Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile not key specific???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I absolutely miss this feature too. I have had the feature before on a 5-series BMW and even on a VW Passat.
Granted, on both cars I needed to actually press a button on the key to unlock them. Unlocking activated the profile switch.

For me, it would be a great help to allow me to link a specific profile to each of the keys. Even if it only activates when I use the key to open the car (roof click or roof hold or whatever), I would be pretty happy. Currently, there are two manipulations of the key that interact with the charging port (roof hold to open, rear double click to unlock); one of these actions could easily do both jobs. The other one could be replaced by a specific driver profile activation.

And while we're at it, also link the creep mode to the driver profile. My wife is used to creep (drives a prius). I absolutely loathe creep. And switching between the modes is quite deep into the menus.

For me, the biggest concern is the car not knowing if the fob is inside or outside the car. I'm not sure how that could be fixed with the current hardware.
That is a valid issue, and one I agree likely requires new hardware, however it's also completely separate from the issue we were discussing.

- - - Updated - - -

And while we're at it, also link the creep mode to the driver profile. My wife is used to creep (drives a prius). I absolutely loathe creep. And switching between the modes is quite deep into the menus.
There are MANY things that should be added to the current driver profile. Creep mode being the most dangerous omission so far (nothing worse than the car's actual movement being other than you expect!) but I really can't figure out how they decided what things to/not to include, seems like they rolled a die at random.

That is a valid issue, and one I agree likely requires new hardware, however it's also completely separate from the issue we were discussing.

- - - Updated - - -

There are MANY things that should be added to the current driver profile. Creep mode being the most dangerous omission so far (nothing worse than the car's actual movement being other than you expect!) but I really can't figure out how they decided what things to/not to include, seems like they rolled a die at random.

Creep can't be changed while the vehicle isn't in park, but driver profiles can. So creep I kind of understand, although I don't see why they couldn't change this.

Creep can't be changed while the vehicle isn't in park, but driver profiles can. So creep I kind of understand, although I don't see why they couldn't change this.
Is there any good reason for either of those though? I can't think of why I'd want to change profiles while driving, nor can I think of a good reason you shouldn't be able to change the creep setting while doing so.

Actually, it's you that are misunderstanding. I was simply making the suggestion to use the phone to id the driver, but you didn't get that and so re-suggested it.

I may have misunderstood you when you said this (emphasis added for clarity). It certainly sounded to me like you were suggesting that one had to use the key fob to get the feature:

I respectfully disagree.

Using the key fob is so last decade, and impractical for my family. We have 3 drivers and 4 vehicles. How would you set that up? 12 key rings - one for each driver/car combination? That's silly. Maybe a ring for each driver that has 4 fobs and house key? That's ungainly huge.

And your suggestion that we do completely manual seat/wheel/mirror adjustment every time is ludicrous, in a bad way.

My point was that if you need more profiles than a system can provide, then use none; it's exactly the same state you're in right now with Tesla, but it still allows people with more mainstream needs to be satisfied with a 1- or 2-person profile solution.

I respectfully suggest that the implication that the use case of four different drivers each needing custom profiles as something any auto manufacturer should spend engineering resources on is actually the ludicrous statement.

Last edited:
I respectfully suggest that the implication that the use case of four different drivers each needing custom profiles as something any auto manufacturer should spend engineering resources on is actually the ludicrous statement.

Well, you're still misunderstanding. I didn't say or suggest that.

And whether we're talking 4 or 3 or even just 2 drivers, requiring drivers to use a specific key fob not optimal. With two people, two cars you have:
A) 2 key rings, each with 2 fobs and house key
B) 4 key rings, each with 1 fob and house key

The former makes the ring bigger than it needs to be. The latter is kind of silly. Linking settings to the phone is the best option today, IMO.

I'm coming back to this thread after several days away from it, so will comment on a few things at once...

I stopped reminding her to use the exit profile, because every time I did she'd remind me how much I spent <on> it.

OK, that's just hilarious!

One point I wanted to make for everyone advocating for the Exit profile as a solution: while it's a decent work-around, think about how much money and time Tesla may wind up spending in warranty replacement costs for parts that wear out sooner than they otherwise would. Any couple using an Exit profile every time either one of them gets out of the car is requiring a lot more movement from the seats and steering wheel. I expect it would actually be cheaper, in the long-run, for Tesla to just give us what we want.

It would be nice to have, but until Tesla has multiple fob sensors so that it can determine the location of each fob, it will be more trouble than it's worth because it would adjust the seats to whichever fob it latched onto first, so there's a 50% chance of getting it wrong.

