Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat control panel loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 M3 LR AWD driver side seat control panel keeps coming loose. They have installed the front end to the seat bottom with a tiny little push pin that dislodges easily just by getting in and out of the car. I have re inserted it once, it is difficult because it is under the seat and the seat supports are in the way so it is difficult to line things up and re-insert the pin. Mobile service has re-inserted it once, and it is now dislodged again. Mobile service guy said they changed from a screw to a push pin for the refresh and it doesn't seem to work better than the screw they had in previous designs. Anyone else having this issue? i am about ready to remove the seat and put a screw and plastic anchor in to see if that will be a more durable connection.
1629055416063.png

2021 M3 LR AWD driver side seat control panel keeps coming loose. They have installed the front end to the seat bottom with a tiny little push pin that dislodges easily just by getting in and out of the car. I have re inserted it once, it is difficult because it is under the seat and the seat supports are in the way so it is difficult to line things up and re-insert the pin. Mobile service has re-inserted it once, and it is now dislodged again. Mobile service guy said they changed from a screw to a push pin for the refresh and it doesn't seem to work better than the screw they had in previous designs. Anyone else having this issue? i am about ready to remove the seat and put a screw and plastic anchor in to see if that will be a more durable connection.
View attachment 696910

Not having been under the seat - can you get to the "other" side or is it a blind hole? If you can reach through to where it fastens how about a bolt with a nyloc nut.

I replaced the push pin once myself. I took me awhile because you have to do it by braille as you can't see under the seat and there's no room. I finally got it on the second try. 2 weeks later it was loose and I had mobile out for another issue and they re-inserted it. it's out again as just moderate pressure on the panel will press it out of the hole. I think to get a nut and bolt the seat may need to come out so i could see what i am doing. I though maybe a small plastic wall anchor the same size as the holes and a screw might be a firmer tighter fit. The screw and nyloc nut is a good idea though. The mobile service guy said there used to be a screw fastener holding the control panel in so reverting back to that is probably doable.

I replaced the push pin once myself. I took me awhile because you have to do it by braille as you can't see under the seat and there's no room. I finally got it on the second try. 2 weeks later it was loose and I had mobile out for another issue and they re-inserted it. it's out again as just moderate pressure on the panel will press it out of the hole. I think to get a nut and bolt the seat may need to come out so i could see what i am doing. I though maybe a small plastic wall anchor the same size as the holes and a screw might be a firmer tighter fit. The screw and nyloc nut is a good idea though. The mobile service guy said there used to be a screw fastener holding the control panel in so reverting back to that is probably doable.

Can you loop zip tie through the hole?

Reactions: TBrownTX and ZilWin
Mine's doing the same thing, so I put a zip tie on it. Then I decided this is a NEW car, I want it fixed without bailing wire. Mobile Service scheduled, but I'm not holding my breath based on the comments above.

There is an animation at this link.
Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: COVER - OUTER SIDE - DRIVER SEAT (REMOVE AND INSTALL)

View attachment 701000View attachment 701001
I hear ya about the new car thing. I replaced the pin 3 times and mobile service once. As soon as there is downward pressure on the panel, (like every time you get in or out of the seat) the pin pops. Mobile service told me the pre-refresh models had a screw there and he does not know why they changed it. I am sure it is a perceived cost reduction.
So far the ty wrap is holding up. I have also reset the 'Easy Entry' profile to set the seat down on the seat rail to ease some pressure. I thought about putting a screw in there but I figured if the plastic flange on the panel breaks and they find the screw they would not honor the warrantee.
Should we have to do this on a new car? NO! But until Tesla comes up with a more durable solution, we'll have to make do. Part of the 'minimalist' approach many give as an excuse for Tesla cheaping out on stuff.
Please let me know if mobile service does anything more than replace the pin for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toneus
Having the same issue with my Y. Took it to the service center and got it fixed once but it came out again today. It’s an extremely frustrating issue to have on a brand new car. If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, I would be interested. Might have to give zip ties a try.

I asked Mobile Service tech today about the plastic pin and a more durable fix from Tesla. He validated the fact that the pre refresh models had a screw holding the panel in rather than the plastic push pin they employ now. He recommended placing another service request in and reference that mobile service recommended putting the screw arrangement in. He also appreciated and agreed with I wanted Tesla to do it as a sanctioned and documented fix in case of future issues.

View attachment 696910
Honestly, I wouldn't attempt to fix it. may cause more damage else and may not cover under warranty. just submit a ticket and mobile tech will come and repair for you. These folks are great will fix any job minor or major on the spot

View attachment 696910
I have the exact same issue, who decided a tiny plastic push rivet would hold that together . I would have to call mobile service for this

Reactions: Traffic_Cone