Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver profile problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been acting up lately. I was driving down the road the other day and my screen went black. Then I was driving down the road while my screen showed my car in park. Scary.

But what's as annoying as that is that my phone doesn't seem to be triggering my driving profile. Every time I get in the car it defaults from easy entry to my wife's profile, even though she isn't in the car. It's a small annoyance, but it shouldn't happen. Even my Acura TL in 2009 could tell the difference between my key and the wife's key. Doesn't help my annoyance that I'm 6'4 and my wife is 5'4 and her seat setting basically makes me bump my head on the ceiling!

Any insight?

Yep. The car might randomly pick a phone to respond to, anywhere within BLE range which I think is around 5'.

Also, the phone and car don't always connect by Bluetooth, in which case it's sure to pick another phone key in range.

1. Go into the car's Bluetooth menu and set your phone as the preferred one unless your wife drives it more often. (This is a new feature. It's possible your car hasn't installed that software update yet. Still, cheers for software updates!)

2. Set her driver profile to use Easy Entry so even when it picks her phone, it won't try to smash you. Also you can stop the seat positioning by tapping any of the position buttons on the side of the seat, or by picking your profile on the screen.

3. If the car fails to connect to your phone by Bluetooth, this will affect unlocking, starting, and audio streaming. Try turning your phone's Bluetooth off & back on. Try tapping Connect in the car's Bluetooth menu. Try rebooting the phone.

My car has been acting up lately. I was driving down the road the other day and my screen went black. Then I was driving down the road while my screen showed my car in park. Scary.

But what's as annoying as that is that my phone doesn't seem to be triggering my driving profile. Every time I get in the car it defaults from easy entry to my wife's profile, even though she isn't in the car. It's a small annoyance, but it shouldn't happen. Even my Acura TL in 2009 could tell the difference between my key and the wife's key. Doesn't help my annoyance that I'm 6'4 and my wife is 5'4 and her seat setting basically makes me bump my head on the ceiling!

Any insight?
You can set one "Priority/Primary" driver, and the car will default to him/her. The setting can be found in the Bluetooth Settings. This video explains it.