TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bell2041, Jul 30, 2018.

?

Do you have same issue?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. moulari

moulari Member

Was at the SC today cause my air suspension failed and the car was on the ground - I asked why they can't just order the assembly under the seat - I was told it is not possible and they have to order a seat that comes with said assembly.

2. bell2041

bell2041 Member

For those who will be looking at the post with same issue, here is my 2nd try to fix an issue, using foam and modified seat cushion

That was something that felt very rational, and something that needs to happen. So I cut a foam where the bar is pushing so it'll go into that empty space.

Now when you just sit down, I almost cried as I did not feel the bar at all, and it was pretty comfy, but after 5 minutes of driving the damn bar is back. It's definitely better than without that foam, but it's still painful on every regen/braking (since I guess the body is pushing on that bar pretty hard)

Anybody has any thoughts on what else I can try?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

3. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

mmmmm.......have to say that ^ is not a solution I could live with aesthetically speaking.

In your shoes (or bum) I think I might decide this car is not really working for me. I have no doubt your problem is very real indeed, but I can't honestly notice this metal bar in our front seats. I'm just wondering how your bum and legs can be so different? The only thing I would say is that I played around with the seat settings a lot more in this car than any other I've owned to get perfectly comfortable and for whatever reason I find it more comfortable wearing shorts than jeans in this particular seat. But overall I find the Model X front seats very comfortable. They are certainly on the firm side, but that's my personal preference anyway.

Sorry I'm rambling now and can't really offer any solution here, other than a different car!

• Like x 1
  4. ek993

ek993 Member

5. bell2041

bell2041 Member

Oh yeah, I want through up when I see it and have to seat on that. That is just disgusting but I need to come up with something to ease up the pain at least a bit, so depressed :(

6. bell2041

bell2041 Member

That is actually a very good idea, thank you, since I'm using the only foam I could find which is foam for insolating air conditioner :(

7. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

I'm a little chubby and have felt this bar as well, it is annoying.

Have you tried placing the foam between the bar and the seat underneath?, that might work.

8. ek993

ek993 Member

It’s worth doing some research first - make sure you choose a good quality one. High density foams start at 1.8lbs per cubic foot.

9. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I fully understand! I presume you've tried every seat setting under the sun too. I have my seat base tilted quite far up at the front, which helps to keep my backside against the seat back. Yours looks pretty flat in the photo.

10. GWord

GWord Member

#90 GWord, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    I wonder if wedging a slab of memory foam under the seat between the bar / springs and the factory padding would work better. I suspect you would have to unbolt the seat to gain access enough to do that. Also, just a hypothesis, but I would think you would want the additional padding thicker where the bar is not located. I.e. don't exaggerate the bar with a bunch of extra layers of foam. Build up the seat pan with disproportionately more foam so that it is closer in matching the height and rigidity to the less forgiving bar. I suspect the real problem is that, due to insufficient springing, the seat pan sags under one's weight while the bar does not. And lastly, you can pull it out if you ever need warranty work on your seat.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. bell2041

bell2041 Member

Losing any hope in Tesla.

I showed them that the seat is rocking now and they said it's normal wear and tear. What??? Am I crazy or they are just gone completely insane? The tech guy tried the seat, did feel the rocking and said that this is normal to happen for heavy drivers after a certain amount of time.

I asked to write that in the work order what they told me and here is what they write

Service Invoice for Vehicle gmail com   Gmail.png

12. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

interesting. I just asked about this at my SC and they said their is a service bulletin for a fix of this issue.

13. bell2041

bell2041 Member

@SpudLime How did they fix it? What is the procedure?

14. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

I did not get the details. I remember another thread saying that there were bushing of some kind that they can add to fix the issue.

15. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Member

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has a problem with the seat cushion. I have tried every position adjustment possible and had my seat replaced by the service center. No relief.

I believe that my problem is less about the bar being what/where it is and more about the rear springs to the rear of the bar. These springs are inadequate, and too few to support my ass ( sorry to those offended but it perfectly describes my problem). The inadequate springs allow my bottom to sink lower than it should, thereby allowing the bar to come into play.

I do agree that had I known of the problem I would not have purchased this outstanding car. Tesla's handling of this is awful and not responsive to a serious defect, that may only affect a few people but is bad regardless. I believe that adding to or increasing the padding would solve the problem but Tesla digging their heels in and not trying to help the customer is not the answer.

• Like x 1
  16. bell2041

bell2041 Member

17. ilon-a

ilon-a New Member

Just created an account here to share the mystery of uncomfortable seat in Tesla

After getting no help from Tesla for 6 month I went to Uphostery Shop and asked for their help.

Here is what I can tell you. Tesla workers who designed the seat should be fired for such a bad design. The cause of the pain you are guys having is a direct result from a bad frame seat design. It should be a crime to make people suffer like that

here is the Tesla frame. Sorry but in that picture the depth is not very visible, but there is deepening hole where the springs are, that is why bigger people just sink into that hole and the thighs/butt are starting to push hard against that frame part that causing the pain
    tesla_seat.png

And this is how any other normal seat deigned (the guy in the shop was kind enough to show me), almost flat design, so there is no chance to sink down, because the frame is flat
    none_tesla_seat.jpeg

Here is the original foam
    tesla_seat_foam.jpeg tesla_seat_foam2.jpeg

The upholstery shop needed to add 1.5 inch foam in order to even up the bottom cushion so the butt will not sink down.

tesla_seat_new.jpeg

tesla_seat_new_install.jpeg

No more pain! but Tesla seriously needs to learn some basics of seat making and take the responsibility for what they are done and offer that fix to people who are in pain

here is the shop I used (costed me $200 +tax), very nice people
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/mccoys-upholstery-woodside

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I guess Tesla simply didn't cater for the larger person when designing their seats, which is a bit ironic considering it's an American company!

19. hoschilo

hoschilo Member

Thank you for sharing this. This helps a lot to understand the issue and hopefully Tesla seat designers will learn something from this. It looks like the upholstery shop did the modification in place right? Do you know how they could remove the vegan leather cover? Is the cover just imposed over the structure or did they had to cut some sews? After the modification can you see a bulge on the seat where they added the foam?

• Like x 2
  20. chdavis

chdavis Member

THANK YOU for posting this