Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat control panel loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue, I’m glad I found this post, so I know what to do. I bought mudflaps from abstract ocean, and they sent a few extra pushpins that were longer than the small ones in the car (for a $50,000+ car you’d think they could splurge a few pennies for longer pins). I’m going to try that today. .

Reactions: Traffic_Cone
I have the same issue, I’m glad I found this post, so I know what to do....
Thanks, again. It was a pretty easy fix.
No need to call service, it's doable for anyone reasonably handy, and somewhat flexible.
If the small white pin fell out, or is hanging from the bottom piece, take it out. Sitting on the ground, reach your left arm (assuming driver's seat) around so you can find the small hole in the bottom of the plastic shield with your index finger. With your right arm, gently press shield against seat cushion, so it's in the proper place (it's obvious when it's at the correct location). The hole in the shield should line up with the hole in the seat frame.
Place plastic pin into both holes and push up. It should easily lock in place.

Had this same thing happen to the drivers seat of my June 2021 build Model Y. In addition to the pin hanging out the bottom of the plastic, I found a small crack in the plastic near the hole. I put in a mobile service call for 2 weeks. Has anyone had the plastic crack here in addition to the pin falling out?

I was able to push the pin back in, but after one slight downwards push/touch of the plastic panel, the pin popped back out and the plastic panel came loose again.

Attachments

• IMG-2500.jpg
    IMG-2500.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: Whitebeard
Had this same thing happen to the drivers seat of my June 2021 build Model Y. In addition to the pin hanging out the bottom of the plastic, I found a small crack in the plastic near the hole. I put in a mobile service call for 2 weeks. Has anyone had the plastic crack here in addition to the pin falling out?

I was able to push the pin back in, but after one slight downwards push/touch of the plastic panel, the pin popped back out and the plastic panel came loose again.
Five minutes and a zip tie is MUCH easier than dealing with service... IMHO. Just set the seat all the way back and up to make it easier

Reactions: TBrownTX
Five minutes and a zip tie is MUCH easier than dealing with service... IMHO. Just set the seat all the way back and up to make it easier
Yeah that's my plan, but I figure I'll let mobile service have a go at it first, perhaps install the self tapping screw from post 11 here. I'm mainly curious if others have the plastic crack that I have, or if they are just having the white pushpin fall out.

Reactions: doc333
Tesla mobile service visited today for the plastic fastener issue. He said this is the second one he's done on Model Y and it doesn't make sense to continue reinstalling the same white plastic fastener so he installed this self tapping screw in about 30 seconds and it's very secure. We discussed how Model 3 users may be more unlikely to experience the issue since the 3 is lower to the ground and the angle of exiting exerts less pressure on the edge of the seat and the plastic trim, where as the Model Y seat base is higher and thus more pressure on the edge/plastic. Hopefully this is the end of this one.

I forgot to ask him about the surface rust on the parts underneath both seats.

Attachments

• IMG-3298.jpg
    IMG-3298.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 194
Tesla mobile service visited today for the plastic fastener issue
Me too!
I think the problem comes in to play when the driver is tall and puts the seat all the way down and back. I noticed, after he fixed it, when I put the seat all the way down the cushion pushes against the plastic shield as it goes on the inside of it. It’s possible that going back-and-forth between the different seat positions could have stressed the plastic piece. Again, the best course of action is to replace it with a screw.

Reactions: suprax
Well..... This weekend, the area that screws to the seat (or pinned) broke off.... I have ordered the replacement part, but for the life of me, can't find an install guide for it..... The two switches must be removed and I am wondering if they just pull off....

Yeah that's my plan, but I figure I'll let mobile service have a go at it first, perhaps install the self tapping screw from post 11 here. I'm mainly curious if others have the plastic crack that I have, or if they are just having the white pushpin fall out.
Mine is also cracked in the same place on an August ‘21 build MY. Making a mobile service appointment and requesting installation of the self tapping screw rather than attaching with push pin. We’ll see what they say.

Mine is also cracked in the same place on an August ‘21 build MY. Making a mobile service appointment and requesting installation of the self tapping screw rather than attaching with push pin. We’ll see what they say.
As a follow up to this, mobile service replaced the plastic pop screw with a metal self tapping one. Has been very secure in the months since.

Reactions: TBrownTX