Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat crushes my wife against the steering wheel on easy entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean manually reaching for the seat controllers? Yes, that aborts the action as well as hitting stop on the screen. Basically all profiles were modified that the seats go all the way to front.
Whew! I thought that it was out of control and she was actually pinned. It was probably more of a surprise, than a critical safety issue.

Unfortunately, there must be some condition that is causing the controller to reset the default to this position. Report it to Tesla. For one, it should default to an aft/rearward/safe position. Depending on how Tesla measures/determines seat position (absolute or relative position based on the last known position), it could lead to problems like this.

As long as manual movement still operates and interrupts, then at least everyone is safe.

Let us know what happens, if anything. Reset and reprogram in the meantime and be aware for next time.

I've had this happen to me WHILE I WAS DRIVING!

Background - I use two profiles for myself, one for normal around town driving, and another one called "AP" for when I'm cruising on the freeway with autopilot on. Once I get on the freeway and activate autopilot I manually change to the "AP" profile. All this profile is supposed to do is to move the steering wheel slightly closer to my body so that it's a more relaxed hold while keeping my elbows on armrest/center-console. The "AP" profile and my normal profile have zero difference in any of the seat positions, so the seat does not move at all.

However, when this glitch occurred it started angling my seat forward, crushing me into the steering wheel. It was terrifying for this to be happening while I'm driving 75mph on the freeway with autopilot on.

Like others said, the only solution was to delete ALL the profiles and start over again. I pray this glitch never ever happens again.

Reactions: akhafagi
What firmware are you on? I’ve had that happen intermittently over the last 2 years, but only on about 1 out of 4 firmware versions (I.e. it’ll happen with one firmware then disappear for the next few, and then come back). In my case, parking the car would make the seat go into Shaq mode (driver seat slides all the way back as though to accommodate Shaquille O’Neil). We don’t and have never used Easy Entry. I’m currently on 2018.21 and haven’t experience the issue with this firmware though. I think it did have that problem with 2018.18 or .16 if I recall.

It can't just be a simple firmware issue though as I and presumably many others have never experienced this problem on any firmware. Maybe it's just coincidence and the firmware is a red herring in what is really a random intermittent fault with your car?

Reactions: akhafagi and P85_DA
It can't just be a simple firmware issue though as I and presumably many others have never experienced this problem on any firmware. Maybe it's just coincidence and the firmware is a red herring in what is really a random intermittent fault with your car?

Might be a variety of causes, but for me, it’s definitely firmware related or exacerbated at least. There are firmwares where the seat moves on its own every day (consistent enough that I took videos and sent to the service center), and firmwares where the seat never moves on its own (a few months).

we we're lucky it happened on park. For others it took place while driving which makes it a safety issue.
I had this same glitch about 2 months ago. At the time, I thought it was due to me sitting in the car for a long time earlier in the day to where the car turned off on me while I was in the drivers seat. I assumed that since the car turned off without doing the easy entry/exit, it threw a bug into the system. When mine ended up glitching on me, luckily I was in park (I can't remember if it was when I first got in the car or was about to get out of the car). The seat back just starting leaning more and more towards the steering wheel. It definitely caught me off guard. I ended up deleting my profiles and removing Easy Entry. Although, I do miss the feature so I'll probably try turning it back on now. Hopefully Tesla has discovered the source of the bug and fixed it since I obviously wasn't the only one this happened to.

This has happened to me twice upon entering my 09/2019 MX. I have my profile and easy entry profile. When the crush driver bug happens it moves the seat back forward in both profiles and saves them. Thankfully it has only happened when I first get in the car and hit the brake pedal, not while driving. I’ll probably try deleting both profiles and just reprogramming mine only.

Happened to me 2 days ago. Back still hurts and chest is painful. Until I saw this post I was wondering am I the only one...Seems like a critical safety issue. Need further investigating.
I have shared a profile between my mother's MY and my MY.... every time I get in her car it "syncs" to my settings and moves the seat forward and tilts forward. I've never been in the seat when it's doing it. I have to reach over and hand select my profile from the screen. Sure wish there was a fix for this. I thought I was the only one.