Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver profile switch and trunk release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
  1. What makes the car randomly switch to my wife's driver profile?
    • Then it starts readjusting the seat when I get in. (Her profile is set for Easy Entry so it won't immediately squash me.)
    • Is it that her phone was recently near the car or contacted the car, even though I'm getting in with my phone?
    • Or that she accidentally tapped the app's Android notification?
  2. Last night, the car warned me that the trunk was "open" in the garage. Nobody touched the car in hours but indeed it was released. What could cause that?
    • Maybe my wife unknowingly released the trunk via the phone app?
    • Any other possibilities? If I'd triggered it via the app, the notification wouldn't have been so puzzling.

I don’t have android so I can’t guess how those notifications look.

The Android Tesla app's notification usually looks like this:
upload_2020-9-27_14-49-15.png

amidst all the other notifications to scroll through.

That's a bit risky for people who are imprecise with their taps & scrolls or don't understand some of the fine distinctions in the UI. I hear "What just happened?" often. Hmm. I should show her how to adjust the UI timeouts.

As of this morning, I stand corrected regarding the significant other unlock issue. My fiancé was nowhere near the car and as far as I know I hadn’t been for sometime, but sure enough I sat down in the car hit the brake, and it went to her profile. The only thing I can imagine is that the bedroom (where her phone was) is not that far away from the garage and maybe her her Bluetooth signal is strong enough to make it there.

Yes, Bluetooth phone signals can go through walls. The car seems to unlock when my phone gets within about 10', so through the garage wall to the adjacent room is viable for my wife's phone.

But it's weird that the distant signal is taking precedence over my phone which is entering the car.

Tesla releases new software update with 2 new small features - Electrek
> Tesla software update 2020.40 includes a new feature...
>> To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones.

1. What makes the car randomly switch to my wife's driver profile?
    • Then it starts readjusting the seat when I get in. (Her profile is set for Easy Entry so it won't immediately squash me.)
    • Is it that her phone was recently near the car or contacted the car, even though I'm getting in with my phone?
    • Or that she accidentally tapped the app's Android notification?
  2. Last night, the car warned me that the trunk was "open" in the garage. Nobody touched the car in hours but indeed it was released. What could cause that?
    • Maybe my wife unknowingly released the trunk via the phone app?
    • Any other possibilities? If I'd triggered it via the app, the notification wouldn't have been so puzzling.
You wife may be set as the "Primary/Default" driver. Change it in the Bluetooth settings. CHECK THIS for MORE:

You wife may be set as the "Primary/Default" driver. Change it in the Bluetooth settings. CHECK THIS for MORE:

The unclear UI makes that misunderstanding easy.

Actually, each Driver Profile has its own preferred Bluetooth device for phone calls, text messages, and audio streaming. That's what the video demo is selecting.

Separately, each Phone Key can select a driver profile.

IIRC, I set my wife's Phone Key to not select a driver profile so it won't usurp mine. Her Zoom room is next to the garage and probably within Bluetooth range.

I love the phone-as-key convenience, but agree it is not nearly as seamless as my old Cadillac's reliability of linking driver profile to smart entry fobs. The Caddy never mixed them up even when both of us had our fobs and switched driver/passenger duties at a gas station stop. I think that car had sensors at each door and trunk.

The Tesla phone key just as often selects the correct profile as not when we're using the car together. Maybe a future version support UWB will have better time-of-flight ranging measurements for each phone.

It has occurred to me that it might be less trouble to use the RFID keycard, since I keep it in my phone folio wallet anyway as the outermost card. As such, I can hold my phone up to the B pillar to lock/unlock the car. That always selects the correct profile. I'd be less likely to leave the phone on the wireless charging mat as well. Hmm.

I love the phone-as-key convenience, but agree it is not nearly as seamless as my old Cadillac's reliability of linking driver profile to smart entry fobs. The Caddy never mixed them up even when both of us had our fobs and switched driver/passenger duties at a gas station stop. I think that car had sensors at each door and trunk.

The Tesla phone key just as often selects the correct profile as not when we're using the car together. Maybe a future version support UWB will have better time-of-flight ranging measurements for each phone.

It has occurred to me that it might be less trouble to use the RFID keycard, since I keep it in my phone folio wallet anyway as the outermost card. As such, I can hold my phone up to the B pillar to lock/unlock the car. That always selects the correct profile. I'd be less likely to leave the phone on the wireless charging mat as well. Hmm.

I use the phone key, and picked up a FOB for my Wife.

Tim

Reactions: Ampre Sand
Do you find that when both your wife and you are taking the car together that the driver profile is selected more reliably that way? I was thinking the fob used the same BLE beacon that is implemented with the phone, so would have essentially the same behavior.

I’ll let you know once she ever decides she wants to actually try and drive it! 😂

Tim