Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver score without FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not available in my state. Thank you for the info.

I'm only at 1500 miles, but I'm wondering how efficiently I'm driving the car.
Safety Score doesn't tell you that.

For efficiency, there are many ways to see. You can use the trip meter to see the Wh/mile. You can use the Energy screen to see last 5/15/30 miles. You can use 3rd party app to track your trips.

Safety Score doesn't tell you that.

For efficiency, there are many ways to see. You can use the trip meter to see the Wh/mile. You can use the Energy screen to see last 5/15/30 miles. You can use 3rd party app to track your trips.
I'm at 287 Wh/mi. There is a chart for this, but I can't find it again. Our Prius Prime gives us a score out of 100 each time we drive it, as well as encouragement and advice on how to drive it better. The score seemed like it was something similar, but it seems like you need FSD.

Last edited:
I'm at 287 Wh/mi. There is a chart for this, but I can't find it again. Our Prius Prime gives us a score out of 100 each time we drive it, as well as encouragement and advice on how to drive it better. The score seemed like it was something similar, but it seems like you need FSD.
The Prius Prime only scores you on how energy efficient your driving is. I also have 2021 Prius Prime and a 2022 MYLR.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
There is a green Energy button available that you can drag down to the bottom bar of your screen, to keep access simple. Hit the '...' button and you'll see it. It also gives good estimates of range when you're navigating, on the Trips tab.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
In some states, under Tesla insurance, you can get a "Beta" Safety-Score on the Tesla app. It's very Beta IMO. It counts hard braking, too close following, hard turning, collision avoidance alerts etc and they definitely need some tuning, but the basic concept looks ok.

Nothing is done with the score - it's display-only for now (aside from the other use case qualifying for FSD beta)

Is the safety score only if you have FSD? Thanks.
Yes and No. Just having FSD alone doesn't give you the score. You have to sign up to be part of Beta FSD to get the safety score so they can admit you to the Beta FSD program. However, once you are in Beta FSD, you don't see the safety score anymore. I don't have Tesla insurance so I can't say anything about that with safety score.

So if I wanted to subscribe for one month, for instance, is there a screening process before I’m allowed to use it? Or do I subscribe and use it at will?
Well, you can subscribe whenever you want, and request beta. But that doesn't mean you will get it. You have to have a good safety score including 100 miles driven on Autopilot. And then you wait for them to let you in to the beta. Right now, the firmware version of beta is behind where most of us are on our cars (i.e., 2022.36.6) which means that we have to wait for FSD beta to come up to that level before we can get it. So I would wait until they let 'everyone' in before I subscribed. I've subscribed twice this year and still have not gotten the beta. You can use the other features of FSD (Auto Lane Change, Summon, etc) and they are nice, but not worth $200 per month.

Not sure how you could drive 100 mile on autopilot, since it turns off every time you change lanes. That coupled with needing to maintain the same steering wheel contact as just driving the car manually makes it really hard to find any reason to turn it on.

I'm sure my score must be terrible, as I get multiple strident alarms each time I pull into my garage where the walls are a few inches away. Thank heavens for "Joe mode"!

Well, you can subscribe whenever you want, and request beta. But that doesn't mean you will get it. You have to have a good safety score including 100 miles driven on Autopilot. And then you wait for them to let you in to the beta. Right now, the firmware version of beta is behind where most of us are on our cars (i.e., 2022.36.6) which means that we have to wait for FSD beta to come up to that level before we can get it. So I would wait until they let 'everyone' in before I subscribed. I've subscribed twice this year and still have not gotten the beta. You can use the other features of FSD (Auto Lane Change, Summon, etc) and they are nice, but not worth $200 per month.
Got it. Is Navigate on Autopilot included in “other features, or is that part of beta?

Got it. Is Navigate on Autopilot included in “other features, or is that part of beta?
Yes, for highway use. Along with Auto Lane Changes (which is nice, if a little abrupt), Traffic and Stop Sign Control and Auto Park. There are 2 'Summon' features - one called 'Summon' which just backs or forwards the car into a tight spot, and Smart Summon which will bring the car to you in, say, a mall parking lot. So, the nonbeta functions are listed here -