Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seat Options (Add-Ons) for Back Pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYLR seat is causing major problems with my upper and lower back. I'm still trying to find something that will work, in addition to trying various lumbar support settings. The car is becoming quite uncomfortable to drive and I'm already thinking of selling it for this and other issues, despite everything I've tried.

Here's what I've tried so far and in various positions. I just can't find something that works for me. I should have rented a MY before completing my purchase, ugh.

Memory Foam Car Lumbar Pillow for Back Support Cooling

Lumbar Support (2 Pack) with Breathable Mesh, Suit for Car

The passenger seat seems fine as-is and it doesn't have the lumbar support, but I don't know for sure as I haven't sat in the passenger seat for an hour+.

Thanks for any suggestions.

we all have different backs but I found I had to back off the lumbar adjustment nearly all the way and then I was fine. When I had the lumbar set the way I have in other cars I got terrible back pain every time I drove the car…

Thanks! I will keep experimenting. Since the passenger seat doesn't have it and seems more comfortable in that seat, I will try backing it off all the way on the driver side as well. However, I should read the manual as I haven't figured out what each direction does with the lumbar support.

My MYLR seat is causing major problems with my upper and lower back. I'm still trying to find something that will work, in addition to trying various lumbar support settings. The car is becoming quite uncomfortable to drive and I'm already thinking of selling it for this and other issues, despite everything I've tried.

Here's what I've tried so far and in various positions. I just can't find something that works for me. I should have rented a MY before completing my purchase, ugh.

Memory Foam Car Lumbar Pillow for Back Support Cooling

Lumbar Support (2 Pack) with Breathable Mesh, Suit for Car

The passenger seat seems fine as-is and it doesn't have the lumbar support, but I don't know for sure as I haven't sat in the passenger seat for an hour+.

Thanks for any suggestions.

also, did you leave the seat leather unhooked after?

Model S Plaid. New owner and seats are absolutely killing me.

I know for sure that I have a herniated disc, but I've had that for a while and never experienced any pain in any of the other cars I've driven, even for a really long distances. I just got a Plaid, and after just one day of doing some light errands I have excruciating pain in my right butt cheek. Like many other posters, I've also speculated that it has to do with the narrowness of the seat at the back, and especially the the fact that the side bolster pushing against my glutes and hips and keep those muscles tight/compressed the whole time, combined with the fact that I'm also keeping my leg poised and ready to accelerator break, which is a lot of tension. If tension could be relieved on the butt I would be fine, for whatever reason that doesn't seem possible here.

I've tried every conceivable position, experimented with all of the lumbar options, and nothing. It's just pain, pain, pain.

Yes, I have a herniated disc, but so do bajillions of other people (many of them don't even know it) who don't experience pain in their cars. More importantly, as I just stated, I haven't experienced this feeling with any other cars, including the one I was driving literally days before I got this car. Advice about physical health is all well and good, but it seems pretty clear that the Tesla seat is the issue here.

Note: I'm saying that the Tesla seat is the issue for me, not for you. Everyone is built differently, so obviously plenty of people will find the seats to be fine. But there seems to be a large number of people who are experiencing issues with the seat, and I'm wondering why that is.

For example, I would assume that Tesla would just model their seats off other popular seats. Sure, Tesla isn't known for high luxury, but they're not dumb either. Obviously they're going to try to build a seat according to best practices. And having examined the seats of Mercedes, BMW, etc., I see that those seats are often built in a very similar way to the seats in my Model S Plaid. I don't know enough about seat construction to know what other variables that could be, but all I know is this seat is seriously painful in just about every position. So I don't think it's about positioning so much as it is about the basic shape of the seat.

Anyone have any idea how the seats have changed, if at all, for the Model S Plaid versus previous models? Has anyone else figure out a solution to this godawful problem?

Reactions: Falcon73
I removed my cushion for now and am trying with zero lumbar, I think.

The lumbar support seems to have 4 positions but only the rear most reduces any settings. The manual was of no help.

The bottom front and top buttons appear to only increase support for the lower, a little bit higher and higher still. There are a lot of possibilities but I don't know how I can test it all without any feedback in how it's set. Like an indicator.

Also it doesn't seem to save lumbar support settings to the driver profile?

I have scoliosis and an old lower back injury that doesn't help. I am used to minor pain in my back, lower and upper, but this has been more uncomfortable than I want to accept.

When it's turning into, Oh man, do I have to drive it again? It's turning into an unpleasant vehicle to drive and a very expensive one at that.

The lumbar support seems to have 4 positions but only the rear most reduces any settings. The manual was of no help.
Sadly, lumbar settings are not saved with profiles. As far as adjustment, the lumbar is made up of two bladders, and the switch does as follows:

up - inflates upper bladder
down - inflates lower bladder
forward - inflates both bladders
back - deflates both bladders

I've found inflating both, then using up and down for more fine tuned adjustment worked well for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MY-Y and Falcon73
Well this continues to be a problem. Drove it for about 2 hours yesterday and don't want this to continue.

So I'm investigating selling it. CarMax offered $63k so far they are the first offer.

Big bummer. You could also try going to an upholsterer and getting the chair completely customized. With the amount of money you'll lose on the sale, it might be the better option in the event you like the car in every other way.

The back brace is helping. Not just while driving but in general. My posture could certainly use some improvements. I will do more testing.

However, one thing I noticed is the driver seat headrest appears tilted forward, more than the passenger side. See the attached pic and LMK how it looks. There appears to be no stock adjustments for the head rest, but I am researching other options. I've seen that it can be removed.
IMG_20211215_205525.jpg

I had 2 lumbar discs fused this summer and took delivery of my MYLR in November. I adjusted the lumbar to what I thought would best support my still delicate spine. I could not get comfortable. I found the best lumbar support for me is no lumbar support. It seems to me the stiffness of the bladder material itself is the issue.

That said, the seat itself is a superior seat. Great thigh support. My hamstrings and upper back are happy.

I'm going to search out a soft cushion to place over my L2-4.

I had 2 lumbar discs fused this summer and took delivery of my MYLR in November. I adjusted the lumbar to what I thought would best support my still delicate spine. I could not get comfortable. I found the best lumbar support for me is no lumbar support. It seems to me the stiffness of the bladder material itself is the issue.

That said, the seat itself is a superior seat. Great thigh support. My hamstrings and upper back are happy.

I'm going to search out a soft cushion to place over my L2-4.

Same here. I have lower back issues but the lumbar support in the car didn't really affect those either way. Main issue for me seems to be pressure on the nerve in my leg and butt.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
I removed the lumbar support bladder in my Model Y last night and the seat is much more comfortable.

Hope this helps someone. Feels exactly like the passenger seat too. If the headrests are different (I hadn't heard that one) I'm thinking about swapping them too. It definitely tilts too far forward.

I have had to endure severe neck pain due to the headrests tilting forward. I bought a Tesbeauty neck pillow and so far, it seems to do the trick. Haven’t been on a long drive though with the pillow..

Tesbeauty also has a lumbar pillow. Haven’t tried it yet. Quality is amazing. Soft leather!

TANOLA TESBEAUTY Tesla Seat... Amazon.com

Reactions: Technokrat