Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver safety training

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has come across a company offering advanced driver safety trainings. A few people in my team drive company cars (EV, Hybrid, ICE) and are on the roads daily.
I am thinking of organizing a day where we can experience and improve on our driving skills (skid plate, obstacle avoidance, heavy breaking etc). I have done a few of these trainings before and found them really useful and also a lot of fun. It's a good and fun day out that actually benefits everyone's skills.

Are there any half-day or full-day providers in the London or South East area?

Thanks

Thanks, I will check them out. Generally I totally agree, it is important to drive in a way to prevent these situations in the first place.

Having said that, I am convinced that not every driver has yet experienced how the brake pedal feels when you emergency brake from 60mph ... or what to do if you go round a bend and there are wet leaves which cause the rear to step out. These and many more situations can be practiced in a controlled environment.

I believe that in some countries on the continent (especially the ones with wintery conditions) at least one full-day safety driving course is mandatory within 1 year of passing a driving test.

I did a day at MIRA (now defunct, I believe), and it came in fairly handy when I got stuck driving in a town I didn't know in the snow. Having experienced lift-off oversteer at low speed on a wet, polished track improves your reactions nicely.

As a younger driver in the days before ABS and traction control, I used to go out in the snow and Ice and play - find a quiet housing estate without on-street parking early Sunday mornings and slide my car around... great fun and good practice.
A couple of youngsters got caught out last Saturday night on a steepish bit of single track downhill by my farm....lost it on wet leaves on the bend and wrote his car off wedged between the banking. I had to rope round the remaining front wheel and use my tractor to drag it somewhere safe and give them hot drinks while waiting for their dad.