Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Do you have same issue?

• Yes

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 73.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think I've read through this whole topic, but haven't seen textile seats mentioned. We have those in our X and I've not felt "the bar". Not sure if textile / leather seats are made different.

IMG_0304.jpg

I actually asked to Tesla to let me try any other generation of the seat or any other kind like with ventilation or textile.

Guess what, they again Refused to do so.

They said they will not install anything else other then my exact seat, since it will reduce the value of my car (leased) and they don't want to lose money.
Again shows how much Tesla really "care" about the customer (that is actually in pain, every single day) :((((

Shame

I don't feel the bar yet, but I can confirm that the back of the seat is uncomfortably low even after adjusting it as far up as I can, because like all the other automakers, they forgot that people only put weight on the back part, which means that the front part never gets compressed and the back part stays that way. Every car I've ever owned has eventually gotten to the point of annoying my legs by pressing up too much, but most cars have taken a few years, and I've only owned my Model X for ten months. Disappointing engineering, to say the least.

I really don't understand why something this simple is (apparently) so hard to get right....

I actually asked to Tesla to let me try any other generation of the seat or any other kind like with ventilation or textile.

Guess what, they again Refused to do so.

They said they will not install anything else other then my exact seat, since it will reduce the value of my car (leased) and they don't want to lose money.
Again shows how much Tesla really "care" about the customer (that is actually in pain, every single day) :((((

Shame
I wonder what the 'value' is when you turn it in, a buyer takes it for a test drive and complains that it is painful to sit in.

but then again they may treat the new buyer like they have treated you: they will promise to make it right just to get the car
off the lot, then say tough poo you own it!

Reactions: bell2041
So @hoschilo trick did help with "not feeling the metal bar" but now I can feel the sticks.
I spent 2 hours yesterday trying different sizes and material of sticks and unfortunately, I can feel them all :(

Today I decided enough is enough and brought the car to an Auto Upholstering professional.
After reviewing the seat he was amazed how little of spring on the bottom they put (see images below), the number of springs is not enough to support my weight, that is why my bottom falls down and I start to feel the support metal bar.
View attachment 340058
He said it's a pretty simple thing to fix by adding more springs and a bit more foam that would cost me around $150-200.

But last time, I spoke with Tesla about my seat issue, they said that there is nothing more they can do, and they WILL NOT take the car back, nor they WILL NOT approve any custom upholstering work on a seat.

What are your thoughts on that? What can I do?

Hi @bell2041

So I got curious after viewing your photo and it seem like its taken from the back of the seat. The back of my seat is covered up and I didn't want to take anything apart so I took a few pictures from the front. I try pressing down on the area where you said you can feel the bar I don't feel any bars. I'm just trying to see if our seats are made different.

Is that the bar you are feeling because I can't tell from your photo.

IMG-9160_2.jpg

@ckwong, yes that is the damn bar :(
Your picture is taken from the front that is why you don't see the open space with springs. Raise it up all the way up and look from the back seat, there is where my picture was taken from.

If you want to feel what I feel, You can put your knee on the seat, you will feel that horrible pain when your bone is touching the bar, that is precisely what I fell when I seat down.

tesla seat knee.jpeg

Tesla used to buy from Recaro. Our next gen seats are pretty good. Then they designed in house to maximize profits. That's their premium vegan stuff. I guess it was fortunate I didn't get the newest supposedly more advanced seats when I ordered. I have real leather too. I've read that premium and next gen are interchangable. Maybe get one from eBay and have Tesla swap your current one and then swap back before lease turn in.

After reading bunch of comments I'm still trying to come up with any solution to fix the painful seat issue, and another thing I tried is cutting and putting together pieces of foam to relieve the pain at least a bit, here is what I came up with

tesla_fix.jpg

tesla_fix2.jpg

and thankfully It did help with the pain, but this is so amateur and primitive job that I did, that is very uncomfortable, sloppy and it's just making me so sick in my stomach that I have to drive like that on a Brand New car. I want to throw up every time I see that peace of foam and seat on it

What is even more devastating, that the Tesla service can see that my seat is much worse then the new seat after just 1 week of use, and they're refusing to do anything, that is just heartbreaking.
And All they have to do is to contact an upholstery shop and make them fix the seat for just $150-$200.
I was so wrong about Tesla

p.s. I tried to send a request for a lemon law, but got rejected since apparently it's the design flaw and design flaws are not covered under lemon law. Apparently there is no law against making crappy cars (per my attorney)

devastating :(

I'm 6'2", 210lb as well.

I'm very doomed at this point. Not idea what to do.

On the plus side you appear to have lost 10 lbs since the start of the thread. I keep looking for this bar in my seat (2018 Model X, premium white synthetic leather seats) but can never feel it. I'm 6'1" 185 lbs so maybe that's a factor? Or maybe not all seats are the same? The seats are on the firm side (which I prefer) and perhaps a little short on the thighs, but otherwise pretty comfortable. I did mess around with the settings a lot before I was totally happy though.

@bell2041 not sure if you tried this or not but have you tried a different SC? I go to the one in Paramus and those guys are fantastic to work with! I've had a few problems with things around the car within the first few months and they have always been very accommodating and I did have an issue with a seat (behind driver) that kept making squeaking sound every time I make a turn and they couldn't fix it and replaced the seat for me.

I know Paramus is a bit far from you but if that helps it might be worth the trip.

When Tesla said that your warranty would be voided were they talking about the driver seat only or the whole car? BTW they will have to show that the modification caused the need for repair. See: Does Your Warranty Cover Modifications?

I would imagine they would be concerned about the integral seat airbags in the MX. But I can't see how they could invalidate the entire vehicle warranty, only issues directly related to the seat modification. But then again Porsche do invalidate their whole warranty (at least they do in the UK) if you modify anything, related or not to the claim.

Now 4 month later, new issue has arrived. Now the seat is rocking like it got loose and not bolted down. Oh my god!! What is wrong with this car????

I see seat rocking in Tesla is also common
Rocking Seats

I am so pissed that I did not see all those problem when I was debating ether to get Tesla or not, what a mistake :(

p.s. by the way Tesla is stalling with 2nd seat replacement. 1.5 month later they still can't find it