Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver profile steering wheel bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Expected behavior:
1) Our Model X sets to wife’s profile with her key when she drives it
2) When it’s my time drive, our Model X switches to my driver profile when
it detects my key

Actual behavior:
it detects my key but steering wheel stays at wife’s position.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Yup. Same for us. Steering wheel rarely changes. I’ll try this work around next time. Thanks!

Side note, does anyone’s head rest adjust any more? Pretty sure it used to depending in how close the seat was to the steering wheel.

Hi Scott,

Have you tried adjusting the steering wheel while on your profile?
Usually, any adjustments under a profile will flash the Save? screen...
If it does not flash the Save? screen - Things are really fouled up.
If it does flash the Save? screen - Touch Save and hope for the best...

Shawn

Nope ...
Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 1.07.58 pm.png

I’ve experienced this as well for at least a year. The workaround has been to switch to her profile and then back to mine a second time and the steering wheel adjusts.
Seems to me like it would be easier to adjust the steering wheel slightly so that the save and restore options come up on your profile, then restore your profile. This should theoretically put the steering wheel where it belongs without moving everything else again. Regardless, if the behavior is completely consistent, I would show service the next time I was in (not something I'd make an appointment for, but something I'd want addressed when there anyway).

Mine does this, but I only have one profile, plus the easy exit profile. Sometimes it works to switch to the easy exit, then back to my profile. However, I've had to re-adjust and save the settings multiple times when switching back and forth stops working. Also, once and only once I've had it totally lose all of my profile settings and I had to adjust the seat and steering. Normally it's just the steering wheel...

Expected behavior:
it detects my key

Actual behavior:
it detects my key but steering wheel stays at wife’s position.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Noticed this too, but only after a recent release. Not sure which one unfortunately because we don’t switch profiles very often. But can confirm it’s the same for me.

Given the other comments on the thread, it’s clearly a firmware bug. The SC won’t be able to fix it so manual adjustment until Tesla fixes it in a future release is the only option.

I now have an issue that key-fob does not recognize me at all. After my wife has driven I always have to manually set it to my personal profile. Tried rebooting to no avail. Anyone else have or had this issue?

I have a 21 X.

My wife has been saying that my profile randomly comes up when she gets in the car to drive to work. I kinda believed her but I can never be sure.

Last night we went to dinner.

On the way to dinner, she got in the drivers seat to drive and it activated her profile as expected.

On our way home she got in the drivers seat and my profile activated...and my fob was at home 15 miles away.

I have a 21 X.

My wife has been saying that my profile randomly comes up when she gets in the car to drive to work. I kinda believed her but I can never be sure.

Last night we went to dinner.

On the way to dinner, she got in the drivers seat to drive and it activated her profile as expected.

On our way home she got in the drivers seat and my profile activated...and my fob was at home 15 miles away.
I have a 21 X and we had the exact same issue. I was the #1 fab she the #2 fab. I switched so she is the #1 and I am #2 and seemed to solve it for now. Like sometimes it automatically reverts to # 1 fab. Strange I know.

Reactions: MikeKFE