TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver seat crushes my wife against the steering wheel on easy entry

Discussion in 'Model X' started by akhafagi, Jul 15, 2018.

1. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

We have three drivers’ profiles on my wife’s model X, hers, mine and easy entry. The other day, she was driving and when she stopped, easy entry kicked in but instead of its programmed settings, it moved forward all the way and the back move forward crushing her against the steering wheel. We were able to push it back. When we tried to switch to other profiles, they also did the same thing. I restarted the screen but the problem persisted. We had to reset the three profiles. When we called roadside assistance, we were advised to delete and recreate the profiles. This answer was unsatisfactory. I feel that Tesla technical assistance folks deal with the car’s computer’s glitches like a laptop glitch. For us, those glitches could cost lives. We deserve better answers.

• Disagree x 6
    • Informative x 3
  2. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

What firmware are you on? I’ve had that happen intermittently over the last 2 years, but only on about 1 out of 4 firmware versions (I.e. it’ll happen with one firmware then disappear for the next few, and then come back). In my case, parking the car would make the seat go into Shaq mode (driver seat slides all the way back as though to accommodate Shaquille O’Neil). We don’t and have never used Easy Entry. I’m currently on 2018.21 and haven’t experience the issue with this firmware though. I think it did have that problem with 2018.18 or .16 if I recall.

3. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

2018.24.1. This never happened before.

4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

I mean the MCU is basically a computer....

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

.....another troll/clickbait titled post :eek:....

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I'm sure your wife was shocked, but a bit of fear is healthy in this over-sanitised world.
    Laughter is also healthy, so if you have a video please post it...

• Funny x 1
  7. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Is your Model X an early 2016 version or something newer?

8. Raechris

Raechris Member

Has happened on my MS 12-17 several times, different firmware front and back.

9. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Lol. Right up there with Model S door handle tried to eat my hand (which is actually true). ;)

• Love x 1
  10. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Sorry to hear this I can image it would be quite scary to experience!!

Also my sadistic side is chuckling inside at the thought of the demonic car trying to crush someone whilst they shout “the power of Christ compels you” in some Austin powers spoof

Joking aside I hope she’s ok. :)

• Love x 1
  11. Eriamjh1138

Eriamjh1138 Member

Manual movement didn’t override the action? It didn’t abort the easy entry recall?

12. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Wonder if more than one fob in the car? You said three profiles. We’ve seen this also with multi setups... of course, could just be an aberration on the one profile.

I’ve had several issues fixed (like Homelink) by deleting all profiles or making a new one.

13. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

True, so are many devices we use in surgery. There are certain computers that must have fail safe behavior and we should be assured that is the case.

14. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

nope, it was a surprise

15. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

Yes it is an early version. I believe it was immediately before AP2

16. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

she is. It happened with us a couple of times after that until we reset the profiles. You wonder if the driver seat will mice while driving or something

17. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

Do you mean manually reaching for the seat controllers? Yes, that aborts the action as well as hitting stop on the screen. Basically all profiles were modified that the seats go all the way to front.

18. akhafagi

akhafagi Member

We had the model S fob in the car but the wasn't another model fob. Also nine of the profiles are programmed to move the seat that far forward. Last, the screen was showing it was the easy entry at the time.

19. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Hasn't happened after resetting driver profiles? I may try the same if it happens on mine again.

• Like x 1
  20. sub

sub Active Member

I had this happen a few times in our 12/17 X when I had easy entry activated. I turned off easy entry and problem solved, not necessary for our family as we are all average size anyways.