Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am a newbie here so please forgive me if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

Just ordered a Model 3 Long Range for delivery in May and starting to research everything :oops:

I was wondering if you have 2 people connected to the car via their smart phones and they both enter the car at the same time, how does the car know which driver profile to set?

Also, given that a phone can easily be stolen and the thief can then enter and drive away the car, do users recommend setting a pin for each driver?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I think there is only one pin to drive set. Doesn’t matter who’s driving. Thieves will falter and go go nowhere whether they have your phone or not.
As a rider to that, it doesn’t matter if you just got out and car hasn’t locked. If you forget to go into park before getting out, the car will do it and pin to drive will be required.

Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0
It does allow 2 of you to get in the car with phones and in my experience it 100% sets the profile to the person in the passenger seat!!!

I spent MONTHS and hundreds of emails to Tesla and 3 home visits to resolve the problem. It’s quite simple really, in the states they drive on the opposite side to us and something needs updating in U.K. cars to set the profile from OUR driver’s seat.

I gave up talking to a brick and now the other user has to manually select their settings! Too bad really.

Upvote 0
It does allow 2 of you to get in the car with phones and in my experience it 100% sets the profile to the person in the passenger seat!!!

I spent MONTHS and hundreds of emails to Tesla and 3 home visits to resolve the problem. It’s quite simple really, in the states they drive on the opposite side to us and something needs updating in U.K. cars to set the profile from OUR driver’s seat.

I gave up talking to a brick and now the other user has to manually select their settings! Too bad really.
Pretty much sums it up in one 😂 I have to run to be first at the car to make sure my profile is selected.

Upvote 0

Not so simple. If that were the case it would affect every RHD car the same way ... and it doesn't. My wife and I get in the car at the same time ... and my profile is the one chosen when I'm driving. This didn't used to be the case. It was my wife's phone that took precedence whether driving or not ... but still not following the passenger seat idea. I removed an older phone that I used to have from the list and confirmed the priorities and now it defaults to my phone when I'm driving. There may well be a bug affecting profile choice consistency but it's definitely not as simple as a LHD RHD issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71 and spdpsba
Upvote 0
Not so simple. If that were the case it would affect every RHD car the same way ... and it doesn't. My wife and I get in the car at the same time ... and my profile is the one chosen when I'm driving. This didn't used to be the case. It was my wife's phone that took precedence whether driving or not ... but still not following the passenger seat idea. I removed an older phone that I used to have from the list and confirmed the priorities and now it defaults to my phone when I'm driving. There may well be a bug affecting profile choice consistency but it's definitely not as simple as a LHD RHD issue.
Maybe they’ve fixed it then. I wouldn’t know because as I said I removed that option from my car because it was driving me nuts.

It is/was a RHD/LHD issue. I created a topic on this forum and at the time anybody who had 2 phones in the car at the same time all experienced the same issue as did several people who started a similar topic in Australia where again they drive on the same side as us. Even Tesla U.K. confirmed the issue when they came to my house but the issue never got fixed.

Upvote 0
Infact as I remember, I could be sitting in the car with my profile set and as soon as my partner arrived at the car the profile would suddenly swap to the passenger side. If we got out and swapped phones and did the same thing the profile would swap to the passenger side again so the phone and the profile settings weren't the issue.

Upvote 0
Infact as I remember, I could be sitting in the car with my profile set and as soon as my partner arrived at the car the profile would suddenly swap to the passenger side. If we got out and swapped phones and did the same thing the profile would swap to the passenger side again so the phone and the profile settings weren't the issue.
I recall some people experiencing what you describe (I did for a long time too) but it wasn’t the experience of everyone. If it was just the way it was designed then surely everyone with a LHD car would experience the same behaviour?

In my own case it was also related to the fact that my wife’s phone used a stronger Bluetooth signal. My phone needs to be very close to the car door whereas my wife’s would make a connection much further away. However, even though that is still the case her phone has stopped taking over the profile setting once I reset the phone key list.

Upvote 0
I think this has been resolved in previous posts.
It’s because the aerial is located in the passenger wing mirror & therefore the signal is strongest from the phone that’s nearest.

Upvote 0
The car always gets my profile when I open the drivers door even if my wife carries her phone. It worked 99% of the time if my phone in my front pocket.

Upvote 0
I imagine Tesla would just recommend buying a Tesla for each driver to avoid this issue.
It is funny.

The real issue here is multiple conflicting interfaces involved in making the handshake.

Also each of us have our own set ups. Not many use easy entry as default once parked. This can easily avoid squeezing in and out if the car chooses wrong profile. Once you have easy entry set up then entering the car irrespective of which profile chosen isn’t a bother.

The next bit is iOS and android interfaces act slightly differently, I meant the Bluetooth connectivity etc.,

The last bit is the handshake Tesla does and this is probably 5-8 feet distance when the real hand shake happens to open the car. So when it detects the phone it pulls out the profile. Now if both of you are walking and are at the same distance it is hard for the hand shake to happen so the specificity decreases by the time you reach the door and the connection happens based on the stronger signals etc.,

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
Upvote 0