There have been some ideas floated about first presenting the handles, based on any fob being present, and then selecting the profile, based on fob proximity to the driver's side, or based on a touch of the driver's door handle that could work. But even if for some reason those ideas could not work, couples could easily be "trained." Once we knew what the car's behavior was going to be with two fobs present, if it was important to us that the driver's fob be recognized, we could just make sure that the driver approach the car first. It's not that complicated. And it may not be a perfect solution, but it's a lot better than what we have now. As for the argument made by some who prefer things not move around too much, because of incorrectly identified fobs, etc., the "adjust profile based on fob" should be an option that can be turned off by owners who don't want to use it. So for those people, nothing will change.

Is there some formal request process to ask Tesla to consider adding this feature to the app, or if possible the keys?

There's no formal request process, but the more people that write to Tesla, the better.

If we can find an email to direct our suggestion to, I'd gladly submit a request for it and see if we can get enough users to do the same to push them to look into a change!

The address to write to is: [email protected]

When you write, I'd suggest asking that your request be passed on to the appropriate department.

I guess they don't want to link some of the parameters (like creep) to the driver profile because switching them while driving is considered to be too dangerous.
I think that's nonsense: I can assure you that accidental activation my wife's profile while driving will cause me to be squished to death by the seat movement (she's 5ft 4" and I am 6ft 5") :)

Anyway, this really should be linked one way or another to the key.

It's pretty obvious that all the Tesla Fanboi's who don't think it's a big deal NEVER HAD IT BEFORE!!
Or they're the same height as their spouse/partner.

I'm over 6' and my wife is 5'3". We also had this feature in our Ford Winstar Minivan back in 2003. So there goes your theory on that one.

It's just that if my wife drives our Tesla (which isn't very often -- and that's likely the same for most here since most spouses have their own vehicles -- hence my joke that she gets her own vehicle) my wife simply presses my profile when she gets out. I live in a house with my wife and three daughters and I always put the toilet seat down. It's strange how you get so upset about something that is so easily solved with common courtesy.

I'm over 6' and my wife is 5'3". We also had this feature in our Ford Winstar Minivan back in 2003. So there goes your theory on that one.

It's just that if my wife drives our Tesla (which isn't very often -- and that's likely the same for most here since most spouses have their own vehicles -- hence my joke that she gets her own vehicle) my wife simply presses my profile when she gets out. I live in a house with my wife and three daughters and I always put the toilet seat down. It's strange how you get so upset about something that is so easily solved with common courtesy.

For the mods, why is it this response kept, but all the others cut out? Doesn't seem like you're trying to diffuse the situation then.

As for the "joke," I totally missed it since the emoji looks more like a :/ to me than a wink, if that's what you meant.
Maybe the emoji's need an update.

I had a post caught in the purge that has been showing as the last post in snippiness all day and all I did in that post was try to help a new member by answering his direct question, explaining in detail how to unsubscribe from a thread!

The mods have a lot of work to do. I really don't think you have a lot to complain about in this case. Some posts were moved, some weren't. The mods probably did not spend hours struggling with their decisions on this, as it just isn't that important.

++1
For my two cents,
I agree that upon hitting the 'Park' button AND opening the driver's door, the car should apply your 'Exit" profile mode (with all settings as previously set, the same as clicking the previously set up 'EXIT' profile setting).
This way, when ever a FOB that enters the car, AND the seat switch notes that a driver is in the seat, and the car is placed in Drive, that specific fob's / Driver's Profile settings, will apply.
All this does is automate your current Profile setups, based on a certain fob I.D. driver occupancy and Park versus, Drive selection.
Sure would cut down on having to access the screen to do basic functions such as entry and exit.
If, And , Or logic

My comment about $20k Fords was not directed at you. :D A standard Ford Fusion in the "SE" trim/package/whatever that comes with Keyless entry and seat memory starts at $23,xxx. I understand you can spend $40k+ on a Fusion, but the point was that there ARE Fords in the $20k price range with this feature.

No offense taken. Heck, Ford's dropped the price ~$6k already (/cry). You are correct the keyless entry and 10 way power seats are all that you need and they are options on several models now. I imagine that you can also get them on Focus, CMax, and maybe even Fiesta soon. They seems to push features down the chain after a couple of years.

The Ford system is nice in the the 1-2-3 buttons work even with the car 'off', so I can start charging, get back in hit #3 for nap and then #1 for driving without waking up the car.