Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seat Not Returning to Saved Position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I get in my model 3 I have to slightly adjust the seat angle forward which I then save to my profile. However when I return to the vehicle and the seat moves from easy entry back into the 'saved' position I find the angle hasn't returned as upright as I like and I have to tweak it forward again...... I literally have to do this every time I get in the car so I know its not just in my mind as I'd be folded in half by now! Just wondering has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Alistairuk
I’ve noticed mine returns to a slightly different position each time - it’s only started doing this recently (like last few weeks at most a month or two).

It’s been fine since September 2020 until it started doing it. it’s slightly (at most a few cm to far back) - I adjust it back every time and each time I get back in I need to adjust it again. (Yes I am hitting save - I’ve even tried making a larger adjustment and saving it but seems to do the same)

I assumed it was a random software issue that’s caused it and it’ll eventually be fixed in another update.

Glad I’m not only one who’s noticed it :)

Reactions: bctomuk
Same here, though I've had the problem for months and like others, after the seat adjusted it was always a little bit out (normally seat height or recline would vary a little from what was saved.

Recently however (last week or two ?) - it's just way out to the point I can't drive without manually adjusting it.
The forward/backward adjustment seems fine, but then assumes I want to go to sleep and reclines the backrest back to degree that's nuts.

I'm hoping it's a temporary thing as a result of recent 2021.12.X or 2021.24.X releases :( and not related to the wiring harness in the seat that got replaced a few months ago.

So I have a "easy entry" profile set which raises the wheel, scoots the chair back and tilts back a little. My driver profile is the only other thing saved in the car and my phone is paired. About 60% of the time I get in the car, hit the brake, and everything moves to where it should be. Another 30% of the time everything moves, I back out of the garage, and then realize that my seat hasn't tilted all the way back upward and I hit my profile name again and it moves to the correct position. The last 10% it will not return to the proper tilt at all and I have to manually trigger the tilt with the switch on the side of the seat and re-save the profile.

I have had the same problem for a year. I mean I used to keep the seat back further, but now I decided I want it more forward. So I move it forward, hit save and it stays there until I get back in the car again -- back to the same old angle.

I’ve been struggling with this issue since we got the car. When moving from Easy Entry to my profile, the seat back ends up too reclined. If I tap the wife’s profile then mine again it goes to the correct position. The wife has the same issue. There’s clearly a glitch when setting the seat position from Easy Entry. There’s various references to this issue on the internet. It’s blatantly a software issue, which I’m surprised hasn’t been identified by Tesla, despite this being around for some time. I’ve ended up setting a service appointment. The technician called up to discuss the issue, and he didn’t seem to be aware of it, so I’m booked in to try a “seat calibration,” which is clearly not going to fix the problem. I would suggest that everyone who has this issue sets up a service appointment, as otherwise Tesla will likely continue to pretend it doesn’t exist.

+1. I have the same issue. Sometimes all I have to do is sit in the driver's seat and push my foot on the brake and it will readjust to my saved profile. Other times it doesn't work.

Sometimes the screen says it's in my saved profile but if I go into settings and reselect my profile it will always correct itself. Why do I even have to make this change? It should go to my saved settings by default.

My Model X from 2013 started to have the seat not move forward / backward when the driver profile was selected or when we get in the car. The tilt and mirrors worked with the settings. The seat would move forward / backward manually. The Model X software is still the 2021.24.28 as I guess they do not push me new updates even though I paid for FSD when I got the car and had the 2.0 hardware (and later the free FSD computer put in).

2017 model X, hardware 2.0 w/ FSD ... but no FSD BETA allowed, has the same no forward / backward motion upon profile changes. It works manually (though on two occasions it would not move forward / backward manually). We fixed the manual issue by tapping the motor lightly. The profile issue still does not work. We had out MCU recall service visit back in 2021 that is when the profile issued started (and they also move us to the 2021.24.28 software version which we were stuck on until just recently they pushed us the V11 software. The profile issue is still not working. I suspect the software or MCU repair caused this.