to just have your wife get her own car. :p

2015-02-05%2014.54.25-1920.jpg

The Tesla apologists in these types of threads are concerning to me...

But in any event, I totally agree with OP here. This is a basic feature that my Corvette and my wife's Pathfinder have. Not only that, but I loved the feature of the Corvette to default to an "exit" position for the seat and steering wheel (seat goes back, wheel goes in) as soon as the car is turned off.

I have a feeling all of these requests should be able to be added after the fact. Surely each fob has a unique identifier.

Prior to actually entering the car, reach down and move the seat adjuster back......how hard is that.

Why not just manually adjust the seat, mirrors, and everything else very time you get in? How hard is that?

Lacking this feature was almost a deal breaker for me. I rolled the dice and figured they'd fix it eventually. Almost a year later and nothing. Some keep spewing the same lame excuse that of how is the car going to know which key to choose? First, none of our other cars that do this have ever had an issue with it. Our Infiniti knows which key is used to open the drivers side door. Even with auto present door handles, you still have to touch the handle and this is the point at which the Infiniti selects the profile. Even if Tesla had some limitation like there was only one antenna, it could still choose the selected default key if both were present or select the profile that provides the most room so that the taller driver isn't unable to get in and then they could select their profile own profile. Any time only one key is present, there's no conflict.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel your pain, OP. Having come from BMW (for a long time) I am very used to driver specific keys. One challenge would be the "keyless entry" process of the Tesla is different than other cars where you touch the handle to unlock the car so it knows who's key is being used to open the door.

Nope, not a reason. You still have to touch handle to open the door even with auto presenting turned on and the car know when the handle has been touched even if handles have already presented. How is this any different than pressing the request button on the Infiniti?

- - - Updated - - -

This a great idea and I've now created an exit profile as well. I do understand the OPs complaint. I wonder what the official reason for not having them key-aware is?

We did the same but my wife refuses to remember to use so I always have to manually adjust the seat like I used to do on my college budget cars from the 80's.

I stopped reminding her to use the exit profile, because every time I did she'd remind me how much I spent it.

It's such an obvious flaw that I'm convinced that there's a fundamental hardware limitation that prevents them from implementing this. Perhaps the computer that deals with the keyfob is separate and can't can't link with the one that deals with profile selection.

Why not just manually adjust the seat, mirrors, and everything else very time you get in? How hard is that?

Lacking this feature was almost a deal breaker for me. I rolled the dice and figured they'd fix it eventually. Almost a year later and nothing. Some keep spewing the same lame excuse that of how is the car going to know which key to choose? First, none of our other cars that do this have ever had an issue with it. Our Infiniti knows which key is used to open the drivers side door. Even with auto present door handles, you still have to touch the handle and this is the point at which the Infiniti selects the profile. Even if Tesla had some limitation like there was only one antenna, it could still choose the selected default key if both were present or select the profile that provides the most room so that the taller driver isn't unable to get in and then they could select their profile own profile. Any time only one key is present, there's no conflict.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, not a reason. You still have to touch handle to open the door even with auto presenting turned on and the car know when the handle has been touched even if handles have already presented. How is this any different than pressing the request button on the Infiniti?

- - - Updated - - -

We did the same but my wife refuses to remember to use so I always have to manually adjust the seat like I used to do on my college budget cars from the 80's.

I stopped reminding her to use the exit profile, because every time I did she'd remind me how much I spent it.

It's such an obvious flaw that I'm convinced that there's a fundamental hardware limitation that prevents them from implementing this. Perhaps the computer that deals with the keyfob is separate and can't can't link with the one that deals with profile selection.

Auto-exit profile when the door opens or the car is put in park would go a very long way towards satisfying me.

This feature probably doesn't exist because Tesla doesn't have a long history of catering to classic rich people like Mercedes Benz, Rolls-Royce, or some other luxury brand might.

I'm sorry, but you don't need to buy a Rolls-Royce to get seat position memory linked to a key fob. It's on $20k Fords. I also don't know what a "classic rich person" is, but the amount of money people make has nothing to do with them wanting basic functionality that has been in many cheaper automobiles for over 10 years.

I get it. Tesla is a young company. They're learning. They couldn't have thought of everything. And what they've done in such a short amount of time is really amazing. No one is taking away from that. But to say that giving us some way of accessing seat position memory or profiles without having to get in the car and use the touch screen is an unnecessary "classic rich person" request is silly.