Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am a newbie here so please forgive me if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

Just ordered a Model 3 Long Range for delivery in May and starting to research everything :oops:

I was wondering if you have 2 people connected to the car via their smart phones and they both enter the car at the same time, how does the car know which driver profile to set?

Also, given that a phone can easily be stolen and the thief can then enter and drive away the car, do users recommend setting a pin for each driver?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I continue to suffer from this issue.

Both my wife (Galaxy S20) and I (Galaxy Z Flip3) have Android devices. We also have 'Easy Entry' configured on our M3P. We both have our own profiles that are correctly selected whenever we use the car without the other anywhere near by. If we are both traveling - which 99% of the time means I'm driving! :) - my wife's profile is the one auto-selected by the car 99% of the time. It is VERY frustrating.

I recognise it is easy to manually re-select the correct profile, but that doesn't make it any less irritating! I also recognise that I can disable the auto-selection, but I don't want to do that as I do enjoy it when it gets it right when I'm traveling alone.

I'm therefore just waiting for the Tesla update (or magic solution from someone on this forum or elsewhere) that gets this working properly for me.

Upvote 0
We have all the settings on, and whatever we changed, it just used the profile the last person used the car. It never seems to choose the driver/profile that is linked to the phone. Bit crap really imo. It does only take a couple of seconds to change it once in the car, but still.

Upvote 0
I continue to suffer from this issue.

Both my wife (Galaxy S20) and I (Galaxy Z Flip3) have Android devices. We also have 'Easy Entry' configured on our M3P. We both have our own profiles that are correctly selected whenever we use the car without the other anywhere near by. If we are both traveling - which 99% of the time means I'm driving! :) - my wife's profile is the one auto-selected by the car 99% of the time. It is VERY frustrating.

I recognise it is easy to manually re-select the correct profile, but that doesn't make it any less irritating! I also recognise that I can disable the auto-selection, but I don't want to do that as I do enjoy it when it gets it right when I'm traveling alone.

I'm therefore just waiting for the Tesla update (or magic solution from someone on this forum or elsewhere) that gets this working properly for me.
May be do it in such a way you are often the first one to exit the house!

Upvote 0
I won't set up auto profiles until they use the internal camera to decide who is in what seat and the facial recognition is written by a different team than the auto headlights/wipers etc.

If we change drivers, it takes 5 seconds to change profile and we get the correct profile 100% of the time. I cannot see any need to use auto profiles when its a constant fight every time you get in the car.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for so many replies. It sounds like the best solution is to set up easy entry and then select who is driving if necessary. And create one pin as a back up if someone was to nick a phone. I am in Portugal so shouldn't get the LHR/RHD problem mentioned. Well I hope not. Don't remember being asked which side I wanted the steering wheel 🙂

Upvote 0