Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Screen Stays On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 MS and noticed that the instrument cluster screen in front of the driver is on when I went into the garage a couple of times today. The main touchscreen is off. The car is unlocked and plugged in but not charging. I did not have my key on me so the car shouldn't have been aware of my presence and certainly didn't appear to wake up (the door handles did not pop out).

Is this normal or a sign of a problem? Is there anyway to get it to turn off without causing restarting issues later?
Jeff

I was never in the car today and I didn't hang around long enough after plugging it in yesterday to see if it went off after bringing up the charging status screen.
I just unplugged it and the screen when off immediately. When I plugged it back in, the charging status screen came up and is still being displayed five minutes later. I'll check it again shortly and report back.

I was never in the car today and I didn't hang around long enough after plugging it in yesterday to see if it went off after bringing up the charging status screen.
I just unplugged it and the screen when off immediately. When I plugged it back in, the charging status screen came up and is still being displayed five minutes later. I'll check it again shortly and report back.
Have you checked via the app to see if it indicates any of the doors/trunk/frunk being open? Wondering if you by chance might have one slightly ajar?

All else fails, you might try a reboot, both main MCU (scroll wheels) and the IP (buttons above the scroll wheels). That's assuming you've not done the MCU2 upgrade, in which case the scroll wheel reboot is all that exists and does both screens.

Just checked again and the screen is off. I got involved in some work stuff so I didn't check as quickly as I hoped so I don't know how quickly it went off.

I didn't check the app but didn't see any notifications of open doors/windows and I never opened anything today. At any rate, it seems that what I saw earlier today was a fluke and the car was at least partially awake for some reason but has now gone back to sleep.

PCMc raises another question though. I'm familiar with the dual scroll wheel reboot and if I recall correctly, it does reboot both screens. Does this mean the car has the MCU2 upgrade? If so, how can I confirm? I'm not familiar with the button above the scroll wheel reboot - I gather with MCU1 cars, this just reboots the instrument panel screen?

I have two 2013 Model S cars. And I am experiencing the exact same behavior: IC comes on for no reason, mirrors unfold and refold for no apparent reason. No windows or doors are open and yes, I've rebooted. The other side effect of this is that my electricity bills have doubled. I have my two EV chargers on a separate circuit and have separate billing from the rest of the house. My bills used to be in the $20-30 range, now they are always in excess of $50. What is even worse is that the $20-30 bills were at a time when I lived and worked full time in the US. Now, I am retired and live (and drive) only six months a year in the US. I believe I read somewhere that Tesla has modified the internals in the car to wake up more frequently and do something to prolong the life of the battery in order to avoid warranty claims. But I could be wrong.

Just checked again and the screen is off. I got involved in some work stuff so I didn't check as quickly as I hoped so I don't know how quickly it went off.

I didn't check the app but didn't see any notifications of open doors/windows and I never opened anything today. At any rate, it seems that what I saw earlier today was a fluke and the car was at least partially awake for some reason but has now gone back to sleep.

PCMc raises another question though. I'm familiar with the dual scroll wheel reboot and if I recall correctly, it does reboot both screens. Does this mean the car has the MCU2 upgrade? If so, how can I confirm? I'm not familiar with the button above the scroll wheel reboot - I gather with MCU1 cars, this just reboots the instrument panel screen?
@JLC13 - Yes, for MCU1 cars, the scroll wheel reboot will just reboot the center screen and not the instrument panel. Instrument panel is reset separately using the two buttons above the scroll wheels. That's because on MCU2 the IP is run off the MCU where with MCU1 the IP has it's own processor.

You can confirm MCU vintage by going to the software screen and clicking on the "additional information" link. If it says Infotainment processor "NVIDIA Tegra" the car has MCU1. If it says something else like "Atom" it has the MCU2.

Thanks for the MCU info. My car still has MCU1 so my memory on what happened with the dual scroll wheel rebut was obviously wrong.

Today both screens were off when I checked on the car so yesterday must have been a fluke.