Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat opens on its own when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I get notification in an hour or so that my drivers door is open. It happens after I park the car and come home. What could be done to fix it? I submitted service ticket but they can only help me in 4 days... it’s ridiculous and not secure to have the door open all the time when I go to the store or park it in my condo. Thank you

So as you leave it, the door is closed, but later it re-opens? Is there any chance the key is within range? Is this happening every time or sometimes? Have you tried turning off the auto door option?

Early in my ownership experience I had a number of instances of returning to my car and finding the drivers door open. I did not and still fo not know for sure what happened. But I constructed a rigid cardboard holder for my key fob and it has never happened since. I’m suspicious the fob was inadvertently getting pressed as I left the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
We recently spilled water on the keyfob. When we got back to the car, it cause the left rear door to go up and down non-stop for a while. Could not drive the car until it sort of dried, then we figured it out.

I have also had instances when one of the fobs drops under the seats and get lost. This keeps the car unlocked.

Early in my ownership experience I had a number of instances of returning to my car and finding the drivers door open. I did not and still fo not know for sure what happened.
Actually, there was a firmware bug in late 2017 and/or early 2018 where the door would close and then re-open as (or after) you walked away. It was eventually resolved by a firmware update. There may even be an old thread around here about the issue from that timeframe. I suspect OP is experiencing something different, but I have since disabled passive entry so I likely wouldn't be affected if a regression brought this bug back since my doors would remain locked and therefore not auto open.

• Informative
Reactions: Bigriver