Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Do you have same issue?

• Yes

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 73.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who will be looking at the post with same issue, here is my 2nd try to fix an issue, using foam and modified seat cushion

That was something that felt very rational, and something that needs to happen. So I cut a foam where the bar is pushing so it'll go into that empty space.

Now when you just sit down, I almost cried as I did not feel the bar at all, and it was pretty comfy, but after 5 minutes of driving the damn bar is back. It's definitely better than without that foam, but it's still painful on every regen/braking (since I guess the body is pushing on that bar pretty hard)

Anybody has any thoughts on what else I can try?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

mmmmm.......have to say that ^ is not a solution I could live with aesthetically speaking.

In your shoes (or bum) I think I might decide this car is not really working for me. I have no doubt your problem is very real indeed, but I can't honestly notice this metal bar in our front seats. I'm just wondering how your bum and legs can be so different? The only thing I would say is that I played around with the seat settings a lot more in this car than any other I've owned to get perfectly comfortable and for whatever reason I find it more comfortable wearing shorts than jeans in this particular seat. But overall I find the Model X front seats very comfortable. They are certainly on the firm side, but that's my personal preference anyway.

Sorry I'm rambling now and can't really offer any solution here, other than a different car!

Reactions: bell2041
Oh yeah, I want through up when I see it and have to seat on that. That is just disgusting but I need to come up with something to ease up the pain at least a bit, so depressed :(

I fully understand! I presume you've tried every seat setting under the sun too. I have my seat base tilted quite far up at the front, which helps to keep my backside against the seat back. Yours looks pretty flat in the photo.

I wonder if wedging a slab of memory foam under the seat between the bar / springs and the factory padding would work better. I suspect you would have to unbolt the seat to gain access enough to do that. Also, just a hypothesis, but I would think you would want the additional padding thicker where the bar is not located. I.e. don't exaggerate the bar with a bunch of extra layers of foam. Build up the seat pan with disproportionately more foam so that it is closer in matching the height and rigidity to the less forgiving bar. I suspect the real problem is that, due to insufficient springing, the seat pan sags under one's weight while the bar does not. And lastly, you can pull it out if you ever need warranty work on your seat.

Last edited:
Losing any hope in Tesla.

I showed them that the seat is rocking now and they said it's normal wear and tear. What??? Am I crazy or they are just gone completely insane? The tech guy tried the seat, did feel the rocking and said that this is normal to happen for heavy drivers after a certain amount of time.

I asked to write that in the work order what they told me and here is what they write

Service Invoice for Vehicle gmail com   Gmail.png

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has a problem with the seat cushion. I have tried every position adjustment possible and had my seat replaced by the service center. No relief.

I believe that my problem is less about the bar being what/where it is and more about the rear springs to the rear of the bar. These springs are inadequate, and too few to support my ass ( sorry to those offended but it perfectly describes my problem). The inadequate springs allow my bottom to sink lower than it should, thereby allowing the bar to come into play.

I do agree that had I known of the problem I would not have purchased this outstanding car. Tesla's handling of this is awful and not responsive to a serious defect, that may only affect a few people but is bad regardless. I believe that adding to or increasing the padding would solve the problem but Tesla digging their heels in and not trying to help the customer is not the answer.

Reactions: bell2041
Just created an account here to share the mystery of uncomfortable seat in Tesla

After getting no help from Tesla for 6 month I went to Uphostery Shop and asked for their help.

Here is what I can tell you. Tesla workers who designed the seat should be fired for such a bad design. The cause of the pain you are guys having is a direct result from a bad frame seat design. It should be a crime to make people suffer like that

here is the Tesla frame. Sorry but in that picture the depth is not very visible, but there is deepening hole where the springs are, that is why bigger people just sink into that hole and the thighs/butt are starting to push hard against that frame part that causing the pain
tesla_seat.png

And this is how any other normal seat deigned (the guy in the shop was kind enough to show me), almost flat design, so there is no chance to sink down, because the frame is flat
none_tesla_seat.jpeg

Here is the original foam
tesla_seat_foam.jpeg tesla_seat_foam2.jpeg

The upholstery shop needed to add 1.5 inch foam in order to even up the bottom cushion so the butt will not sink down.

tesla_seat_new.jpeg

tesla_seat_new_install.jpeg

No more pain! but Tesla seriously needs to learn some basics of seat making and take the responsibility for what they are done and offer that fix to people who are in pain

here is the shop I used (costed me $200 +tax), very nice people
https://www.yelp.com/biz/mccoys-upholstery-woodside

Just created an account here to share the mystery of uncomfortable seat in Tesla

After getting no help from Tesla for 6 month I went to Uphostery Shop and asked for their help.

Here is what I can tell you. Tesla workers who designed the seat should be fired for such a bad design. The cause of the pain you are guys having is a direct result from a bad frame seat design. It should be a crime to make people suffer like that

here is the Tesla frame. Sorry but in that picture the depth is not very visible, but there is deepening hole where the springs are, that is why bigger people just sink into that hole and the thighs/butt are starting to push hard against that frame part that causing the pain
View attachment 362516

And this is how any other normal seat deigned (the guy in the shop was kind enough to show me), almost flat design, so there is no chance to sink down, because the frame is flat
View attachment 362517

View attachment 362522 View attachment 362523

The upholstery shop needed to add 1.5 inch foam in order to even up the bottom cushion so the butt will not sink down.

View attachment 362518

View attachment 362519

No more pain! but Tesla seriously needs to learn some basics of seat making and take the responsibility for what they are done and offer that fix to people who are in pain

McCoys Upholstery - Woodside - Woodside, NY

Thank you for sharing this. This helps a lot to understand the issue and hopefully Tesla seat designers will learn something from this. It looks like the upholstery shop did the modification in place right? Do you know how they could remove the vegan leather cover? Is the cover just imposed over the structure or did they had to cut some sews? After the modification can you see a bulge on the seat where they added the foam?

Reactions: ckwong and chdavis

View attachment 362516

View attachment 362517

View attachment 362522 View attachment 362523

View attachment 362518

View attachment 362519

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mccoys-upholstery-woodside

THANK YOU for posting this